Barbacoa!

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

mgwerks USER_AVATAR
mgwerks
Bandolero

Barbacoa!

Postby mgwerks » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:57 am

Contrary to some beliefs, barbacoa (bar-bah-COE-ah) is not Spanish for barbecue. Fairly well-known in South Texas and along the Mexican border, it remains either unknown or poorly-copied in most other areas of the country. After telling you the old way of preparing it, I'll show you a much simpler way that is every bit as good but much less work.

Traditional barbacoa de cabeza is made form a whole cow's head, which may be more of a challenge than most people want to take on! The head is then cleaned, eyes, ears and tongue removed, and then sprinkled liberally with salt and pepper. Then it is combined with chopped onions, garlic and maybe cilantro, wrapped in a burlap sack, then wrapped well in maguey leaves. A large hole in the ground is dig, and a large hardwood fire built in in. Once that is reduced to coals, the wrapped head is placed in it and covered with more leaves, dirt, and more coals. Then the whole thing is buried under more dirt and left alone all day, or even over night. The next day, you dig it up, and shred off all the meat you can. Quite a large production, but there is a simpler yet just as tasty method.

Barbacoa isn't just braised or baked beef, and it isn't pot roast made from a cow's head. What really gives barbacoa it's unique taste and texture is the quality of the fat and connective tissue that is unique to that part of the animal. Around here, you can generally buy barbacoa two ways - regular or all meat. The only difference is that the all meat barbacoa does not contain all the little glands and other parts which come from the head, it is only the meat itself. Call me a wuss, but I go the all-meat route. Unfortunately, many places serve 'barbacoa' made from all different parts of the cow - I've even heard of it being made from chuck roast or even bottom round and brisket! That's a shame, because the best and easiest way to make it only takes a little effort to locate just the right ingredient.
Above is a shot of two cryovac bags of cheek meat, about 3.5 lbs. each. Most of the good solid meat from the head comes from the cheek muscles, which obviously get a lot of exercise, as cows spend most of their lives eating. It's meat, just like a roast is meat, so there's no need to be squeamish about it. Ask your butcher, or in supermarkets that serve an Hispanic population, and you can find beef cheeks for sale fairly reasonably - these I picked up for $2.39/lb. Now I have to warn you, it doesn't look like a roast or steak might - it's pretty ugly stuff. But you can easily see that the fat and other tissue looks different that you are used to seeing, and that is what gives real barbacoa that special taste and mouth-feel. Nothing else will do, because like I said before, we aren't making pot roast here.
Preparation is simplicity. For each couple of lbs of meat you chop up one whole large onion, and add a rounded teaspoon of minced garlic. The recipe is scale-able for whatever amount of meat you use. Here I have used three very large onions, tossed in the garlic, and am sauteing it for a bit in some vegetable oil.
Once the onions are a bit translucent, in goes the meat. Some people say to remove the silver skin, hard fat and other things before cooking, but I find it much easier afterward. Water is added to almost cover, the pot is brought to a boil and then reduced to a simmer. Then the waiting game begins. This batch cooked for about 6 hours, or until the internal temperature in the thickest part of the meat reached about 200 degrees. You'll need to check occasionally to keep the liquid level up.
Once the meat is falling apart, you remove it from the cooking liquid. Reserve the liquid and strain out the vegetables.
Once it cools, you can shred the meat off of the remaining connective tissue, silver skin and other non-edibles. Nothing works better for this than hands; be prepared to spend a little time here so you don't miss any of the good stuff. Once shredded, the barbacoa will have a tendency to dry out rather quickly. I put the reserved strained liquid back in the pot, and add the meat back in. This will keep it tasty and moist, and you can serve it by straining or squeezing it out.
Barbacoa is a dish with a light and unique taste this can be lost if served among a lot of other flavors, like in enchiladas or other heavy sauces or salsas. Not that it wouldn't be good, but you'd miss some of the flavor nuances. Now on to the tortillas.
Since often corn tortillas can be rather delicate if just heated in a microwave, I give them a quick dip for just a few seconds in hot oil before serving. Just wait for the small bubbles in the tortilla and pull it out of the grease.
You don't want them crispy, but it gives them some firmness and keeps the tacos from falling apart. If you hear crunching when you fold them in half to drain, they might be overcooked. Just make sure and drain them well on paper towels.

