It's JUSTIN'S FAULT

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

It's JUSTIN'S FAULT

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:21 am

Yesterday while in HEB I spotted some nice large bunches of Collard Greens for less than a buck a bunch so I picked up a couple. I don't know if these will be ready in time for breakfast this morning but they will surely cover a mid-afternoon ?S'unch? after we get back from the Wiffy's Pulmonary Doc Appt. Of course they will be accompanied by a cast-iron full of Lil Martha's Sweet Yeller con-bread.

Put the Pot "Stock" into a half pot of water and boiled vigariously along with some Suckle Busters SPG. I prefer choppin the veggies a little coarser for Collards and like to boil the Smoked Hawg Ankles reall good before adding the Collards. Don't want the Collards soft and mushy just done. One of the beauties of Collards is the Cruchyness they can offer if done properly.

IMG_0022.JPG

IMG_0024.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG

I prefer to only remove the center stalk and then tear into pretty good size pieces before putting into the pot of prepared Stock that has been boiling for quite a while. I will slow simmer this until the Collards are done to taste but "not mushy".
IMG_0026.JPG

IMG_0027.JPG

IMG_0028.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Re: It's JUSTIN'S FAULT

Postby outlaw » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:32 am

Something to look forward to when you get home, fo sho. :chef: :chef:
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:56 am

Well Justin, if you’re gettin’ blames for somethin’ might as well be somethin’ tasty! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:01 am

Yesiree, Friend, I made sure I had breakfast down before tasting and I can't wait until Martha comes out of the Oven this ennin. Added a little salt and pepper and I'll put the lid on tight with burner off in a little while. Pot Liquor was awesome and should sop just fine later today :tup:

IMG_0029.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:22 pm

Oooooo....looks tasty, OUP! :chef:

Do you always leave off the stalks? Do they ever cook up? It's been decades since we grew collards.
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:09 pm

Yes, I do and I have even tried leaving the stalk that was in the leafy part but I prefer them removed. A little more trouble but worth it IMHO :dont:
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Re: It's JUSTIN'S FAULt

Postby JustinCouch » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:53 pm

I am honored gentlemen.
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:51 pm

Great plates oup, love greens, and Martha's goodness, you just reminded me it's due for me to make again. Great with lashings of butter.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: It's JUSTIN'S FAULt

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:15 pm

JustinCouch wrote:I am honored gentlemen.

I think it's probably the Holidays, but for some reason I tend to forget that we don't call them "Fall Collards" for nuttin and it took you, Sir, to remind me that it's not only time to set the old Clock back but it's time to cook some Suthern Goodness called Collard Greens.

Thought about them boogers sittin in the frig all day and didn't get home from the Wiffy's Doc appt until almost 3pm and I was hoongree to say the least. Whooped up a pan of Con-bread and heated the Collards for a late Lunch early Supper or let's just say "Grub". Put the knife to one of the smoked Hawg Ankles and dolloped the Butter twixed a slice of the Yeller Goodness and chow time was "ON".

IMG_0031.JPG

IMG_0032.JPG

I always keep a bottle of what we call "Pepper Sauce" in the Frig and I "only" use it on Collards.
IMG_0030.JPG

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”