Help me with Brisket,

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Re: Help me with Brisket,

Postby 3 star redneck » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:27 am

ezbbq wrote:
Chitlins Rule wrote:Put'em on :violent: :violent: , cook'em, tak'em off!

That's how I cook my brisket! :shock: :mrgreen: :stir:

me tooooo..... :dont: :mrgreen: :roll:
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
txngent USER_AVATAR
txngent
Bandolero

Postby txngent » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:36 am

Chitlins.... remember, the judges only get one bite. I know the way I cook for at home will not be the way I have to cook for a comp. You have to concentrate the best flavor profile into one bite. Now... what does your brisket taste like in that bite?
One Backwoods Fatboy, One Traeger Texas Grill, just looking for a trailer!
Randy
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:25 pm

ezbbq wrote:
Chitlins Rule wrote:Put'em on :violent: :violent: , cook'em, tak'em off!

That's how I cook my brisket! :shock: :mrgreen: :stir:

:laughing7: :laughing7: Beat me to it ...
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
Chitlins Rule
Wrangler

Postby Chitlins Rule » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:40 pm

The night before I put a little tender quick on for about 45 minutes just help with smoke ring, I neutralize and wash that off with a lemon lime soda, and then wash with water and trim. I season with a spice i have made with salt, pepper Garlic powder and paprika and let set over night. I smoke the brisket about four hours then wrap in tinfoil until tender, let stand about an hour. Texture is usually good along with tenderness.
rsfisher4
Rustler

Postby rsfisher4 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:35 pm

At 4 hours, I take it your cooking hot and fast? Do you like the taste of your brisket?
Pit Boss of The Redneck Cooking Crew
and The Redneck Cooking Crew's Pit Master's
best half.
Chitlins Rule
Wrangler

Postby Chitlins Rule » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:44 pm

let me re-state, I smoke for 4 hours, then in tin foil for 4 hrs. Rustler, I see your from Liberty Hill. That's what I don't understand, they loved it in Liberty Hill, won 1st place brisket, and overall, had a third in ribs, 8th chicken. I just don't get it. But I'll figure it out, that's what keeps me doing this. :angryfire: :angryfire:
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:42 pm

Chitlins Rule wrote:The night before I put a little tender quick on for about 45 minutes just help with smoke ring, I neutralize and wash that off with a lemon lime soda, and then wash with water and trim. I season with a spice i have made with salt, pepper Garlic powder and paprika[ and let set over night. I smoke the brisket about four hours then wrap in tinfoil until tender, let stand about an hour. Texture is usually good along with tenderness.
Theres your problem you rub is bland add some heat, and give it more smoke. IMO 4 Hrs aint enough. You have to learn what the judges like!! You know what they like in Liberty Hill so repeat it the next time you cook Liberty Hill, the next stop they will like something different. Find the best BBQ place in the town your cookin in and eat their BBQ, chances those are the flavors that will win.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
rsfisher4
Rustler

Postby rsfisher4 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:14 am

So, it was YOU that took OUR 1st place brisket! (JKing :lol: ) Don't bank on Liberty Hill! We have cooked in that comp for 4 years and it's a different outcome every year using the same method. We walk away scratching our heads. We only tabled in our sauces. Then we turn around we take 1st and 2nd in beans at another...go figure.

Truth be told, we have done really bad this year, that we are starting over. We want to try different methods, but with the prices of beef, it's hard to practice. I'm gonna sit out our next comp and I'm gonna judge to see what we are missing.

When is your next cookoff and where are you from?
best half.
txluke USER_AVATAR
txluke
Wrangler

Postby txluke » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:28 pm

I quit cooking whole briskets. I started going to Sam's and getting choice angus flats. I cook them the same way I cook the other brisket but I went from never getting a call to getting 5 top 10 finishes in the five cookoffs I have used them. They only cost a little more than a whole brisket, are smaller so they cook quicker and they are a lot higher quality of meat.
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:52 am

When you factor in the shrinkage of a whole packer and the trim you throw away those flats don't really cost more at all and as you say are indeed much better quality imo too.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
Chitlins Rule
Wrangler

Postby Chitlins Rule » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:53 pm

Rustler, I live in the big city of Holland Tx. not to far from you, cooked at Morgans Point VFD cookoff thias weekend. 1st place ribs, final table chicken and brisket. My next cookoff will be in Little River, World Bean and BBQ cookoff, lots of fun.
rsfisher4
Rustler

Postby rsfisher4 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:58 am

Chitlins....check your PM :upside:
best half.
Chitlins Rule
Wrangler

Postby Chitlins Rule » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:32 pm

oh by the way, not doing good on chicken either, will be glad to spill my rib secret, Tony Checeres cajun, alittle black pepper, williams rib tickler and KC masterpiece sauce, with some additives, changes in what area I am in, will sweeten occasionally, smoke for three, light sauce, wrap and cook for two, unwrap hour before turn in and add more sauce, there you have it.

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”