Help me with Brisket,

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Chitlins Rule
Wrangler

Help me with Brisket,

Postby Chitlins Rule » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:44 am

Guys I have had a successful year, but I cannot get my Brisket in the top 10, I have the great smoke ring, tender but not falling apart. It has to be my flavor profile so I am asking for advice. If i could have placed Brisket in the top 10, I would have won two other cookoffs, besides the other two I have won, but still behind in the COTY standings by 26 points. Anybody willing to share some advice on Brisket!
BigDave
Bandolero

Re: Help me with Brisket,

Postby BigDave » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:49 am

So just whut be yore chicken and rib secrets? :D :lol:
Chitlins Rule
Wrangler

Postby Chitlins Rule » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:00 pm

Put'em on :violent: :violent: , cook'em, tak'em off!
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:02 pm

More than likely it is your rub. Is it over powering the flavor of the brisket? To spicy? To Sweet? Most Judges are a strange lot and their Palates change depending on where you are at. Some like sweet some little spice, and others want to only taste the meat. Just like in the restaurant business you have to cook to the taste of the clients even if you don't like the taste your self.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
s.o.l. bbq USER_AVATAR
S.O.L. BBQ
Cowboy

Postby S.O.L. BBQ » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:09 pm

Tell us how your doing your brisket then we might be able to give some advice. The way it is now we do not know how your cooking it or type of rub such as home made store brand do you inject or not type of wood cooking temp. Help us out so we can help you out.
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:54 pm

All of the current crop of winners are injecting. Its on this forum but I didnt tell U ok.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
rsfisher4
Rustler

Postby rsfisher4 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:21 pm

I'm glad you are having a successful year. We are not. Worst circuit ever, so much that we are throwing out our spices and starting over after 3 years. :banghead:

I hear the same about injecting. I also hear that 2 weeks prior to cookoff, you should store your packer brisket in your frig to let the fat start to break down. I hear fast and hot for 5 hours is they way to go. I hear wood burquetts (sp) is the new way to burn for longer and even heat. :dont:

Does this help? :imwith:
Pit Boss of The Redneck Cooking Crew
and The Redneck Cooking Crew's Pit Master's
best half.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:41 pm

BigDave wrote:So just whut be yore chicken and rib secrets? :D :lol:

I'm with Big Dave here ...we're having trouble with chicken & ribs lil' help por favor....
PS I don't think Big Dave really needs any chicken help he's just phishin'...... :)
tarde venientibus ossa....
BigDave
Bandolero

Postby BigDave » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:25 pm

Howdy Papa Tom! Naw...twasn't phishin. I just kinda from the old school and like to give more than take. We had someone bragging on how well they have done except fer brisket and want help. But, don't want to divulge why they done good in yardbird and ribs. Gimme some help but I keeps my yardbird and rib secrets close to the vest. Seems like a very one sided deal to me.

When I called em on it, their answer is throw it on the fire and cook it! So......
All a brisket needs is salt, peppa & garlic. All in copious quantities. Well maybe some onyawn too! :) well maybe some seasoned salt instead of plain ole salt. :) Well maybe.......... :P :P :roll: :roll: 8) 8) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
backyard
Wrangler

Postby backyard » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:58 am

I'm glad to hear you are having success in ribs and chicken!! What sets your brisket apart from the othes? Consider this next question....

What is the first thing you put on your brisket on Friday?????
(I'm not talking about TQ or Injections)

Look back at your process notes and ponder it for a while. Just my 2 cents.
queʹa syde USER_AVATAR
Que'a Syde
Cowboy

Postby Que'a Syde » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:00 am

u know as a n00b i cant really add much but i was pondering this...i have the butcher bbq injection as well as the prime dust..i have been experimenting in my home over the last 6 months or so with diff rub combos..varying spices and marinadin..In the short time ive been practicing i have noticed 1 thing about rubs..alot i have seen try to cover the entire spice pallet by mixing the qunaities to get a pleaseing flavor..i have found that on the last 2 i cooked..i used a very basic rub..like 5 ingredients max..i didint inject or marinade and it came out very well..now im not arguing against anything or saying this is the way to go...but i did notice, to me, that the last 2 i cooked, with a combo of red oak/pecan/hickory, had the best flavor so far and tasted very beefy...so IDK..me personaly im going to go try 2 diff rubs at comp see which one taste better and use it..ill prob inejct and marinade one and not the other..see how it tastes...but i suggest try simple..i was supised at how well it came out..and i tried hot and fast on my last one..i didint mess it up but that technique is something i am considering as well..good luck and i hope this diatribe was helpful :geek:
East Texas Smoker RK250/Autism edition
Fat Ash Drum Smoker
KCBS Memeber #60187
KCBS Certified Judge #60187
MBN Member #T110238
BigDave
Bandolero

Postby BigDave » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:20 am

que a syde just one suggestion. Cook the briskets the same at comps. Do not ask how I know this! :D What will happen is one will taste better than the other, But the one that tatse better will the toughest. Now you have a problem choice to make. Practice at home. bring yer best to the comps. IMHO of course! :D
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:15 am

Que'a Syde wrote:u know as a n00b i cant really add much but i was pondering this...i have the butcher bbq injection as well as the prime dust..i have been experimenting in my home over the last 6 months or so with diff rub combos..varying spices and marinadin..In the short time ive been practicing i have noticed 1 thing about rubs..alot i have seen try to cover the entire spice pallet by mixing the qunaities to get a pleaseing flavor..i have found that on the last 2 i cooked..i used a very basic rub..like 5 ingredients max..i didint inject or marinade and it came out very well..now im not arguing against anything or saying this is the way to go...but i did notice, to me, that the last 2 i cooked, with a combo of red oak/pecan/hickory, had the best flavor so far and tasted very beefy...so IDK..me personaly im going to go try 2 diff rubs at comp see which one taste better and use it..ill prob inejct and marinade one and not the other..see how it tastes...but i suggest try simple..i was supised at how well it came out..and i tried hot and fast on my last one..i didint mess it up but that technique is something i am considering as well..good luck and i hope this diatribe was helpful :geek:

Agree with you totally brother. At home when the brisket is for me i don't inject as that natural beefy flavor is my preference. I have cooked two many times one injected one not at home for family and friends, they pick the injected brisket every time. my personal rub is simple too. Salt, pepper, garlic, onion, chili powder. Not many rubs on shelf I have not tried and that simple one is still my favorite.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
ezbbq USER_AVATAR
ezbbq
Cowboy

Postby ezbbq » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:30 pm

Chitlins Rule wrote:Put'em on :violent: :violent: , cook'em, tak'em off!

That's how I cook my brisket! :shock: :mrgreen: :stir:
Shiner Bock is the grease that helps us slide thru life.

New R&O smoker - Flaco
One chicken cookin' WSM - R2D2
worchard USER_AVATAR
worchard
Rustler

Postby worchard » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:25 am

ezbbq wrote:
Chitlins Rule wrote:Put'em on :violent: :violent: , cook'em, tak'em off!

That's how I cook my brisket! :shock: :mrgreen: :stir:

:laughing7: :laughing7: :imwith:
Diamond Plate FAT 50 Square
Team Grills Gone Wild - We Smokin'!

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”