Southern Black-eyed Peas

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Southern Black-eyed Peas

Postby OSD » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:04 pm

Wed. evening - one 2 pound bag of dried black-eyed peas put in a pot to soak overnight.
Thur. - drain peas and add fresh water and cook peas til done. Cool and put back in frig.
Fri. - The fun begins. First chop up 6-8 pieces of bacon. Fry the bacon in a stock pot. When bacon is crispy, remove bacon, leave the grease in bottom of pot.
Turn down the heat on the pot and saute 3 med onions-chopped and 2 to3 Jalapeno peppers-chopped and about 6 cloves of chopped garlic.
Now turn down the heat to med. Add the undrained peas ( pour off some of the water and save it ), 1 can of stewed tomatoes, 1 can of Ro-Tel,salt pepper, Cayenne pepper, 3 dried red peppers, and 2 tablespoons of hot sauce.Turn up the heat and simmer for about 2 hours.
Now add back in the bacon, 1 pound of small cubed ham ( about 1/4 inch cubes ), and 1 pound of Sliced Andouille sausage. You can add back in the saved juice any time needed.
Simmer for about 1 hour and then add 1/4 cup flour dissolved in some of the cold bean juice and simmer til it starts to thicken. Take pot off the heat and let cool. Then put in fridge for a day.
Sat. - Reheat peas slowly. While reheating peas, make up a batch of Jalapeno cornbread.
When the cornbread and peas are ready. Slice the cornbread in half and apply lots of butter and place in a pasta bowl.
Now pour the peas over the cornbread in the bowl.

Add a big glass of sweet tea and you are set for a great dinner. :D
Jim
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:26 pm

Quote " add 1 can of Ro-Tel,salt pepper, Cayenne pepper, 3 dried red peppers, and 2 tablespoons of hot sauce.Turn up the heat "

Why does turn up the heat sound redundant? :dont:
tarde venientibus ossa....
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:38 pm

Probably cause I don't write or cook as perfect as you. :D
Jim
smoked USER_AVATAR
Smoked
Cowboy

Postby Smoked » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:07 pm

I do believe I will need to test drive this recipe..

Thanks
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:22 pm

OSD, had some blackeyes to night. Not quite like yours but they sure were good. I also see you are using my Chile pepper corn bread pan. LOL. I haven't found one yet but I will. It all looks good. CF
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”