Migas

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

mgwerks USER_AVATAR
mgwerks
Bandolero

Migas

Postby mgwerks » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:07 pm

Time for another Tex-Mex treat, only this time it's for breakfast (usually). Migas (mee-gahs -"crumbs" in Spanish) is prepared many different ways with differing ingredients, and mine are probably never the same twice. But it's a rich mixture of textures and flavors, and any decent plate of migas is always a treat. It seems that migas always contains eggs and corn tortilla strips - everything else is flexible.

I can't stress how important the practice of mise en place is in efficient cooking. A good discussion of it can be found about 1/3 of the way down the page here. In all but the simplest dishes, it makes cooking much easier and more stress-free, especially if things have to go fast at times. What is it? It is the of practice of gathering and preparing all your ingredients, tools and utensils ahead of time.

Anyway, here are the fresh ingredients for the migas I made this morning for breakfast. Large plate, clockwise from top: minced jalapeno, diced tomato, bell pepper, onion and red and yellow bell pepper. Also showm are shredded cheese, 6 eggs, pre-fried bacon and chopped sausage (chorizo works well here too), fried strips of red corn tortillas, and in the center - cilantro.

Start off by sauteeing the various peppers and onions until they just start to soften. It should only take a few minutes and a little bit of oil.

Next, I added in the bacon and sausage. Keep cooking until it is all well-heated. While this is happening, break and scramble the eggs. Save the tomatoes for later.

We're going to move fast now, so it's good to have everything ready to go. Add in the eggs, mixing to incorporate.

Now as the eggs are starting to cook, stir in the tortilla strips and incorporate. Just before the eggs have completely set, stir in the tomatos. Adding them at the end will preserve the color, testure and taste of them as opposed to tossing them in at the beginning. A nice fresh touch.

Keep a close eye on the food; be ready to plate at any time. The one thing you don't want to do is overcook the eggs, as people almost always do. Remember, they will keep cooking a bit after pulling form the pan, so leave them a bit soft.

Plate up the migas, salt and pepper to taste, and add the cheese right away if you are using it. Here I topped the whole thing with torn cilantro leaves and Búfalo hot sauce. Serve immediately. Prepare for appreciative comments.

Visit my Cooking Blog.

The Armada:
22.5" WSM
MES 30" shorty
42"x24" & 36"x16" stick burners
1966 CharBroil charcoal grill
Weber 18 1/2" Silver
Sam's 32-inch Stainless gas grill (it was free!)
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:35 pm

Dang - you are ringing my bell with migas! Nice looking plate. 8)
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:04 pm

Looks like that would hit the spot!
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:08 pm

MG, I have never eaten that but would, that looks mighty good. CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:12 am

Wow, that looks great!
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
rich777 USER_AVATAR
Rich777
Chuck Wagon

Postby Rich777 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:20 pm

That does look great. This is on the to do list for sure. Thanks for sharing.

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”