First Comp

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

mobbq USER_AVATAR
MOBBQ
Pilgrim

First Comp

Postby MOBBQ » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:03 pm

Went to my first KCBS comp/ first comp ever took 12 in ribs 13 in chicken and brisket out of 72 teams we were please for being our first ever comp. Here are some pics of our meats let me know what you think :joker:
Bucky's Badass BBQ
If your not licking your fingers its not good BBQ!!!!!!!!
geeksmoke USER_AVATAR
GeekSmoke
Rustler

Re: First Comp

Postby GeekSmoke » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:06 pm

Great job!

Where was the comp?
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."-John 15:13
"Who is John Galt?"-Ayn Rand
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."-Adam Savage
mobbq USER_AVATAR
MOBBQ
Pilgrim

Postby MOBBQ » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:10 pm

In Saint Joseph Mo
Bucky's Badass BBQ
mobbq USER_AVATAR
MOBBQ
Pilgrim

Postby MOBBQ » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:14 pm

Can anybody tell me who the older guy in the picture with me is?.......If your really a true BBQ guy you should now..... :laughing7:
Bucky's Badass BBQ
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:32 pm

That is Johnny Trigg from Alvarado. Super nice guy.Are you his bus driver? :lol:
Those are some really nice looking trays and a big congrats on your first comp.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
mobbq USER_AVATAR
MOBBQ
Pilgrim

Postby MOBBQ » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:36 pm

No meet him at the American Royal last year and he talked to me for about 45 mins and told me some tips. I just started on the comp side this year and he helped a lot with his tips. And yes he is a really nice guy. Did you see anything I could do to help with my boxs?
Bucky's Badass BBQ
queʹa syde USER_AVATAR
Que'a Syde
Cowboy

Postby Que'a Syde » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:51 pm

i see 3 meats..where is the 4th...lol..No pork Shoulder? as a n00b myslef the only thing that really stood out to me was the brisket box looked a bit lopsided..it woulda looked neater if u went from large to small starting with the larger pieces in the back..the larger pieces in the front just makes it look a bit off and would go against ya in appearance..and im not sure what the orange stuff is but gives a tinge,thats the best word i can describe, on the other pieces behind it..i would have judged it a 7 on the score sheet if i judged it at a comp on just appearance..on the chicken it looks good cept for the 3 in the first row..specially the middle one..the other 6 look good..i would have given it a 7 as well..The ribs look awsome..i would have scored u an 8 on those for appearance..I am just going on my 1 time judgin a kcbs event..so please take this with a grain of salt...or pepper if u prefer..lol...i am taking the official class at the bedford event..and as always im sure the oldtimers will take me to task if im talkin out my butt...lol.. :geek:
East Texas Smoker RK250/Autism edition
Fat Ash Drum Smoker
KCBS Memeber #60187
KCBS Certified Judge #60187
MBN Member #T110238
mobbq USER_AVATAR
MOBBQ
Pilgrim

Postby MOBBQ » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:01 pm

Here is the pick of my pork butt. I did get one judge to give me all 9's on my chicken, I cook 12 pieces and that was the bust 9 out of them. I learned my lesson on that going to cook 24 pieces from here on out. The stuff on my brisket is the rub, thanks for input on the place of the slices tho.
Bucky's Badass BBQ
queʹa syde USER_AVATAR
Que'a Syde
Cowboy

Postby Que'a Syde » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:03 pm

that is an awsome looking pork box...makes me hungry lookin at it and i just ate dinner...lol...and i plan on cookin 25 thighs myself so i understand what u mean about getting consisten pieces...but u are on a great track ..i hope i can fair as well on my first comp in a few weeks...
East Texas Smoker RK250/Autism edition
Fat Ash Drum Smoker
KCBS Memeber #60187
KCBS Certified Judge #60187
MBN Member #T110238
n2dabluebbq USER_AVATAR
n2dabluebbq
Bandolero

Postby n2dabluebbq » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:53 am

ok now i have to say something i really hate...... it appears that you might want to fill your boxes a little better concerning the "salad". the lettuce/parsley needs to be more uniformed in presentation. looking like the meat is sort of floating on it. but not riding on top. make sense? i hope so.
on the chicken, any particular reason you put nine in? six is required and seven is often done. but nine? just more pieces to go against you. just saying. the other thing is maybe work on your brush marks on the chicken.
something we have been applying is to look t the pictures after the comp and forget that it's your box. what would you tell someone else to do to make it better? for example maybe you might say, don't lay your brisket in a angle. but by the same token maybe you would say to do just that. follow?

either way congratulations on hitting that high in the field first time out. seems you are on a path to success at that rate.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:19 am

Loved the photos, good lookin meat, but there was some strange green stuff growing in your box...I know they do it elsewhere, but it doesn't happen down here. Admittedly a nit pick and falls under the catergory of "different" not necessarily better or worse...

Do I also detect a mustard based wet or paste rub on your brisket? Just curious.

Great photo to have with the great Trig...
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
mobbq USER_AVATAR
MOBBQ
Pilgrim

Postby MOBBQ » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:45 pm

Boots wrote:Loved the photos, good lookin meat, but there was some strange green stuff growing in your box...I know they do it elsewhere, but it doesn't happen down here. Admittedly a nit pick and falls under the catergory of "different" not necessarily better or worse...

Do I also detect a mustard based wet or paste rub on your brisket? Just curious.

Great photo to have with the great Trig...

No its not mustard based or paste its a dry rub. I use a Texas crutch method for the brisket to keep the flat moist, that is why it looks wet. I do get a drier bark on my burnt ends due to putting it the point back on the pit for anther 3 hours.

Sorry about the grenn stuff you have to use it in the KCBS..... :banghead:
Bucky's Badass BBQ
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:04 pm

I get it on the green stuff, no criticism at all, just a leg pull.

Ok, I can completely see where the rub, with a lot of paprika or chile say, would develop a lot of orange color there. Mine is simply different, comes out looking like black anthracite coal, which I've always seen as a common Texas thing, and admit I love the crunchy bark exterior.

Really pretty lookin' box, and the thighs and ribbies look dynamite.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”