Fish in the air?

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Fish in the air?

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:41 pm

We've been sick since Christmas Day. Ups and downs, not much going on by way of cooking, unless you count looking at YOUR posts!

The fault was mine. I bought a package of frozen salmon from Aldi and I should have known better. Usually, we have fresh salmon, and ONLY on the grill outdoors.

We dragged the frozen stuff out today and prepped each piece with mustard plus a different seasoning: SB TX Pecan, mixed BBQ shake, Emeril, and lemon pepper.

Meh, would be the word. PB wants to finish it off on a toasted bagel with cream cheese. I'm just glad we baked potatoes. And I am not at all ashamed to admit these are canned green beans.

Maybe we needed That Green Sauce. :laughing7:
Moink!
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Re: Fish in the air?

Postby Williep » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:59 pm

I'll say one thing, that sure is a pretty looking plate of food. :salut: I'm not a salmon person so I really can't comment. :dont:
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:00 pm

Looks like a good plate to me. Sorry to hear you guys have been sick but I’m glad you’re on the mend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:29 pm

"Tis the Season to be Sneezin" :dont: Get Well Y'all :salut:
I'm like WillieP and except for Patties from the can, I don't do Salmon or order it when eating out.
It always seemed so "dry" to me so I gave up HOWEVER, after looking at some of Wild Bill's and ?Capt'ns? dishes I may just have to try some on a plank when Spring gets there - if it gets here :scratch: :roll: Only thing I see wrong with the beans is they are French Style :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:36 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:"Tis the Season to be Sneezin" :dont: Get Well Y'all :salut:
I'm like WillieP and except for Patties from the can, I don't do Salmon or order it when eating out.
It always seemed so "dry" to me so I gave up HOWEVER, after looking at some of Wild Bill's and ?Capt'ns? dishes I may just have to try some on a plank when Spring gets there - if it gets here :scratch: :roll: Only thing I see wrong with the beans is they are French Style :dont:

With a pull tab. :laughing7:
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:38 pm

Aaaaaugh.jpg
Aaaaaugh.jpg (10.47 KiB) Viewed 1814 times
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:53 pm

Fresh salmon on the grill is always much better. And as an extra added bonus, it doesn't smell up the house. ;)

Still, I'll probably finish up the rest of this fish soon.
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Looks good neighbors !!
Yeah,vive gone frozen too with Salmon if I couldn't get fresh.
Sometimes they are really good, I think how it's packaged has alot to do with the taste tho.
Ever do a Bourbon Glaze on them ?
It's excellent.

Hope you feel better, lots of crud circulating around both sides of the Hudson River unfortunately ...
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:55 pm

Thanks, WV. We've been sicker, but not for this long. It's almost a month!

Never tried bourbon glaze on salmon. The usual was a touch of mustard, brown sugar, and something from McCormick called Smokehouse Maple.
Moink!
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: Fish in the air?

Postby woodenvisions » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:37 pm

Sailor Kenshin wrote:Thanks, WV. We've been sicker, but not for this long. It's almost a month!

Never tried bourbon glaze on salmon. The usual was a touch of mustard, brown sugar, and something from McCormick called Smokehouse Maple.
Feel better, the last time I got the crud like that it was just shy of 2 months.
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:41 pm

Hey Sailor....sorry to here the Salmon wasn't up to snuff. What IT are you cooking it to. :?:
I bake and pan fry Salmon in the house often. Truly fresh Salmon will never stink up the kitchen. I feel sorry for y'all that can't get your hands on really fresh Salmon and I ain't talking about that net pen raised, pellet fead Atlantic Salmon. That stuff is garbage.

Em...if it's dry it's over cooked or the fish wasn't handled properly during the time it was netted, processed and frozen. I'm thinking most restaurants cook Salmon to a IT of at least 160 just to cover their butts. At 160 the Salmon is ruined IMO.

A couple years ago my wife and I went to a popular seafood restraurant called Anthonys. It was in January. I noticed on the menu they had Fresh wild Salmon. I asked the waitress where do they get fresh Salmon in January knowing that all the commercial fishing is done in the Summer and early fall. The waitress replied that actually the Salmon was Fresh Frozen. WTH !!!! Frozen is frozen...it ain't fresh. :whiteflag:
I'm lucky. I've never had restaurant Salmon or needed to buy any from my grocer. The Salmon I catch what we can't eat fresh I carefully vac pack and freeze the rest. What we don't cook in a few months of the frozen fish the rest gets smoked. I clean out the freezer of frozen fish once a year and smoke it.

Now this is my idea of fresh Salmon. This 4lb fillet is off a winter Chinook that ate its last meal 2 days ago....last meal as in the herring on the end of my line :laughing7:

image.jpeg
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:12 pm

A great cook can make a good meal, even from pre-packaged stuff, and THIS looks like a great meal! Suggest some capers for that salmon with cream cheese on the bagel to the prof!
(Insert witty signature here)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:40 pm

Wild Bill, ?maybe? just maybe? this Spring I'll get your iddies on what and how to know and buy good Salmon, which I'm not sure is attainable here in my Turf. :dont: Then, I'll get your Grilling techs and who knows I may crank one out that I consider eatable :dont: What makes the "Plank" so sought after :?: :dont:
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:42 am

bondobill wrote:Hey Sailor....sorry to here the Salmon wasn't up to snuff. What IT are you cooking it to. :?:
I bake and pan fry Salmon in the house often. Truly fresh Salmon will never stink up the kitchen. I feel sorry for y'all that can't get your hands on really fresh Salmon and I ain't talking about that net pen raised, pellet fead Atlantic Salmon. That stuff is garbage.

Em...if it's dry it's over cooked or the fish wasn't handled properly during the time it was netted, processed and frozen. I'm thinking most restaurants cook Salmon to a IT of at least 160 just to cover their butts. At 160 the Salmon is ruined IMO.

A couple years ago my wife and I went to a popular seafood restraurant called Anthonys. It was in January. I noticed on the menu they had Fresh wild Salmon. I asked the waitress where do they get fresh Salmon in January knowing that all the commercial fishing is done in the Summer and early fall. The waitress replied that actually the Salmon was Fresh Frozen. WTH !!!! Frozen is frozen...it ain't fresh. :whiteflag:
I'm lucky. I've never had restaurant Salmon or needed to buy any from my grocer. The Salmon I catch what we can't eat fresh I carefully vac pack and freeze the rest. What we don't cook in a few months of the frozen fish the rest gets smoked. I clean out the freezer of frozen fish once a year and smoke it.

Now this is my idea of fresh Salmon. This 4lb fillet is off a winter Chinook that ate its last meal 2 days ago....last meal as in the herring on the end of my line :laughing7:

image.jpeg

Are you TRYING to make me jealous? :laughing7:

Luckyyyy indeed! :tup:
Moink!

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”