Use Extreme Caution - And then don't use.

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Postby Stan41 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:07 pm

I think the employee forgot how many scoops of habaneros he had added to my can.
Stan
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Stan,
Got the Rotels and Bird Peppers Yesterday!

Got to say that I really like this Bird Peppers. 1st thing I did was make a burrito using only refrieds and cheese and one pepper. Great flavor profile. I found them to be a little hotter than a jalpeno. Wonder if I could get a couple of the seeds to grow? Do you know the name of the plant these grow on? Maybe I could order one from a nursery.

Then I made a cheese burger for supper last night and crushed a couple of the peppers onto the mayo side of the bun. Again, I am most impressed with these peppers.

The Mrs isn't keen on trying the Rotel, so I'll have to come up with a use for them for personal consumption. Maybe some chili or salsa? I'll figure it out :lol:

The jerky should be in your mail box today.

Thanks!
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Postby Stan41 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:49 pm

Dave: Glad you like the peppers. The bird pepper is my favorite of all peppers. They are even better when pulled off the plant green and eaten fresh. You might get seed to grow, I don't know. Wouldn't hurt to try. I got my original start with a plant in a flower pot I bought at a flea market. All the others have come up volunteer from the original one. I am sure they wouldn't winter outdoors where you are. Too cold there. Here they die back to the ground in the fall and put back out in the spring. This past year I could have easily sent you a quart of dried peppers if the mocking birds hadn't eaten almost all of them. The only ones I have in storage are the ones I harvested before the mockingbirds hit. They didn't leave me a single pepper!

There are people even here in Texas that think these peppers are Chilipetines, but they are not. Chilipetines are round peppers where the bird peppers are slightly oval. Also, the bird peppers have a better flavor than petines. Chilipetines do make a good substitute if you don't have any bird peppers.

Chilipetines are also more of a tropical plant than these bird peppers. Chilipetines won't live outdoors here over the winter. I have had them before.

I'll scrounge around on the internet and see what information I can find for you.

Haven't been to the Post Office yet today, so don't know if the jerky is there or not.

Thanks,
Stan41

P. S. If you can't think of anything else to do with the Rotels I suppose you could throw the unopened cans at your noisy neighbors.
S
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

More information

Postby Stan41 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:10 pm

stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Some I grew last year.

Postby Stan41 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:19 pm

Stan
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Postby Stan41 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Dave: Went to the Post Office today and got some very good jerky. Thank you very much. I am eating a piece of it as I post. You did a good job.

Hope the hot tomatoes didn't do any permanant damage to you.

Best,
Stan
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:45 pm

It appears to me it caused a hot BM-W.......... :D
tarde venientibus ossa....
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:01 am

Got one can left. Used can number 1 as a condiment to a pork loin sammy. Heated up the can, then heaped the tomato/chile stuff on top and use the juice as a dunking sauce.

Whilst it was hot, it was very tolerable. Perhaps can number 2 will be hotter.

Glad you enjoyed the jerky.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Postby Stan41 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:16 am

Is the Rotel stuff not available where you are?

It is plentiful here and in several varieties. Let me know if you need more.
Thanks,
Stan
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Used up the last can of the Rotel last night. Put the contents of the can along with one can of black beans and the last of the left over pork loin into a pot and heated it through. Transferred to a bowl and added a touch of cheese. No additional seasonings added.

To be sure the RoTel has a bite, and I even started to get a bead of sweat on the forehead during the second bowl but I have to report that it doesn't rise to the level of say, Dave's Insanity Sauce. Stan, I think the can you had was a freak accident, maybe it got a triple shot of habs? Don't give up on this stuff. 8)
Deputy Dave

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”