Greens Grease n Goodies Galore

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Greens Grease n Goodies Galore

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:09 pm

Welp, it's time to Fry or Deny so all I need now is to decide on what Pot/Skillet and what dry seasonings I'm gonna use. I'm seriously considering just salt and pepper and let the "stuff" take care of the rest.

I have a contractor Friend coming to do some handyman things so after I get him/them out of MY kitchen then I'll "Git'er Done". More later ?I hope? :dont: :chef:

IMG_0058.JPG

IMG_0059.JPG

IMG_0060.JPG

IMG_0061.JPG

IMG_0062.JPG

IMG_0064.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

IMG_0066.JPG

IMG_0067.JPG

IMG_0068.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Re: Greens Grease n Goodies Galore

Postby Williep » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:49 pm

x.png
x.png (5.62 KiB) Viewed 1464 times
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:51 pm

Why do you even bother folks with suggestions :scratch: :scratch: You have the game plan already figured out RIGHT THERE. :banghead: :banghead: I don't even like collards (the ones I've had so far) and I would love to try a plate of yours. If I lived closer I would be like:
Attachments
kilroy.jpg
kilroy.jpg (5.23 KiB) Viewed 1464 times
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:19 pm

OK, Kilroy, the only thing you missed was the awesome taste so now for the negatories of this cook.
I'm gonna do the update report bazzakerds so you don't get bored with the snappie shots.

As I mentioned the taste of the fried collards were awesome, altho I probably used a little too much basil/sundried mater oil. However, no matter how long I cooked them they were very tuff and hard to chew but I chewed them anyways. :tup: Also shoulda put salt in my Corn Dodger mix along with the Williams Cajun Seasoning that I used. :dont:

First pic is the finished Plated, second is the Collards after dumping back in the skillet and cooking until it scared me (they were still pretty chewy) :banghead: . The last pic of this first bunch is the condition of the skillet which tells me I stopped just in time.
"Would Someone Please Play DIXIE?"
IMG_0081.JPG

Second time didn't work either.
IMG_0082.JPG

She's soaking and everything looks OK.
IMG_0083.JPG

The following Pics are in Croanie-Logged-Tickle Order :tup:
IMG_0069.JPG

IMG_0070.JPG

IMG_0071.JPG

IMG_0072.JPG

IMG_0074.JPG

IMG_0075.JPG

IMG_0077.JPG

IMG_0078.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:38 pm

All I see is GOOOOOD! :cheers: :chef: :salut:
Moink!
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:47 pm

Sailor Kenshin wrote:All I see is GOOOOOD! :cheers: :chef: :salut:

X2 :cheers: :cheers: You da man. :salut: :salut:

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:57 pm

thanks Y'all - - - I think I did ALL that I could do correctly and I wouldn't hesitate to do Chard or maybe even Mustard or Turnip Greens this way but the Collards have a mind of their own, even when you boil them in a Pot. :whiteflag: Of course me finding Chard is like Sailor and PB finding Collards. :dont:
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:59 pm

Hummm. Most recipes I've found for collards tend to be more boiled rather than fried and for quite a bit longer than you did. Also, they recommended cutting the center stalks out for all but the most tender inner leaves. Could that be the toughness?
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:15 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:thanks Y'all - - - I think I did ALL that I could do correctly and I wouldn't hesitate to do Chard or maybe even Mustard or Turnip Greens this way but the Collards have a mind of their own, even when you boil them in a Pot. :whiteflag: Of course me finding Chard is like Sailor and PB finding Collards. :dont:

We can find 'em...if you like them all yellowy and icky. :laughing7:
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:39 pm

outlaw wrote:Hummm. Most recipes I've found for collards tend to be more boiled rather than fried and for quite a bit longer than you did. Also, they recommended cutting the center stalks out for all but the most tender inner leaves. Could that be the toughness?

All center stalks were removed from every leaf - - - maybe it was possible to fry longer but the smell and looks had me thinking it was "enuff". :dont: I do know that even when you boil Greens, the Collards take longer to get tender - - - the crunchiness of boiled Collards is what I like but these were beyond crunchy. :whiteflag:
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:23 pm

Sorry it didn't turn out like ya wanted. If you ask me, if say it's not a failure, but a first discovery of how not to fry collards! Cant wait to see the next attempt!! These look wonderful.
(Insert witty signature here)
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:42 pm

I've never had a bad cook with my green beets, stalks definitely cut out but not real precise.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:58 pm

Txdragon wrote:Sorry it didn't turn out like ya wanted. If you ask me, if say it's not a failure, but a first discovery of how not to fry collards! Cant wait to see the next attempt!! These look wonderful.

If I ever write a cook book the title will be "How Not To" :laughing7: :D :lol:

BTW, I liked your comment on FB about sautee and simmer - - - hind sight is 20/20 but I did think once about adding some liquid and simmer/steam/boil/or whatever until tender :dont:
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:31 pm

Outlaw,

U look like Wilson from Tool Time !

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”