I made my second batch of homemade Tamales...

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

kenny 13 USER_AVATAR
Kenny 13
Outlaw

Re: I made my second batch of homemade Tamales...

Postby Kenny 13 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:06 pm

ChileFarmer wrote:How much work involved in a 12 doz. batch? Is it tedious & time consuming?

Kenny, About 4 hours for 2 people, getting after it. But its a fun thing. CF :D[/quote]

4 hours doesn't sound too bad.
Large Big Green Egg
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold

What's On The Grill?
smokin burros bbq USER_AVATAR
Smokin Burros BBQ
Wrangler

Postby Smokin Burros BBQ » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:46 pm

lookin good, we are fixin to make are 3rd batch of 100+ doz. on Sat. been prepping all week. Hopefully we'll will only be at it for about 10 hours! Labor of love though, and most importantly, hundred year old family tradition. Can't wait to pass it down to my little ones.
txbbqgal USER_AVATAR
TXBBQGal
Wrangler

Postby TXBBQGal » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:13 am

LOL I had to look up what Manteca (which is lard for those like me who didn't know) was. Yep I used lard. I think that's the only good way to make them.

Surfinsapo wrote:They look good. Did you use manteca?
txbbqgal USER_AVATAR
TXBBQGal
Wrangler

Postby TXBBQGal » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:28 am

Thanks everyone! It is a lot of work and I do it all by myself :shock: I make about 5-6 dozen at a time. But I do the meat the day before and I figured I can get 1 dozen done in about 10 minutes.

Here's the recipe I used with a few minor alterations just in case any one's REALLY wanting to try their hands at it :wink:

Grandma Elena's Tamales

6lbs cooked pork meat (use pork butt or pork roast) I don’t eat pork (except bacon) so I use chicken you can do beef the same way too.
1 ½ heads of garlic
1 ½ Tbs cumin
2-3 Tbs salt
1Pkg (5oz) New Mexico Dried Chili Pods (I used the New Mexico and Casabel?? Chili Pods I think it was a 4 oz pkg of NM and 1 oz pkg of Casabel…
(I also added some of the Texas Gunpowder to it; along with some medium hot chili powder and ancho powder just kinda eyeballed it till I thought it looked right)
pork stock (use the water from boiled pork meat) (again I didn’t use pork so use your chicken stock)

Boil meat in a big pot of water with lid on, boil until meat separates from the bone. Uncover meat let it cool and reserve water. Grind meat using a meat grinder (a kitchenaid mixer one will work just make sure your chicken is really cold and no liquid in it or you can just use a food processor or food chopper) make sure that all bones and veins are removed. You can also cut meat about ½ inches long and the shred the meat.

While the meet is boiling, remove the seeds from the chili pods then boil in 4 cups of water in a separate pot for about 5 mins. Allow to cool. Remember to reserve the water.

Once the chili pods have cool, using a strainer press the chili pod until the meat of the pods passes through (this is step takes time you can also us a blender but you will have more the skin of the pods in the meat)

If you prefer to add jalapenos, boil the jalapenos and puree in a blender or food processor.
Put meat and all ingredients in pot with the pork stock, the reserve chili pod water stir occasionally for about 20-30 min

You can purchase the Masa from a local molino just ask for unprepared masa or if you cannot get fresh masa you can use the powdered form it just might be drier.
4lbs of unprepared masa
1lb of lard (heat in microwave for about 3min)
¼ cup chili powder
1/8 c salt
1pk of corn husk. Corn Husk should be soak in water the day before to soften at this time larger husk should also be cut in half.
surfinsapo USER_AVATAR
Surfinsapo
Outlaw

Postby Surfinsapo » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:35 am

Cool, thanks for the recipe!!!
ImageImage ImageImage
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:37 am

Yeah thanks gal I'm gonna have to see if I can get Mrs. PT to tag team with me and make some she loves tamales too.
tarde venientibus ossa....
txbbqgal USER_AVATAR
TXBBQGal
Wrangler

Postby TXBBQGal » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:09 pm

Once you make your own it's hard to go back to ones bought at the store or a place that makes tamales! Hope ya'll enjoy it!

Papa Tom wrote:Yeah thanks gal I'm gonna have to see if I can get Mrs. PT to tag team with me and make some she loves tamales too.

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”