deep fried turkey

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

pup
Pilgrim

deep fried turkey

Postby pup » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:35 pm

Has anyone deep fried a turkey and if so is their any seasoning thst does not burn when the turkey is fried and HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL
I JUS WUV BAR B Q
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:57 pm

I'm told not to season the turkey as it just screws up the oil. But we do have some Turkey Frying experts, I'm sure one will come along shortly. :D
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
Kalrog
Rustler

Postby Kalrog » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:07 pm

If you need to flavor your fried bird, you will want to do an injection. I am not a big fan of anything rubbed on the outside of the skin - it doesn't do anything but burn and make the oil go bad faster.
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:04 pm

Kalrog wrote:If you need to flavor your fried bird, you will want to do an injection. I am not a big fan of anything rubbed on the outside of the skin - it doesn't do anything but burn and make the oil go bad faster.

what Kalrog said. I would suggest getting some kind of injection for the turkey and not to rub anything on the outside of the bird
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:44 pm

I'm not an expert, but I won't let that stop me. :twisted: :wink:

The outlaws have done *many* turkeys. Early on we tried doing rubs, but didn't notice much flavor. The injections we tried worked, but they only injected the breast, and the injection didn't really flavor the entire breast, just the areas where the injection was. Since then, we just do plain turkeys. Less work and still great flavor.

That said, I've heard you can use spices under the skin, where they're protected a bit from the heat. Don't know if that'll work, 'cause we never tried it, but might be worth a shot. Like Kalrog said, though, the spices will screw up the oil if used too heavily.

Also, with injection, try to inject as evenly as possible. We had pockets of flavor, but we assumed the injection would spread a bit more.

Hope this helps.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:51 pm

No rub, just washes away... If injecting, do so at least the night before to allow the liquid to migrate into the meat... if you inject and then cook too soon, you get those dreaded pockets...

James.

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”