Cookoff Fajitas- suggestions?

All other competition related questions or comments about recipes, techniques, and related topics.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

NativeRoots
Pilgrim

Re: Cookoff Fajitas- suggestions?

Postby NativeRoots » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:54 am

Congrats!!! How did you do them? Please share the love.. :)
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:16 pm

NativeRoots wrote:Congrats!!! How did you do them? Please share the love.. :)

Shot you a PM :D
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
niget2002
Rustler

Postby niget2002 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:11 pm

I know you already have a secret for yourself, but all I'd like to add is that the only fajitas I've ever cooked that came out good were marinaded for at least overnight. Anything else just seems to come out tough.
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:42 am

niget2002 wrote:I know you already have a secret for yourself, but all I'd like to add is that the only fajitas I've ever cooked that came out good were marinaded for at least overnight. Anything else just seems to come out tough.

These were marinated for about 24 hrs ... I made the marinade at home and put in a container, as soon as the meat was inspected they got trimmed and thrown in a ziploc bag with the marinade.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:54 pm

jtilk wrote:
niget2002 wrote:I know you already have a secret for yourself, but all I'd like to add is that the only fajitas I've ever cooked that came out good were marinaded for at least overnight. Anything else just seems to come out tough.

These were marinated for about 24 hrs ... I made the marinade at home and put in a container, as soon as the meat was inspected they got trimmed and thrown in a ziploc bag with the marinade.

Ya still aint talkin hugh?
I always thought I was the originator of the italian dressing on fajitas, was doing it back in 1981
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:29 pm

I spoke, just didn't post it on here. I shot NativeRoots a PM... I will say though that the marinade was almost more of a "paste" created from alot of chopped onion, garlic, orange juice and some other spices.

I'm not sure who originate the whole Italian dressing on fajitas or using it on chicken, but it's popular as all get out. Which is why I dont use it, kinda hard to stand out in judging when 70% of the teams use it :shock:
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:02 pm

New Country wrote:
RWBTEX wrote:I always thought I was the originator of the italian dressing on fajitas, was doing it back in 1981

I'm quite sure fajitas weren't invented until 1983, so apparently someone stole your patent pending :P

Ha ha we (our families) were eating fajitas in the early to mid 70's back when no one knew what the heck they were. then they were one of those cheap throw away cuts no one knew what top do with and I really was using that dressing in 81 and remember friends all wanting to know what that secret marinade was that made the meat so awesome. I was 20yrs old btw. :)
Hasty Bake Legacy
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
and then some
atcnick USER_AVATAR
atcNick
Outlaw

Cookoff Fajitas- suggestions?

Postby atcNick » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:00 pm

Man you guys got me drooling. On the way home this evening I stopped at SAMs and walmart picked up a 40 lb bag of mesquite lump, couple pounds of skirt and some fiesta fajita mesquite seasoning and tortillas. Got them marinating right now and gonna grill them for lunch at work tomorrow. Do you guys cook them hot n fast all the way or sear them then off to the side to finish cooking?

I remember first time I had fajitas. My dad was dating a Mexican chick when I was a kid and she always grilled them. Man they were so good and I haven't had them the same since. I hope this is the same technique. I'll post pics

-Nick via Tapatalk
-Nick

Custom R&O Offset
Lang 84D w/Chargriller SOLD
Weber Performer
22" Weber One Touch Gold Kettle
18" Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Smokey Joe
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:21 pm

I grill them like a steak and let them rest a little while in foil before slicing, dont overcook them.
Hasty Bake Legacy
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
and then some
txluke USER_AVATAR
txluke
Wrangler

Postby txluke » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:25 pm

I love fiesta fajita seasoning. The plain, not mesquite. I mix it half n half with the red HEB red fajita seasoning. I like to buy a 20lb cryo bag of fajitas from Sam's and trim them up myself. I season them good and then jaccard the he'll out of them. Let them sit overnight. Pull them out and squeeze some lime juice on them and let them sit at room temp for an hr. Grill them as hot as you can and pull them off at med to med-rare. Let rest in foil for 30 min. I have quite a few trophies for my fajitas. If you use the jaccard they almost melt in your mouth.

Return to “Competition BBQ Discussion”