The Scenario

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

b-hillʹs bbq USER_AVATAR
B-hill's BBQ
Cowboy

The Scenario

Postby B-hill's BBQ » Mon May 30, 2011 1:50 am

I want to venture into the competition realm and there is the Freeport Cook-off the first and second of July coming around and the wife finally gave me a green light. :mrgreen: All I have to cook with currently is my old country smoker and a 5 year old chargriller. Definately better qualtiy chargriller than what I have seen coming around lately though. I don't have a trailer and with these two smoker I was wondering if people are rolling theirs up onto their truck or not? I would be a team of one and expect to camp out on the grounds in my small dome tent. They say there is no power there so I was looking at getting a small generator and of course there is the need of the 10x10 e z ups. I have the two checklists that have been going around, but I don't want to get in over my head if I am missing anything. I have been going over the previous posts of the first timers and reviewing their questions, but my biggest concern is if it is feasible to roll the old country smoker into the bed of a pick up, or should I stick with the smaller smoker? And of course, and good words of advice is greatly appreciated.
Brian, BMC USCG
Strive to be Saltier than a Pretzel
ecto1 USER_AVATAR
ecto1
Cowboy

Re: The Scenario

Postby ecto1 » Mon May 30, 2011 6:53 am

Dude I throw four UDS smokers in the back of my truck no worry. I have seen people cook on nothing but Ol Smokey's so take what you got. It is not a contest of who has the prettiest pit it is a contest of who can cook the best grub. As far as sleeping you will see a lot of tents not all of us can afford RV's. Heck at the last one I slept in the truck with my feet hanging out the window. It is gonna be hot in Freeport but keep an eye out for us we should be there.
"Intelligence is something we are born with. BBQ’ing is a skill that must be learned"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Fat-Ash-BBQ/204098269604777
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Mon May 30, 2011 11:16 am

Take what you got and cook the food you know how to cook and just have a good time... :lol:
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
southern pride bbq USER_AVATAR
Southern Pride BBQ
Bandolero

Postby Southern Pride BBQ » Mon May 30, 2011 12:36 pm

I started cooking with an oklahoma Joes pit (in competitions) and a brinkman smoke n grill loaded up up in the back of my truck, along with coolers, tent, washers boxes, tables and chairs......looked like a gypsy Carney coming to town going to a cookoff bro !!! Like Jeff said cook on what you know how to cook on and what you comfortable on......then afterwards if you feel like comps are the thing for you, you might wanna upgrade to a small stick burner trailer.....the most important thing to remember about bbq cook offs is to HAVE FUN !!!!!
Southern Pride BBQ Cooking Team, Waco TX

IF you can't Barbeque with the big dogs, stay on the Porch !!!

Now, I'm gonna put this charcoal in a nice Geometrical shape, called a PILE......
tuck USER_AVATAR
Tuck
Bandolero

Postby Tuck » Mon May 30, 2011 1:19 pm

B-hill's BBQ wrote:I want to venture into the competition realm and there is the Freeport Cook-off the first and second of July coming around and the wife finally gave me a green light. :mrgreen: All I have to cook with currently is my old country smoker and a 5 year old chargriller. Definately better qualtiy chargriller than what I have seen coming around lately though.1st. I'm with John <ecto1) I have two Purdy Drum Smokers ,one 55gal. ,one 15gal. I am a happy Flyin'Pig Cooker! I don't have a trailer and with these two smoker I was wondering if people are rolling theirs up onto their truck or not? [2.Roll with what ever you've got it is not about the equptiment it's about the food . I would be a team of one and expect to camp out on the grounds in my small dome tent. They say there is no power there so I was looking at getting a small generator and of course there is the need of the 10x10 e z ups. 3. Small generator 2000watt Sportsman about $299.00 @ Tractor Supply . I have the two checklists that have been going around, but I don't want to get in over my head if I am missing anything. I have been going over the previous posts of the first timers and reviewing their questions, but my biggest concern is if it is feasible to roll the old country smoker into the bed of a pick up, or should I stick with the smaller smoker? 5. Cook with what your comfortable , YOU ARE ON A TIME MANAGEMENT THING so you have a clock & a Temp gauge to judge your meat .[b/]And of course, and good words of advice is greatly appreciated.

[b]Dang if I don't sound like a REDNECK instructional tape ! See Jeff I did listen to all you & Sean had to agree with , so I guess U learned me well . REMEMBER THIS IS FUN !

Later
Tuck
:smokin:

P.S. We've got some unsanctioned cookoffs up here in Austin County (Bellville area ) that is what I am getting my feet wet first before I jump off into a large fire . The ICBA cook is in LaGrange Tx. next weekend , but it is too big for me yet . Have a Bellville Vol. Fire Dept Station3 cook @ Cochran ,Tx Between Bellville & Hempstead on Hiway 159 . June 11,2011
Porkaholic : No Need to Rehabilitate !

"Incoming gunfire has the right of way!"
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Mon May 30, 2011 2:06 pm

You go Tuck!!!!! I know a guy that may need to sneak off one week end to come be your Pit B%$#@H...lol...
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”