Venison shanks!

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Venison shanks!

Postby Txdragon » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:02 am

Kinda down in the dumps over the medical find yesterday. So what better thing to help me de-stress? Yup.. Cook! Prepping some venison shanks from the one lonely deer I bagged this year.

Got them seasoned with salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme, and garlic powder.
20180207_073140.jpg

Time for some color. Just seared on MOST sides.. Don't wanna sear the "shin" side on a shank; that damages the connective tissue securing the muscle to the bone. This could cause it to not wanna stick properly and kill your presentation..
20180207_073931.jpg

Everybody in the pool!! Got them in the pan with some chicken stock seasoned with a bit more thyme and rosemary, added some minced garlic, lemon zest and juice, and a splash of apple cider vinegar.
20180207_080528.jpg

Then covered and tossed into a 300 deg oven. Should start smelling like a million bucks (see what I did there?!) In an hour or so.

To be continued!
(Insert witty signature here)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Venison shanks!

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:55 am

Interesting, for some reason we always just boned the meat from the shanks and used it in burger or sausage - - - looking forward to this update also :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:29 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Interesting, for some reason we always just boned the meat from the shanks and used it in burger or sausage - - - looking forward to this update also :tup: :salut:

If you've never had pork or veal shank, try it. You'll not be disappointed! As for venison, it's similar to lamb. I wouldn't waste such decadence in a grinder. Partially because unless you have a super grindomatic 10,000; you're gonna have problems. All that connective tissue that plays havoc on your grinder does MAGICAL things when cooked. Super awesome broth of calogen richness that can't be beat!
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:42 am

Almost done now. Just flipped then over to get some broth time on the other side while I make the couscous that's going with it. When that's done, I'll pour the sauce into a pan and reduce it by about half.

20180207_093515.jpg
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:08 am

Tadaaa!! Sooooo Good! A bit early for lunch. I haven't had breakfast yet, so I'll say it's brunch. Lol. The wife loves it!

20180207_100058.jpg
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:21 am

Interesting: I've cleaned many a deer but have never made that cut; sad to say I've always just chunked that after de-boning the hams. I'll give it a try, thanks
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:47 am

Txdragon wrote:Almost done now. Just flipped then over to get some broth time on the other side while I make the couscous that's going with it. When that's done, I'll pour the sauce into a pan and reduce it by about half.

20180207_093515.jpg

Wait, WHAT? :laughing7:

Looks gooooood! Actually makes me think about shooting Bambi's mom...
Moink!
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:49 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Interesting, for some reason we always just boned the meat from the shanks and used it in burger or sausage - - - looking forward to this update also :tup: :salut:

Rambo wrote:Interesting: I've cleaned many a deer but have never made that cut; sad to say I've always just chunked that after de-boning the hams. I'll give it a try, thanks

Thanks! For the love of all things holy; these little gems should never be wasted!!
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:51 am

Sailor Kenshin wrote:
Txdragon wrote:Almost done now. Just flipped then over to get some broth time on the other side while I make the couscous that's going with it. When that's done, I'll pour the sauce into a pan and reduce it by about half.

20180207_093515.jpg

Haha! Thanks. Yeah, we had some from a couple grocery trips back and wanted to give it a shot. It is very similar to rice. I see tons of potential. Once it was done, I mixed in a spoonful of the braising broth left over and wow!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:00 pm

thanks for the shank tip however as far as shank meat in Venison burger and sausage goes "you obviously never tasted the stuff from my freezer :D :cheers:

OH, I never had to worry about the membranes in my grinder BECAUSE I had a Cajun Pal that ground, stuffed and smoked all of mine - - except for the jalapeno cheese summer sausage and that was done by a Slovack Pal :laughing7: :D :lol: :chef: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:31 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:thanks for the shank tip however as far as shank meat in Venison burger and sausage goes "you obviously never tasted the stuff from my freezer :D :cheers:

OH, I never had to worry about the membranes in my grinder BECAUSE I had a Cajun Pal that ground, stuffed and smoked all of mine - - except for the jalapeno cheese summer sausage and that was done by a Slovack Pal :laughing7: :D :lol: :chef: :salut:

It's always better if ya got a fall guy!! :laughing7: I've used them before as grinder fodder. It adds some good richness to burgers and sausage. I also am particularly fond of exclusively using the "money muscle" from pork butt for sausage. Mix that with brisket point at about a 50/50 Mix and you'll have some burgers that could start fights!
Shanks are great just as they are and with the proper method, they can shine like the sun!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:45 pm

:tup: :salut:

could you do those shanks on the Pit ? if so, then what style would you recommend ? :dont:
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:36 pm

OldUsedParts wrote::tup: :salut:

could you do those shanks on the Pit ? if so, then what style would you recommend ? :dont:

You can, absolutely. Give em some smoke, about 20 min or so, then wrap in foil with some garlic and onion and some of your favorite liquid. They really LOVE moist heat. I won't cook them without it.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:50 pm

thanks, I imagine that would also apply to lamb shanks/ETC ?
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:07 pm

Txdragon wrote:
Sailor Kenshin wrote:

20180207_093515.jpg

Haha! Thanks. Yeah, we had some from a couple grocery trips back and wanted to give it a shot. It is very similar to rice. I see tons of potential. Once it was done, I mixed in a spoonful of the braising broth left over and wow!

So I'm not the only one! :banana:
Moink!

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”