Ham and Beans

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

cbucher
Rustler

Postby cbucher » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:04 am

Don't ever get any at my house. I am the only one that will eat them. My grandpa got me started on them when I was little. He grew his too.
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:33 am

Hey, I'm with James and DJ re: brings back memories of me growing up in Hawaii. Our garden had 2 kinds of beans; lima and the long chinese bean (aka yard long beans) and since our weather there was ideal for year round production we never had dried or frozen beans.

Mom would saute small pieces of pork with tomato and onions, add some water and fish sauce then add chunks of eggplant, beans, squash and just before serving would add couple handfuls of chiccharones or pork rind. hmmmmmmmm that was "soul food" or "peasant food" for the Filipinos on the sugar plantation.

Allie, thanks for the bean dissertation. And Jim... trade you that bowl of beans and ham with serving of rotissed pork! :)

hui hou,
honu41
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:14 am

Well we in the same boat I think. I was raised mostly on Pintos but about once or twice a month we had the big white limas which everybody called butter beans. Then I went to work with this fella from GA who tole me "no them aint butter beans." Real butter beans got stripes on em or something like that. Got me real cornfused.

bigwheel

Stan41 wrote:I don't guess I have ever ate any real butter beans. All we have around here are dried Large Lima Beans and Baby Lima Beans. I can't tell any difference in the taste of the two. Most people here call these butter beans. But, I sure like them with a ham hock cooked with them.
Stan
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:24 am

BW, the real big white limas ( most common & usually dried ) and the striped or speckled beans ( sometimes called Christmas beans ) are just different varieties of butterbeans. Both are generally larger in size than regular large limas. :D
I think any of the lima beans cooked up with a ham hock has to be good eatin'. :D :D
Jim
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:16 pm

Well whew...you just took a big load off my mind thinking I had misnomenclatured and faulty phylemed butter beans all these years. I will go back to appreciatng the Old Possum's song..i.e..."Well she aint pregnant like she seems...she just full of them good old butter beans." Now since he an old coonass Texas boy from Conroe...we know he wasn't speaking of any striped Christmas Beans from GA. Or maybe it was Alvin or Jasper. Who knows? Its all the same down in that part of the world till you cross the Sabine. In fact the only thing that divides coonasses from dumbasses is the Sabine. Had a native tell me that one time. Now he did not mention upon which side the respective groups was located. Can anybody answer this question?

bigwheel

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”