Feeling cheeky?!

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Feeling cheeky?!

Postby Txdragon » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:18 pm

I promised this one to my favorite rib boiler, Russ!! A bit lengthy, grab a drink!

What I've done today is some beef cheek or cachete de res, cachete, barbacoa; call it what you will, but I call it darn good grub!
Technically speaking, "barbacoa" is simply BBQ in Spanish. It can be made from any slow cooked cut of meat; more typically beef. Many places use chuck or round, but I prefer the use of cheek.
Any credible chef would agree that cheek meat is absolutely wonderful and one of, if not THE best cut from just about every animal you can harvest it from. I may not be a credible chef, but with that statement, I agree.

Here is the beginning. Before seasoning. Ain't it purty?
20171118_165236.jpg

I season simply with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder, and cumin, then add a little water to the foil and then wrap it up. In the oven it goes for about 10 hours at 250 deg.
20171119_081134.jpg

For me, the proper way to eat this is in a taco. So at some point in the cooking process, I make some flour tortillas. This has got to be one of the weirdest items ever. So simple in terms of ingredients and quite difficult in technique. Why? I'm just gonna tell you to make your own and roll them out at the right thickness and perfectly round. Get back with me after you've invented 5 new cuss words.
They start with flour, salt, baking powder, lard, and water. Yup. 5 ingredients.
20171119_075650.jpg

After you get your dough made, then you need to make yourself a good, stiff drink because the stuff is about to hit the fan. Portion out a dough ball about the size of a golf ball and roll out your tortilla.
20171119_111913.jpg

Now they go into a hot pan (about 350 deg) for about 20 seconds per side. Bingo, you have made flour tortillas!
20171119_112204.jpg

Here we have cheeks ready and out of the oven. The most awesome part is about an hour or so after they start cooking, the smell just fills the house and it gets stronger. Good luck lasting 10 full hours with the smell of awesomeness permeating from your kitchen!
20171119_081255.jpg

Now you've got to get it taco ready. If it is truly ready, you can literally put it in a bowl and stir it with a fork, almost like whisking an egg, and it will look like this.
20171119_081812.jpg

Now you can build your taco. I go: tortilla, cheese, cheek, onion, cilantro, then really shine it up and give it a squeeze of lime.
20171119_113106.jpg

Until yesterday, there was only 1 place in town I could purchase beef cheek. I noticed it in the beef cooler while we were shopping at wally world and asked the fella if they were now going to start carrying it and was told yes. Prayers truly are answered!!
(Insert witty signature here)
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Re: Feeling cheeky?!

Postby Russ » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:20 pm

That's almost identical to how I would cook it too, I know I have some in my freezer somewhere, might take a while to find as I have 2 chest and 2 fridge freezers.lol. I would even make the tacos as well. Great cook and pics btw.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:28 pm

Russ wrote:That's almost identical to how I would cook it too, I know I have some in my freezer somewhere, might take a while to find as I have 2 chest and 2 fridge freezers.lol. I would even make the tacos as well. Great cook and pics btw.

Russ

Haha! We have 2 freezers and with beef cheek, I would just grab from the nearest freezer because I keep it stocked in both!
What I've been looking around for are some more options on cheek other than tacos. You're a curry fan, ever tried them curried? Tandoori? Any reasons I shouldn't?
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:34 pm

Can't see why they wouldn't be nice in a curry, my friend is a retired butcher, even had his own shop, he gave me some cheeks about a year ago, he said it's the best meat, so I believe him, and you agree so I'm sold. I've just got to find them, coincidentally cheeks have been appearing on restaurant menus lately here. Long and slow works good to me.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:13 pm

THAT is some Gourmet Grub, my Friend, and some truly mouth watering Tacos - - yum yum yum :chef: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:05 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:THAT is some Gourmet Grub, my Friend, and some truly mouth watering Tacos - - yum yum yum :chef: :salut: :cheers:

Thank ya, sir! This is a meal that the missus demands at least once a week. Lol!
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:21 pm

Yer tryin' ta kill me! :laughing7:

We never see that cut here. Looks REALLY well-marbled. And that reminds me I wanted to make my own torts. I heard of a Secret Method of putting the ball-o-dough under a glass pie plate and squishing for a more perfect circle, but I wouldn't care how they come out.
Moink!
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:27 pm

Sailor Kenshin wrote:Yer tryin' ta kill me! :laughing7:

We never see that cut here. Looks REALLY well-marbled. And that reminds me I wanted to make my own torts. I heard of a Secret Method of putting the ball-o-dough under a glass pie plate and squishing for a more perfect circle, but I wouldn't care how they come out.

I too have heard of that trick. It works best for corn tortillas as it leaves flour tortillas still too thick. Unless I goofed somehow? Lol!
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:23 am

That, plus a little of "That Green Sauce" to liven it up some and I would be all over that. I must admit I go to a local Mexican grocery for my homemade tortillas tho. Just doesn't seem worth the trouble when you can watch them make them and bag 'em up for you. Fantastic tacos, and way to document the process. I'm a big fan Sir :chef: :chef: :chef: :chef: :chef:
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:09 am

outlaw wrote:That, plus a little of "That Green Sauce" to liven it up some and I would be all over that. I must admit I go to a local Mexican grocery for my homemade tortillas tho. Just doesn't seem worth the trouble when you can watch them make them and bag 'em up for you. Fantastic tacos, and way to document the process. I'm a big fan Sir :chef: :chef: :chef: :chef: :chef:

I support this message.
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:03 pm

Looks delish, TX
Pops raised beef cows for our families consumption many moons ago. I'll have to ask my mom what they did with the cheeks. :dont:

Bill
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:34 pm

Thanks all! Bondo: I've done my best to harvest cheek from every pig I've butchered and it is NOT an easy harvest. I would like to think it'd be easier for cows but no telling. I've yet to butcher a steer. THAT is on the horizon though!

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”