tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Sucklebusted Pintos

Postby tex_toby » Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:26 pm

1 LB dry pintos, soaked overnight and drained/rinsed
1/2 LB bacon ends & pieces
1/2 LB smoked spare rib trimmings
1 package of Sucklebusters Pinto Bean Seasoning.
Cover with water

Crockpot on high for the first 4 hours, then on low for another 4 or 5 hours.

Going to have some Mexican cornbread to go with it this evening. The house smells amazing.

7463A8BA-BF4C-452C-8EEF-17AF4E24DFC4.jpeg

A1BF2903-1BDD-4D65-8003-3DD70AE654F0.jpeg
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Sucklebusted Pintos

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:10 pm

AwwwwwwwwwwwSUM - - - I have got to do that and very Soon :tup: I used to soak my Dried Beans overnight but I've been using the "Quick Soak Method" for some time and it really saves time FWIW, it is said that it also removes the "gas" from them. :dont: :whiteflag: :roll: :laughing7:

"I add them to a large pot. Bring the water to a boil for 2 minutes to quickly heat up the water. Turn off the heat, cover, and let the beans soak for 1 hour. Then I change the water and cook them just like I would have, if I had soaked them overnight. " :cheers: :chef: :salut: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:54 am

Beans so many ways to cook them; Those look great!!
I do the overnight soak then rinse and into the instapot with seasoning for 12 minutes for a bowl of beans.
for the smashed beans reduce the water to the point it just does not cover the beans and cook for 16 minutes then drain, smash and fry if you like...
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Postby tex_toby » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:38 am

OldUsedParts wrote:AwwwwwwwwwwwSUM - - - I have got to do that and very Soon :tup: I used to soak my Dried Beans overnight but I've been using the "Quick Soak Method" for some time and it really saves time FWIW, it is said that it also removes the "gas" from them. :dont: :whiteflag: :roll: :laughing7:

"I add them to a large pot. Bring the water to a boil for 2 minutes to quickly heat up the water. Turn off the heat, cover, and let the beans soak for 1 hour. Then I change the water and cook them just like I would have, if I had soaked them overnight. " :cheers: :chef: :salut: :texas:

I've done the quick soak method a few times when in a pinch and it worked great. I always revert back to the overnight soak though just because, well, that's how Grandma did it. :lol:

spacetrucker wrote:Beans so many ways to cook them; Those look great!!
I do the overnight soak then rinse and into the instapot with seasoning for 12 minutes for a bowl of beans.
for the smashed beans reduce the water to the point it just does not cover the beans and cook for 16 minutes then drain, smash and fry if you like...

12 minutes - wow, that is amazing. I've never had my hands on one of those new-fangled toys :D
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:15 pm

I certainly understand doing it like "Grandmaw" :tup: :wav: :rose: :chef: :cheers: :salut: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:56 pm

Full meal deal right there brother! :salut: :salut: :salut:
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:30 am

tex_toby wrote:12 minutes - wow, that is amazing. I've never had my hands on one of those new-fangled toys :D

Kind of on the funny side of how we acquired a insta pot, the pressure cooker the old school aluminum pot the wife had from her mother, probably came over on the mayflower, lost its ability to seal any longer, the brand name was worn off the bottom to the point it was no longer readable, QVC was on and the wife was watching it and the insta pot came into being now for the mexican rice, then beans, and many other items the wife had no idea how to cook in a pressure cooker, Her idea was only to pressure cook the tougher cuts of meat for a few minutes to tenderize them, I came along and started the experimentation process, thus far she has been elated with my discoveries of items that the instapot cooks in mere minutes, I do the mexican rice and start it by stir frying the rice in the bottom of the pot then adding spice, mater sauce and water, it comes out great :D and don't forget to pressure cook cabbage, corned beef with a can of rotel maters and a jalapeno and add a side of cornbread :pig:
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
hotch USER_AVATAR
Hotch
Wrangler

Postby Hotch » Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:13 am

One of my favorites! :mrgreen:
24x42 Shirley with Warmer
GMG Ledge Prime
Large Big Green Egg
MiniMax Big Green Egg
2 Mini Big Green Eggs
Gateway 55gal
R&V Fryer
17" Blackstone Griddle
:texas:
Prosper TX :mrgreen:
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:21 am

Sherry and I ate a lot of beans, rice, and cornbread when we first married; actually great food
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:12 am

I used to cooked for my wife before we married... some things don't change much, now I am retired and cook for her more than ever before, my biggest problem is the price of meat these days. I find myself doing more beans, rice, pizza; I have not cooked a brisket in years...I got a couple of porter house steaks for less than the price of brisket :deadhorse:
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:14 am

OldUsedParts wrote:AwwwwwwwwwwwSUM - - - I have got to do that and very Soon :tup: I used to soak my Dried Beans overnight but I've been using the "Quick Soak Method" for some time and it really saves time FWIW, it is said that it also removes the "gas" from them. :dont: :whiteflag: :roll: :laughing7:

I used to alternate the two methods, depending how lazy I was and whether I remembered to soak overnight. We do have an Instant Pot. The only beans I ever did in them were canned, to add something to the leftover hambone we cooked after Christmas.
Moink!

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”