Tongue tied!!

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Tongue tied!!

Postby Txdragon » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:21 pm

Throwing down another first for me to cook, decided I'd try my luck with beef tongue. I treated it the same way I do beef cheek; salt, pepper, garlic, onion, cumin.. Wrapped in foil with a little water and in the oven at 325 for about 5 hours. Turned out very good! The kids love it and they've never had it. My son says, "ummm, dad.. Is that a tongue?!" I asked of it smells good and he said it smelled great. I asked if he'd try it and he said he would, so I told him the truth. He reluctantly tried a small bit, then asked for more! He says, "This doesn't taste like tongue, it tastes like roast beef!" I giggled to myself and agreed wholeheartedly. My daughter is strange, like me, and she's down for the weird stuff so she was ready and willing for a nibble. She too loved it.

Before cooking..
20180115_153534.jpg

After cook and "peeled"..
20180115_195046.jpg

Dressed for dinner! Onion, cheddar (not applied yet), cilantro, and a twist of lime..

20180115_195811.jpg
(Insert witty signature here)
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Re: Tongue tied!!

Postby egghead » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:46 pm

Looks may bueno TxD
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:30 am

It's been a long time since I've had any tongue, look's great. :cheers: :cheers:
fat USER_AVATAR
FAT
Wrangler

Postby FAT » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:40 am

Viva tacos de lengua!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:07 am

"Speechless" (pun intended) - - - ya might say "Cow's got my tongue" - - :tup: :salut: :cheers:

Y'all getting sleet and snow :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:24 am

I’ve had lengua tacos at taco stand and wasn’t that crazy about it. Mostly the texture. Wonder if it was the way they cooked it because yours looks much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:12 am

OldUsedParts wrote:"Speechless" (pun intended) - - - ya might say "Cow's got my tongue" - - :tup: :salut: :cheers:

Y'all getting sleet and snow :?:

Lol! Yessir, we got that winter junk.
20180116_072238.jpg

bsooner75 wrote:I’ve had lengua tacos at taco stand and wasn’t that crazy about it. Mostly the texture. Wonder if it was the way they cooked it because yours looks much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did this in the oven. More traditionally, it is boiled. I prefer it roasted rather than boiled due to the difference in texture as well. ;)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:44 am

the ONLY meat that should be allowed to go into a boiling pot is Chicken when making Dumplins, Weeners when making Dawgs (but Ripped afterwards) and certain shellie things from the Saltwater. :dont: :laughing7: :lol:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:35 am

OldUsedParts wrote:the ONLY meat that should be allowed to go into a boiling pot is Chicken when making Dumplins, Weeners when making Dawgs (but Ripped afterwards) and certain shellie things from the Saltwater. :dont: :laughing7: :lol:

I think Russ may try to add ribs to that list, but we all know they don't belong either. Lol!

I'll add a pic of the updated tacos in a bit. I diced the tongue, then put it in a pan with some garlic and onion then seasoned with my usual.. Salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder, cumin, and a little ancho chili powder. Tossed that around in a hot pan for a bit then covered on loooowwww for about 30 min.
Served on fresh made flour tortillas with cheddar, chopped onyawn, cilantro, and a twist of lime.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:52 am

Tacos de lengua done proper!
20180116_094936.jpg
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:40 pm

Good looking tacos. I'm kinda like you and your daughter, never met an Offal I didn't try and/or like.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:17 pm

I love lambs tongue sammys, when you can get them. Arab countries take most of our offal now.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:04 am

Russ wrote:I love lambs tongue sammys, when you can get them. Arab countries take most of our offal now.

Russ

I haven't seen any lamb tongue around my parts, but I would DEFINITELY love to give it a shot. I've never tried it. I'd imagine it's not too much different than the beef version. Lol!

GTR wrote:Good looking tacos. I'm kinda like you and your daughter, never met an Offal I didn't try and/or like.

Thanks! I think I may draw the line at eyes though. Not sure I could do that. Lol!
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:33 pm

Txdragon wrote:
Russ wrote:I love lambs tongue sammys, when you can get them. Arab countries take most of our offal now.

Russ

I haven't seen any lamb tongue around my parts, but I would DEFINITELY love to give it a shot. I've never tried it. I'd imagine it's not too much different than the beef version. Lol!

GTR wrote:Good looking tacos. I'm kinda like you and your daughter, never met an Offal I didn't try and/or like.

Thanks! I think I may draw the line at eyes though. Not sure I could do that. Lol!

I've tried eyes at a Greek restaurant in Melbourne years ago, I've also had hoo hoo grubs, taste like peanut butter. I'll give most stuff a go,lol.
Grub pic to follow.

https://teara.govt.nz/en/photograph/14355/huhu-grub

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:49 pm

Bugs are on my oh heck no list...

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”