Toss a Coin Stew

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Toss a Coin Stew

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:36 am

Altho I had seriously planned to give this scrambled up Pork Shoulder several hours Smoke and then Slow Cooker Time, the Weather and Life has changed that to a Cross-my-fingers Pork Stew. I have cut all the pieces/chunks/slabs into bite-size pieces and they are now soaking in half a bottle of Tony's Butter Injection Marinade :dont: :dont: :dont: It might be Friday before I get this in a Crock Pot but so be it. Picked up some cute taters, stalk of celery, large sweet own-yawn and can of whole kernel corn to add and I may add Rotels and Soup before it's over. More Later :salut:
PorkStew.jpg

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Toss a Coin Stew

Postby Rambo » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:23 am

If you're going to do the Rotel you can also add some tomato Sauce/Paste if you're going the tomato route. If not how about chicken Broth?
Also, the wife did this one time and there was a LOT of grease in the Crock Pot to keep skimmed.

Good luck
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:34 am

Thanks, Sir, I'm not a fan of mater sauce/paste but the chicken broth sounds good to me. ? maybe I should leave the Rotels completely out ? :dont:

Not familiar with Pig Stew so would you also add come kind of cream soup ?celery maybe?
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:03 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Thanks, Sir, I'm not a fan of mater sauce/paste but the chicken broth sounds good to me. ? maybe I should leave the Rotels completely out ? :dont:

Not familiar with Pig Stew so would you also add come kind of cream soup ?celery maybe?

Yes Sir: there was a friend of mine that used to do a pork roist at the Deer lease. he'd put it in one of those big aluminum pans and cook it in an old gas oven. I remember specifically him putting Cream of Celery soup and chopping some celery. If you'd like, I can email him and ask what all he put in it. it was always great, especially with the weather we're having in Angelina and Montgomery.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:05 am

I would love to have His recipe, if it's not too much trouble, anything Larapin from the Deer Camp is always welcome here :tup: :salut: :cheers:
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:14 am

OK, he replied; pretty simple. He did not have potatoes in his; rather, ( I remember now) he serves it over white rice.
His mixture is simple; 2 cans cream of celery soup and one soup can of water. Blend that together in your crock pot if that what you're using and chop up your stalk of celery, can of drained WK Corn, and onion. Let that get hot before adding your pork. He said he just put salt, Pepper, and Garlic on the meat so if you have some Sucklebusters SPG that should be perfect. Serve over rice. Now, most of the time back then I had many Budweiser's prior to eating but it was always delicious.

Let us know how it turns out.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:18 am

And I'll bet a bag of those HEB frozen English Peas would be good added about an hour before cook time was complete
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:34 am

Rambo wrote:OK, he replied; pretty simple. He did not have potatoes in his; rather, ( I remember now) he serves it over white rice.
His mixture is simple; 2 cans cream of celery soup and one soup can of water. Blend that together in your crock pot if that what you're using and chop up your stalk of celery, can of drained WK Corn, and onion. Let that get hot before adding your pork. He said he just put salt, Pepper, and Garlic on the meat so if you have some Sucklebusters SPG that should be perfect. Serve over rice. Now, most of the time back then I had many Budweiser's prior to eating but it was always delicious.

Thanks, and please thank your Friend also :salut: - - - - - Wiffy prefers taters and neither of us "ever" eat English Peas Sooooooooo I'll get as close as I can :tup: :salut:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:08 pm

Well, today was the day to put this Toss A Coin Stew/Soup together.
Since it had been soaking in Tony's Butter Injection for two days, I decided to lightly braise the Pork.
IMG_0011.JPG

Then I put everything in the Crock Pot and set it on Low. This was ?supposed? to be a 10 hr process but at the end of 4 hrs it was done.
IMG_0013.JPG

The meat was melt in your mouth tender and any more cooking would have turned the taters into mush so I put it on the Warm Setting for 2 hrs and we ate it at 11am instead of the 2pm we had planned. :dont:
IMG_0015.JPG

Here's a piece of the Pork that I lightly pressed with a fork. I'm talking tender tender tender Y'all. :cheers:
IMG_0016.JPG
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:07 pm

dont forget to chase that with a nice wedge of oven fresh cast iron skillet baked hot buttered corn bread... :lol:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:23 pm

How well I know, S.T. but time did not permit today, however, I am really wanting to do some Indian Fry Bread when we bring the leftovers back out in a day or so. :salut: :dont:
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:36 pm

Now there's a meal for a cold day!
(Insert witty signature here)

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”