Southern fried chicken. Help please.

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Southern fried chicken. Help please.

Postby Russ » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:28 pm

We were recently on our hols and the last night we went to a local hotel that was recommended to us. I tried the southern fried chicken and it was to die for, the waiter wouldn't tell me too much but said it was soaked in Butter milk for a long time then dredged in spices. The meat was thigh I know that much, skin off and served over re fried beans, and they were heaven as well. What mix would you guys dredge the chicken in? I've e mailed the pub to see if they can share some of the spices. No reply yet but I thought you guys may help me???
Tia.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: Southern fried chicken. Help please.

Postby Txdragon » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:41 pm

Salt, paprika, cayenne, sage, cumin, onion and garlic powder.
Soak chicken in buttermilk at minimum, 8 hours. Dredge in all purpose flour. You can mix it up a bit and add either corn starch or some cornmeal. Mix at 75:25. 1 c flour to 1/4 cup corn starch or cornmeal.
(Insert witty signature here)
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:00 pm

Txdragon wrote:Salt, paprika, cayenne, sage, cumin, onion and garlic powder.
Soak chicken in buttermilk at minimum, 8 hours. Dredge in all purpose flour. You can mix it up a bit and add either corn starch or some cornmeal. Mix at 75:25. 1 c flour to 1/4 cup corn starch or cornmeal.

Thanks txd, never thought of sage??? We have it growing here, I dry my own herbs. Is garlic powder better than fresh garlic???
This is a great start for my version, thanks for taking the time to answer.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:05 pm

Russ wrote:

Thanks txd, never thought of sage??? We have it growing here, I dry my own herbs. Is garlic powder better than fresh garlic???

Russ

If you use fresh garlic, add it to your buttermilk and not directly to the chicken. Fresh garlic would most certainly burn during the frying process.
(Insert witty signature here)
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:07 pm

Txdragon wrote:
Russ wrote:

Russ

If you use fresh garlic, add it to your buttermilk and not directly to the chicken. Fresh garlic would most certainly burn during the frying process.

Cheers, I will stick to what you suggest and get garlic powder. Don't want to muck it up. :happ: :happ:

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:54 pm

Russ you're asking us how to make southern fried chicken, Hello can't get much more southern than you...... :dont:

OK Txdragon offers good advice. Only thing I can add is big deep cast iron skillet about half full of grease. Oh and you might want to let the chicken set a bit after dredging then dredge again.
tarde venientibus ossa....
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:01 pm

Papa Tom wrote:Russ you're asking us how to make southern fried chicken, Hello can't get much more southern than you...... :dont:

OK Txdragon offers good advice. Only thing I can add is big deep cast iron skillet about half full of grease. Oh and you might want to let the chicken set a bit after dredging then dredge again.

Lol, southern, never thought of that. Your tips taken on board, I think I'm getting close to getting what I think might be a good recipe. Double dredge....I like the sound of that. Thanks brother.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:26 am

My choice of dry dredge after wet buttermilk dredge would be Flour, salt and pepper, clucker dust or chicken tickler and possibly a little powdered garlic dusting ??? Good Luck Pard :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:33 am

I concur with all above. Double dredge with a couple minutes between to really solidify coating, cast iron skillet or dutch oven. If you can get lucky and get beef fat for the oil it really gives it flavor like no other. Very hard for me to find unless I know someone with commercial ordering capabilities.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:56 pm

Would it work to save your steak trimmings?
Moink!
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:08 pm

Sailor Kenshin wrote:Would it work to save your steak trimmings?

If that question was for me I honestly dont know. I saw an episode on TV about one of the highest rated fried chicken places in the country and they used beef fat exclusively. A buddy with a restaurant ordered me a couple gals from his supplier and it was amazing.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:55 pm

Lots of good advice here. Cast iron is a must for me to fry chicken in. The corn starch mixed with flour will add extra crispness to the chicken. I like the old-fashioned buttermilk soak as well. Sage (or poultry seasoning) is a must seasoning for me as well. I also add garlic powder, black pepper, salt, paprika, and cayenne to my self-rising flour (not regular flour). I only use peanut oil to fry with.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:30 pm

Lots if advice, much appreciated, beef fat is everywhere here, we were raised with beef dripping. I will fry these in beef as I have it in my fridge. Also lots pig fat here left over from my pork crackling I make, sorry for sidetrack but it's fat related. And we like fat,lol.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:07 pm

Crushed up Ritz Crackers or Corn Flakes always works for me if you like extra crispy skin as I do..

As a side note...
I recently heard from a family member that used to be a manager for 15 years at a ( certain fast food ) joint that they use some sort of beef flavoring in the French Fries !!
Rumor has it that it is the ( secret ) ingredient that gets people ( hooked ) on thier fries....

Sounds probable to me
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:35 pm

One thing I’d add…you said thighs skin off. I would’ve grabbed that waiter by the collar and refused to let go until he brought me some fried chicken skin!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”