long time no do was "Due"

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

long time no do was "Due"

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:54 pm

I has been a very long time since I used a wet batter for frying, mainly Beer Batter. So I fixed that today with some Tilapia and Shrimp that needed cooking or chunking. Lawdy Lawdy I had forgotten how crispy (aka crunchy) the fried batter was. Wiffy loved it and except for sticking real bad to the pan when frying, it was a good choice.

IMG_0046.JPG

IMG_0048.JPG

IMG_0049.JPG

IMG_0050.JPG

1 cup flour or seafood breading (I used some that Wild Bill had sent me last year)
1 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of salt
1 cup Beer

:chef: whisk dry ingredients together and then slowly add beer - - - - mix thoroughly and dip fish/etc into the batter, shake off excess and fry in hot oil/grease
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Re: long time no do was "Due"

Postby outlaw » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:59 pm

Come on with the shrimp. :happ: :happ: :happ:
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:02 pm

Actually, Pal, as far as the wiffy and I were concerned today, the fish was better in that batter :scratch: I really prefer my shrimp grilled or blackened and not "battered" - - but that's just MOI :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:07 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Actually, Pal, as far as the wiffy and I were concerned today, the fish was better in that batter :scratch: I really prefer my shrimp grilled or blackened and not "battered" - - but that's just MOI :dont:

I said that because I'm not a tilapia fan, but you can serve me shrimp just about any way. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:37 pm

this was snow white, mild and juicy with that awesome crunchy outside :cheers:
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:20 pm

Fish fry at OUP’s House!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:28 pm

Woohoo! :cheers:
Moink!
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:06 pm

I like how you Fry my friend. :D
Looks perfecto. :salut: :chef:

:cheers:
Bill
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:48 pm

What beer do you use emm, I use an Indian lager. Nice crispy batter, can't beat it. We have a fish here called blue cod, it's the best of all fish. I get mine from Stewart island, the further south the colder the water and the better the flavour. Yours looks so good!

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:34 pm

thanks, Y'all, and Pardnah I don't think it matters about the Brew so I used what happens to be in the icebox and in MY case it's the cheapest that HEB had at the time - - - believe it or not it was on sale for $10.99 a 30 pack (hangs head in shame) and I bought all they had in stock which was 3 cases :dont:
IMG_0051.JPG
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:56 pm

Darn you "OUP", I've been out of pocket all day and if I had seen this earlier today, guess what I would have been having this evening. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:04 pm

OUP.. You're bringing on another craving for me. These look wonderful
(Insert witty signature here)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:16 pm

thanks, I do know that I HAVE to figger out how to fry with beer batter and not have it stick to the pan so badly - - - I've always been too cheap to use a deep fryer but I may have to look for a mini-deep fryer - - - with just us two and I do most of the consumption, I don't want to waste oil to fry just a little meal :scratch: :dont:
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:48 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:thanks, I do know that I HAVE to figger out how to fry with beer batter and not have it stick to the pan so badly - - - I've always been too cheap to use a deep fryer but I may have to look for a mini-deep fryer - - - with just us two and I do most of the consumption, I don't want to waste oil to fry just a little meal :scratch: :dont:

Well sir, fish likes to swim. Unfortunately, when we're frying it, it's already dead. So we MUST assist it! When you put it in the pan, move it around for about 15-20 seconds. This will allow time for the oil to start setting the batter. I tend to use a bamboo skewer to add the fish to the pan when I pan fry. Works like a charm, sir!
(Insert witty signature here)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:25 pm

:tup: I was frying in a sauce pan and the swimming room was nil so that was probably my "duh" for the day - - - however, I do like the skewer idea and just might try that - - - think I'll also fry in a skillet next time :salut:

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”