Pinto beans

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rsfisher4
Rustler

Re: Pinto beans

Postby rsfisher4 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:22 pm

I got the call in Brady...2nd and 1st! I looked at my new cookoff buddies and told them...it will never happen again! Best beans EVER! Just like my homemade sauce...
Pit Boss of The Redneck Cooking Crew
and The Redneck Cooking Crew's Pit Master's
best half.
BigDave
Bandolero

Postby BigDave » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:27 am

Chitlins Rule wrote:real funny guys lolololo

Well just whut wuz so dang funny? Told ya how to cook em. Oh, you want a champeen winning recipe again! OK, here tis a small tip. Spend some time on a stock before you get to the comp and use that instead of water. Pork of some kind is always a good start.
Chitlins Rule
Wrangler

Postby Chitlins Rule » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:32 am

Big Dave, I don't be needin any of yo, CHAMPEEN advice, I am new to the forum, if you go back to my Brisket help question, i was very happy to give yo my full rib recipe, good luck wit it, has one 1st 5 times this year, give it yo best shot.
BigDave
Bandolero

Postby BigDave » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:26 pm

Glad to hear it Chitlin. We didn't need yore rib recipe neither but I'm sure a lot of folks will try it out. Use the stock ideer on the beans and you will do well. :D We don't ever win nuthin! :D :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8) :P :P :P :P :P
Chitlins Rule
Wrangler

Postby Chitlins Rule » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:38 pm

Glad to be of some help, like I said I am new to the forum, and didn't know I was stepping on toes here to ask for help, I never said I was doing well with chicken, have gotten lucky and won a few cookoffs in my first year of competition. Was just wondering about brisket from some people who have been doing it a lot longer than I have.
BigDave
Bandolero

Postby BigDave » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:03 pm

Well its always good to have a little luck going yer way at these contests. You probably have some good Q but are experiencing whut we ole timers call "taste impaired judges"! I'm not upset...just messing with ya! Good luck on the winners circle. :D
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:24 pm

Chitlins Rule wrote:Glad to be of some help, like I said I am new to the forum, and didn't know I was stepping on toes here to ask for help, I never said I was doing well with chicken, have gotten lucky and won a few cookoffs in my first year of competition. Was just wondering about brisket from some people who have been doing it a lot longer than I have.

Are these sanctioned or UN-sanctioned events?....and what kind of brisket help do you need?.....you can get all tyhe help you ever wanted by attending my cooking class....just IMHO..... :dont: :lol:
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:31 pm

3 star redneck wrote:
Chitlins Rule wrote:Glad to be of some help, like I said I am new to the forum, and didn't know I was stepping on toes here to ask for help, I never said I was doing well with chicken, have gotten lucky and won a few cookoffs in my first year of competition. Was just wondering about brisket from some people who have been doing it a lot longer than I have.

Are these sanctioned or UN-sanctioned events?....and what kind of brisket help do you need?.....you can get all tyhe help you ever wanted by attending my cooking class....just IMHO..... :dont: :lol:

I thought I saw you humble once but you recovered..... :laughing7:
tarde venientibus ossa....
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:42 pm

Papa Tom wrote:
3 star redneck wrote:

I thought I saw you humble once but you recovered..... :laughing7:

:roll: Just trying to be humble.. :angel1: ....but honset... :mrgreen: :lol:

Hook Em' Horns
Chitlins Rule
Wrangler

Postby Chitlins Rule » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:28 pm

You know fellow bbq'ers, I am far from being a kiddo @51 yrs old, I have been cooking Q for a long long time, but never in competition, from the two I won, Liberty Hill was Sanctioned and Taylor SPJST cookoff was not, but a nice field of 74 teams, so yes I'm proud but am humble because I have had my butt whipped too. Listen it was not my intention to stir the pot, Big Dave I respect your opinion and will try some type of stock for beans, which I know is a crap shoot anyway, I just want to become a well rounded and consistant cooker, but I understand consistant does not always equal victory, flavor profiles change from area to area. Just wanted input from some seasoned cookers (no pun Intended ) that have been there and done that so to speak. :potty: :whiteflag:
Chitlins Rule
Wrangler

Postby Chitlins Rule » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:31 pm

and the message highlighted in red, you might want to highlight where it says "ihave gotten lucky " right before the rest of the sentence.
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:56 pm

Chitlins Rule wrote:and the message highlighted in red, you might want to highlight where it says "ihave gotten lucky " right before the rest of the sentence.

:lol: :lol: :lol: hang in there...

Hook Em' Horns
BigDave
Bandolero

Postby BigDave » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:20 pm

Chitlins Rule wrote:You know fellow bbq'ers, I am far from being a kiddo @51 yrs old, I have been cooking Q for a long long time, but never in competition, from the two I won, Liberty Hill was Sanctioned and Taylor SPJST cookoff was not, but a nice field of 74 teams, so yes I'm proud but am humble because I have had my butt whipped too. Listen it was not my intention to stir the pot, Big Dave I respect your opinion and will try some type of stock for beans, which I know is a crap shoot anyway, I just want to become a well rounded and consistant cooker, but I understand consistant does not always equal victory, flavor profiles change from area to area. Just wanted input from some seasoned cookers (no pun Intended ) that have been there and done that so to speak. :potty: :whiteflag:

Now that Taylor cookoff is a nice one. We cooked that one a few years back. I thought that was a Central Texas BBQ sanctioned deal. They still making those real nice wood trophies for 1st place that look like Texas? At 51 you still need some seasoning you young pup! :D :lol:
geeksmoke USER_AVATAR
GeekSmoke
Rustler

Postby GeekSmoke » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:23 pm

If yaw start comparing the quality of your dentures, I'm out of here. Get it? Beause yaw are old. Ha Ha Ha
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."-John 15:13
"Who is John Galt?"-Ayn Rand
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."-Adam Savage
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:41 pm

I generally follow the charro beans concept and like the cilantro in mine for cooking for the home folks, sounds like that may be a drag in competition. My cook buddies beans for Taylor were rockin' and first rate. He used cilantro and a kind of meat (hard sausage I think) called "tasso" (sp?) ground fine, and some fine ground peppers, not sure which kind, looked like serranos and sparingly included. Sure thing they would put the lead back in your pencil, excellent chow. Didn't place, now I think I know why, maybe too much cilantro and maybe a little fire forward on the heat. Maybe they want something "less in your face", but I like beans that kick butt.

I've used a moderately fried and finely chopped maple or applewood smoked bacon in mine along with a little chunk of chipotle {again for the home folks) to good results, and have really thought hard about doing it with peppered bacon, which is, by the way, one of the great under-heralded but practically indispensible scientific discoveries of all time, ranking right up there with the keggerator and central air.

By the way the Mi Concina mexican food chain around Dallas, of all things, makes some of the best charro beans I have had. Ribeye tacos ain't bad either. First and last free advertising I'll give to a chain restaurant.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”