Dinner rolls!

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Dinner rolls!

Postby Txdragon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:35 pm

Been chasing perfection to some dinner rolls and This was my latest revision. Intended use if for some pork loin sliders from my leftover pork loin surprise. Pics will follow soon enough on the rolls. I have them on their final rest so when I pull them from proofing, I'll snap some shots.
To be continued!
(Insert witty signature here)
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: Dinner rolls!

Postby Txdragon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:53 pm

And here they are, pre bake.
20180208_131734.jpg

And done! Brushed them with some melted butter right before and after the oven. They smell soooo good! I love the smell of fresh bread! Give them a bit of a rest and we'll see how they turned out.

20180208_134354.jpg
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:07 pm

I can smell them over here, love that smell. :cheers: :cheers:
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:07 pm

And here are the sliders I made from the leftover loin and the rolls.
Sliced the loin thin on the ol' slicer then added some mustard, pepper jack, onion, and pickles. I like this version of the rolls. This is a PERFECT use for them. Not as soft as I'd want from a dinner roll, but these are perfect for sandwich/burger application. Excellent buttery flavor with some body. They'd be perfect for soup or stew.

20180208_165159.jpg
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:34 pm

Great looking sliders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:43 pm

Great looking buns, I got the wife to buy some yeast 2 weeks ago and my first attempt was a failure. I'm gunna try this again. Can't beat the smell of bread baking.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:43 pm

Thanks folks!

Russ wrote:Great looking buns, I got the wife to buy some yeast 2 weeks ago and my first attempt was a failure. I'm gunna try this again. Can't beat the smell of bread baking.

Russ

Don't give up! How did it fail? What happened. Gimme some detail and I may be able to help out.
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:54 pm

SCORE !!!
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:31 am

Txdragon wrote:And here are the sliders I made from the leftover loin and the rolls.
Sliced the loin thin on the ol' slicer then added some mustard, pepper jack, onion, and pickles. I like this version of the rolls. This is a PERFECT use for them. Not as soft as I'd want from a dinner roll, but these are perfect for sandwich/burger application. Excellent buttery flavor with some body. They'd be perfect for soup or stew.

20180208_165159.jpg

Two, please! YESSSSS. :salut: :cheers: :chef:
Moink!
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:41 am

If these are anything like your biscuit recipe you were gracious enough to share with us then you know what I'm begging for. Very nice indeed Sir. :cheers: :cheers: :chef: :chef:
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:33 am

Great looking rolls!
:chef:
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:49 pm

Txdragon wrote:Thanks folks!

Russ wrote:Great looking buns, I got the wife to buy some yeast 2 weeks ago and my first attempt was a failure. I'm gunna try this again. Can't beat the smell of bread baking.

Russ

Don't give up! How did it fail? What happened. Gimme some detail and I may be able to help out.

First time water was too cold, it never bubbled, second time it activated but when mixed with the flour it never rose. Bake it anyway about 2 hrs later, but thick and not soft and light, I won't give up yet.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:00 pm

I want one of those slider's. :cheers: :cheers:
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:09 pm

Russ wrote:
Txdragon wrote:Thanks folks!

Russ

First time water was too cold, it never bubbled, second time it activated but when mixed with the flour it never rose. Bake it anyway about 2 hrs later, but thick and not soft and light, I won't give up yet.

Russ

This is a cool rise, no-fail loaf that I've made time and again. I've even done it with cold water. You could make it into rolls, too:

Print Recipe

The Master Recipe: Boule (Artisan Free-Form Loaf)

Yield: Makes four 1-pound loaves. The recipe is easily doubled or halved.

Ingredients:

3 cups lukewarm water
1 1/2 Tablespoons granulated yeast (1 1/2 packets)
1 1/2 Tablespoons kosher or other coarse salt
6 1/2 cups unsifted, unbleached, all-purpose white flour, measured with the scoop-and-sweep method
cornmeal

Directions:

