Smoke Ring Question

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

funfoodie USER_AVATAR
Funfoodie
Pilgrim

Smoke Ring Question

Postby Funfoodie » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:29 am

Howdy! I haven't posted in a long time, but hadn't been doing much on the bbq. :)

I purchased a Weber One-Touch Gold with Smokenator and smoked the ribs that are the green tray a few months ago. I did two racks of pork ribs with one rack being on the Smokenator's Hovergrill over the other rack at 200-225 degrees for 6-7 hours (if I remember correctly)

I now have purchased the Char-Griller Duo 5050 with side smoke box and smoked ribs that are on the yellow plate a couple of days ago. I did two racks of baby back ribs side by side at 225-250 degrees for 4 hours.

Both tasted delicious (in my opinion). I believe the texture of the recent ribs (yellow plate) was a bit more soft, but was not falling off the bone.

The smoke rings are definitely different as the 1st ribs had a darker pink ring and the 2nd ribs had a light pink throughout. What should they look like and what do competition judges look for?
Newbie to charcoal
Weber One-Touch Gold 22.5" & Smokenator 1000 w/Hovergrill
Char-Griller Duo S-5050 Black Gas & Charcoal Grill w/Side Smoke Box
queʹa syde USER_AVATAR
Que'a Syde
Cowboy

Re: Smoke Ring Question

Postby Que'a Syde » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:18 am

The smoke rings are definitely different as the 1st ribs had a darker pink ring and the 2nd ribs had a light pink throughout. What should they look like and what do competition judges look for?

I can tell u from the kcbs standpoint a smokering on ribs is not looked at...im not sure bout the other ruling bodies but ive always been told that its the appearance of the meat the look, as far as the outside, color-presentation arrangment-sauce.. they want it to looks so tasty they cant wait to dive in..but u dont want goopy glops of sauce or schmeers all over the box either and no pooling of sauce in the bottom..meat has to be one bite awsome..and be able to bite through without the entire rib pulling away from the bone..ie overcoooked..or too tough..ie undercooked..Im still learning myslef but this is what i have gleaned from my meer 2 years of studyin the aspects b4 i dove into comps...but ther are others that have WAY more exp that will chime in im sure...good luck and those ribs looked tasty... And the diff on smokering intensity will come from how long ur ribs were exposed to the smoke in cooking as well as to what type of wood u were using to smoke with...I think...lol... :geek:
East Texas Smoker RK250/Autism edition
Fat Ash Drum Smoker
KCBS Memeber #60187
KCBS Certified Judge #60187
MBN Member #T110238
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:33 am

Smoke ring is not a part it the judging criteria in Texas bbq cook offs.
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
funfoodie USER_AVATAR
Funfoodie
Pilgrim

Postby Funfoodie » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:12 am

Thank you so much for your responses! I am not planning on doing comps anytime soon, but have been watching a lot of the bbq shows on cable and they make it seem that the bark & ring are critical.

So there is not a particular "look" of the ring that you have to worry about...just that it has one? I thought it had to be graduated color to the bone.

I do understand that the meat has to be tender yet stay on the bone...leave a bite imprint is what I have heard.
Newbie to charcoal
Weber One-Touch Gold 22.5" & Smokenator 1000 w/Hovergrill
Char-Griller Duo S-5050 Black Gas & Charcoal Grill w/Side Smoke Box
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:53 am

you are correct...If you smoke with wood you will alway have a smoke ring...
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
n2dabluebbq USER_AVATAR
n2dabluebbq
Bandolero

Postby n2dabluebbq » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:59 pm

something to consider is that a smoke ring can be chemically induced. there was a time when smoking meat induced it, but alas you can't count on that anymore(sad).
as far as your results go, there will a difference between the way a upright cooks vs a offset. also the amount of wood vs charcoal used for fuel.
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:36 am

Most judges don't like real pink ribs, its a mental thing about being raw even if they are not, a little ring is okay but not too much for better scores. A well cooked and juicy tasty rib is always a winner at comps and at home with family and friends.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:52 pm

Never really heard judges caring much about a smoke ring on ribs... primarily it's brisket. Having a brisket exposed to smoke for atleast 4 hrs will generally take care of it. If you want a little more "assistance" with adding a ring, see if you can find a rub that is somewhat high in salt. Smoke rings are cause by nitric acid in the meat and salt helps bring it to the top, forming the outter ring.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
txngent USER_AVATAR
txngent
Bandolero

Postby txngent » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:25 am

It is a known fact that an uneducated judge will judge more on appearance than what an educated judge. This is why some will alter the appearance with a "helper" called Tender Quick. Applying Tender Quick or other curing salts will give a pink/red ring around the meat even if you cook it in the oven. Too much or too long absorption time will give the meat a real dark red color. This is one of the main problems with cooking ribs that are "enhanced" as this is generally a salty brine type injection and will render a pink/dark red color as well as give the meat a "hammy" taste. I've seem people chosen to judge (not calling them judges), that would table talk about how the smoke ring shows a good smoke time... by the time a table judge could shut them up, it is too late to take the image out of the other chosen people's mind.

From what I gather the Texas BBQ comps are generally the same teachings.... we are judging the taste and textue... not the appearance as much, hence the non-presence of greenery on the turn in. However, I just have always been brought up that it has to look good enough to eat before you want to eat it. Well, till I started getting hungry! :D
One Backwoods Fatboy, One Traeger Texas Grill, just looking for a trailer!
Randy

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”