In it's most traditional form, it is served on corn tortillas and topped with salt and pepper and sliced onions and chopped fresh cilantro leaves, then finished with a drizzle of lime juice. Sometimes, a simple fresh Pico de Gallo goes well. The meat is the focus, and all the waiting proves very worthwhile from the first bite. Here is a shot of the finished dish, prepared and served in the traditional style.
Barbacoa freezes very well, so preparing a large batch and saving some in vacuum sealed bags works well for always having it on hand when you want some! Here is 3 lbs. of today's batch headed for the freezer.
Oh, and that juice you reserved? Drizzle some of that on your dog's dinner and see how much he loves it!
Visit my Cooking Blog.

The Armada:
22.5" WSM
MES 30" shorty
42"x24" & 36"x16" stick burners
1966 CharBroil charcoal grill
Weber 18 1/2" Silver
Sam's 32-inch Stainless gas grill (it was free!)
tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Re: Barbacoa!

Postby tex_toby » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:22 am

I've gotta admit Mark, it looks pretty danged good. Like you said - It's meat from a cow. There's still just something about it though. I'll just have to not think about where it came from... :)

tex 8)
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.
bluz USER_AVATAR
Bluz
Outlaw

Postby Bluz » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:16 pm

If you can put it out of your mind, your in for a treat if it is properly done, and that looks very good to me.
Bluz

Bluz Q and Custom Cooking
Custom Trailer Pit(Mattie)
Weber Grill
Amana Gas Grill
Weber 22" WSM
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:04 am

Love it! Pass be about 6 of those tacos please!
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:32 am

What a great informative post! You are a very good teacher! It looks pretty good to me!
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:43 pm

Great post, Thanks. I noticed that Walmart in this area is carrying the cheek meat and wondered how a person would fix it.
Not squeamish when I was a kid we ate tongue and tail and other parts of the cow most folks leave alone.
tarde venientibus ossa....
mgwerks USER_AVATAR
mgwerks
Bandolero

Postby mgwerks » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:22 pm

Thanks, Tom. Tongue and tail are tasty too.

Get your minds out of the gutter!
Visit my Cooking Blog.

The Armada:
22.5" WSM
MES 30" shorty
Weber 18 1/2" Silver
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:27 pm

Won't be making this at my hovel anytime soon. Not that I wouldn't like it, but the Mrs.... . :roll: :lol: 8)
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
mgwerks USER_AVATAR
mgwerks
Bandolero

Postby mgwerks » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:54 pm

Dave,

Just make it on the sly, it freezes well, and serve it without explanation one morning. You don't have to have full disclosure!
Visit my Cooking Blog.

The Armada:
22.5" WSM
MES 30" shorty
Weber 18 1/2" Silver
rich777 USER_AVATAR
Rich777
Chuck Wagon

Postby Rich777 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:36 pm

I'm with James, pass me a big plate of those tacos please.
a stumpted toe hurts
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:20 am

Great post mgwerks. Thanks for the informative narrative and pictures. Grew up on a farm and slaughtered our own beef and hogs. And very few parts of the animal went to waste. Nowadays we have to pay for trimmings, innards, blood and oxtail.

a hui hou,
joe
honu41
rich777 USER_AVATAR
Rich777
Chuck Wagon

Postby Rich777 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:00 pm

I picked up two cryo-packs of cheek, slipped 'em in without anyone seeing. I have read this post over and over, gonna surprise some folks next weekend. Thanks mgwerks.
a stumpted toe hurts
mgwerks USER_AVATAR
mgwerks
Bandolero

Postby mgwerks » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:45 pm

RiIch, I'm dying to hear all about how it works out! I've always found it better to introduce the food and get them liking it before introducing the source. Somebody at Sundowner is in for a treat!
Visit my Cooking Blog.

The Armada:
22.5" WSM
MES 30" shorty
Weber 18 1/2" Silver
rich777 USER_AVATAR
Rich777
Chuck Wagon

Postby Rich777 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:10 pm

mgwerks wrote:RiIch, I'm dying to hear all about how it works out! I've always found it better to introduce the food and get them liking it before introducing the source. Somebody at Sundowner is in for a treat!

Turned out great, I followed your directions, no problem. Thanks for sharing.

a stumpted toe hurts
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:55 pm

That looks fantastic Rich! Send me about 6 of those tacos!

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”