Mixing and Storing the Dough
1. Warm the water slightly: It should feel just a little warmer than body temperature, about 100 degrees F.
2. Add yeast and salt to the water in a 5-quart bowl or, preferably, in a resealable, lidded (not airtight) plastic food container. Don't worry about getting it all to dissolve.
3. Mix in the flour- kneading is unnecessary: Add all of the flour at once, measuring it in with dry-ingredient measuring cups, by gently scooping up flour, then sweeping the top level with a knife or spatula. Mix with a wooden spoon, a high capacity food processor (14 cups or larger) fitted with the dough attachment, or a heavy-duty stand mixer fitted with the dough hook until the mixture is uniform. If you're hand mixing and it becomes too difficult to incorporate all the flour with the spoon, you can reach into your mixing bowl with very wet hands and press the mixture together. Don't knead- it isn't necessary. You're finished when everything is uniformly moist, without dry patches. This step should only take a matter of minutes, and should yield a dough that is wet and loose enough to conform to the shape of its container.
4. Allow to rise: Cover with a lid (not airtight). Don't use any screw-top jars, which could explode from trapped gases. Allow the mixture to rise at room temperature until it begins to collapse (or at least flattens on top), approximately 2 hours, depending on the room's temperature and the initial water temperature. Longer rising times (up to 5 hours) will not harm the result. You can use a portion of the dough any time after this period. Fully refrigerated wet dough is less sticky and is easier to work with than dough at room temperature. The authors recommend that the first time you try this recipe, you refrigerate the dough overnight (or at least 3 hours) before shaping a loaf.

On Baking Day
5. The gluten cloak: don't knead, just "cloak" and shape a loaf in 30 to 60 seconds. First prepare a pizza peel (or a cookie sheet or cutting board) by sprinkling it liberally with cornmeal to prevent the dough from sticking to it when you slide it into the oven. Sprinkle the surface of your refrigerated dough with flour. Pull up and cut off a 1-pound (grapefruit-sized) piece of dough, using a serrated knife. Hold the mass of dough in your hands and add a little more flour as needed so it won't stick to your hands. Gently stretch the surface of the dough around to the bottom on all four sides, rotating the ball a quarter-turn as you go. Most of the dusting flour will fall off; it's not intended to be incorporated into the dough. The bottom of the loaf may appear to be a collection of bunched ends, but it will flatten out and adhere during resting and baking. The final product with be smooth and cohesive. The entire process in this step should take no longer than 30 to 60 seconds.
6. Rest the loaf and let it rise on a pizza peel: Place shaped ball on cornmeal-covered pizza peel. Allow the loaf to rest on the peel for about 40 minutes (it doesn't need to be covered). You may not see much rise during this period; more rise will occur during baking.
7. Twenty minutes before baking, preheat the oven to 450 degrees F., with a baking stone placed on the middle rack. Place an empty broiler tray for holding water on any other shelf that won't interfere with the rising of the bread.
8. Dust and slash: Dust the top of the loaf liberally with the flour, which will allow the slashing knife to pass without sticking. Slash a 1/4-inch-deep cross, scallop, or tic-tac-toe pattern into the top, using a serrated bread knife.
9. Baking with steam: After a 20 minute preheat, you're ready to bake. With a quick forward jerking motion of the wrist, slide the loaf off of your cornmeal covered surface and onto the preheated baking stone. Quickly but carefully pour about 1 cup of hot water from the tap into the broiler tray and close the oven door to trap the steam. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the crust is nicely browned and firm to the touch. Because you've used wet dough, there is little risk of drying out the interior, despite the dark crust. Allow the loaf to cool completely, preferably on a wire rack.
10. Store the remaining dough in the refrigerator in your lidded (not airtight) container and use it over the next 14 days. The dough "matures" over the 14 day period, improving flavor and texture of your bread. Cut off, shape and bake more loaves as you need them.

Tips:

*I halved the recipe and ended up baking up two loaves within the week.
*I didn't have a pizza peel, so I used a cutting board coated with cornmeal to let the bread rise. The first loaf I made, I didn't use enough cornmeal and my dough stuck a bit to the board. I had to knudge it onto the pizza stone and it looked a little mishapen and wobbly. When it came out of the oven though, it was a perfectly baked round loaf. On my second try, I made sure to coat my board liberally with cornmeal and had no trouble at all sliding it onto my pizza stone.
*Since you can cut off as big a piece of dough as you want to bake, the method is perfect for large and small families alike.
*I'm excited to try out other recipes in the book using the base dough- from other rustic loaves and rolls to sweet treats.

Source: Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day
Moink!
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:23 pm

I will try this and halve it as I did in my first attempt. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”