Beans and Ham

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Beans and Ham

Postby JamesB » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:40 pm

Ain't it sumpthin when you impress yourself? Well, this was one of those rare times. This pot O'beans n ham turned out to be the absolute best that I've ever tasted! I'll tell ya what I did to the beans, but first there is a bit of lead up...

So, I cooked up a bunch of turkeys for friends, neighbors, co-workers etc. on Turkey day. There were 14 smoked and 10 fried turks. I'm a one man operation here, so I was too busy to even think about pics, which is odd because I normally take pics of everything! Well I'm now tired of turkey!

I also re-smoked one of those Cook's precooked half hams for the family. I normally just season the ham and put it on the grate, but this time I put the ham in a pan, cut side down. I removed all of the skin from it and lightly rubbed it with mustard to help the rub stick and then applied a nice heavy coat of rub. Right before it went on the smoker, I hit it again with more rub and then just smoked as normal until it got up to about 160° internal... After removing ham from the pan there was a lot of accumulated juices. Figured I could do something with it so I drained the accumulated juices into a wide mouth mason jar and put the jar into the fridge.

We like what we refer to as bean soup. This is something that we always make when we have leftover ham. I soaked the pintos in water over night and then drained before putting them into the pot, covered with chicken stock and slowly brought them up to a simmer. Now normally, I would add onions, a pepper or two, some rotel etc... but this time, I just went with the beans, chicken stock and ham. As the beans came to a simmer, I put in the leftover ham bone and let it chuckle along for about an hour or so. Then I removed the meat from the bone and added some more left over ham.

The jar of 'juice' (I know there is a technical term for this, but I can't think of it right now) in the fridge had set up nice with the fat at the top. Removed the fat and added the congealed ham juices to pot. I'd guess there was a about a cup +- of it. It also contained a good bit of the rub that I had used on the ham, so these were the only spices in the pot...

Anyway, they turned out great! I will definitely do this again and again.

Here is a pic right after I added the rest of the ham.

Here I have just added more stock to make it soupy... I used about a quart and a half of stock total. I also added those leftover ham 'juices'

Served up with some left over cornbread stuffing. Good Eats!

Now, I may be sick and tired of turkey, but cant let that stuff go to waste. Here are the beginnings of a turkey stock that will get turned into some kind of soup later on.
rich777 USER_AVATAR
Rich777
Chuck Wagon

Postby Rich777 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:45 pm

Let me be the first in line for a bowl or five of those beans. Looks great!
a stumpted toe hurts
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:05 pm

Looks great. :D Love a good bowl of ham and beans. 8)
Jim
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Postby Stan41 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:05 pm

James: Yes, those beans look delicious. I often do about the same thing except that I never had thought to add chicken stock to the beans. If I don't have any leftover ham sometimes I buy ham hocks at the store just to put in beans.
Strange how I love pinto beans and butter beans. but as far as I am concerned you can throw all those Navy beans, Great Northern beans, small white beans, garbanzos, etc. in the creek.
Stan
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:31 am

That sure does look good! I could eat a few bowls of that today.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:01 am

James, those look outstanding, I have never used chicken stock, but will be giving it a try for sure. Beans being one of my favorite foods. I too
am impressed. CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:04 am

Nice lookin beans!

I grew up eating red beans w/ cornbread, maters, onion, etc... My wife doesnt like beans but she is starting to come around. I just need to learn to be more consistent with the beans.
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

mgwerks USER_AVATAR
mgwerks
Bandolero

Postby mgwerks » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:30 pm

Mapquest tells me I can be in Irving in 5 hours - when's supper?
Visit my Cooking Blog.

The Armada:
22.5" WSM
MES 30" shorty
42"x24" & 36"x16" stick burners
1966 CharBroil charcoal grill
Weber 18 1/2" Silver
Sam's 32-inch Stainless gas grill (it was free!)
jack2u2 USER_AVATAR
JaCK2U2
Chuck Wagon

Postby JaCK2U2 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:33 pm

James, that looks downright edible! What rub did you use on the ham. I have one cooking now, but I injected, and will glaze later on. Your "soup" has sure got me wanting to give that a try! Nice job....
Jack
Jr. C's BBQ
http://www.jrcsbbqandseasonings.com" target="_blank

Homemade upright drum smoker
Backwoods Party
GSW upright (now deceased)
nice gas grill
Weber 27" grill
Weber rotisserie
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:43 pm

JaCK2U2 wrote:What rub did you use on the ham.

This time I used BBQ Rub on the ham. It is a sweet and spicy rub that well with the ham.

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”