Sponsors, how do it work?

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

pony express USER_AVATAR
Pony Express
Outlaw

Sponsors, how do it work?

Postby Pony Express » Wed May 04, 2011 5:00 pm

Those of you that have sponsors, how does it work ?

do they give you money to use for entry fees, gas, meat etc?

do they give you product?

I haven't a clue!

What do they get in return?
Charmglo gasser,
New Braunfels offset smoker
Custom trailer pit offset smoker

Git-er done
GIG EM
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Re: Sponsors, how do it work?

Postby 3 star redneck » Wed May 04, 2011 7:47 pm

Mine give me money and or meat,wood etc....I keep all th winnings and they get the trophy , usually after bout a month they give the trophy back. In return I fly a banner for them or / and give out samples, business cards . Bout twice a yr I will cook/ entertain the big wigs on a Friday nite
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Thu May 05, 2011 7:06 pm

I suppose it could work many ways. A good friend sponsers my team just cause he loves the cook offs but not the hard work. He pays for everything and keeps the trophys and we split the winnings. Almost always breaks even at the very least, couple weeks ago we split $1350 for Grand Champion, all expenses meat entry ect comes out of his 1/2. I get to keep the GC trophys and he keeps all the others. Should be 40 to 50 teams this weekend we'll see how it goes.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Thu May 12, 2011 9:08 pm

Kinda depends on the individual or business... some give cash, others will go shopping with us and put product on a company cc. Needless to say we entertain the first night with beer and food, invite them all out and throw a party. Makes for a long weekend when the following day is competition cooking but I guess it's the price you pay. When it comes to some of our bigger events (county fair) we have levels of sponsorship... 1st level may get them a shirt, a few koozies and food and beer... 2nd level might get them 2 shirts, a few koozies and a VIP badge into a fully catered area or AC tent if we have it.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun May 15, 2011 8:07 am

Y'all every thought of renting space on your pits like they to with cars in NASCAR?
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Tue May 17, 2011 4:57 pm

Never done anything like that. But if it's a larger event where we have some type of railing or fencing for our area we will hang a banner for the sponsor or have a banner made with their names on it. Not only does this help them with advertisement, but because it's essentially "marketing" it's a tax write off for them.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
RangerJ
Rustler

Postby RangerJ » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:57 am

Both of my sponsors provide me with product. I keep all winnings.

In return, I must fly their banner at competitions and promote their products via social networking and when talking to other cookers. They get to publish any results either on their web site or through other means. At the end of the year, we circle up and decide if the relationship remains beneficial to each.

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”