Pulled Pork Casserole

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Allie

Pulled Pork Casserole

Postby Allie » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:31 pm

I guess that's a good name for it. I needed a dinner idea and have a lot of leftover pork so I made this.

I chopped some onions, bell peppers, and potatoes and then sauted in olive oil. Meanwhile, I heated the pork in foil in the oven. Then I chopped it up (for some reason it didn't pull well this time) and made up a sauce. Chipotle ketchup, apple cider vinegar, and brown sugar to make a kind of vinegar sauce. I put the potato mixture in the bottom of the dish, sprinkled the pork over it, and then poured the sauce over the top. Finally, I sprinkled a lot of cheese on it (colby jack) and put it in the oven at 350 until the cheese melted.

It was pretty juicy so that's something I have to work on with this dish in the future.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:39 pm

Chipotle Ketchup? You make that? Never seen it in a store but sounds good. Food looks good too, maybe cut back on the liquid next time if it's too wet.

The Mrs Birthday today, and I'm getting off easy. Her request was PP egg rolls (in the freezer) and Hot and Sour Soup. Guessin' she's still working off the Anniversary Dinner. Did make a soy based dipping sauce, kind of felt guilty.

Back to the hot dish, might want to try layering it next time. Cheese has a tendency to melt and seal all that moisture in....but you know that. I'll have a full helping please :D
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:44 pm

Allie I need to come over more often........
My wife likes PP stuffed baked potatoes with PP sour cream and cheddar.
tarde venientibus ossa....
Allie

Postby Allie » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:49 pm

Dave, I bought the Chipotle Ketchup at Walmart a few weeks ago. IMO, it tastes just like the Kraft and other bbq sauces with liquid smoke. That's why I chose to get rid of it by jazzing it up. I'm thinking maybe I should have reduced the sauce a bit more and layered it. It was just my brainstorm on the fly since I wasn't prepared for Les to be home tonight and didn't have enough of the meal I was planning to feed him, too. lol

Tom, I love the potatoes, too!! When I first found out Les was coming home, that was my plan. Then he called at about 4:20 and told me it would be around 8 pm before he gets back! Too late to try and hold a potato and since I have to pick him up, a fresh cooked one would get cold before we got back home.

If you're ever in NE Indiana, I'd be happy to feed you!
Allie

Postby Allie » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:51 pm

Oh yeah, Dave have you posted a how to on the egg rolls? We love eating them at restaurants but I've never attempted any on my own. That sounds like a good way to use up some pork! Did I mention, I still have another butt left from Wednesday? lol It will most likely end up in the freezer tonight.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:52 pm

Allie wrote:Dave, I bought the Chipotle Ketchup at Walmart a few weeks ago. IMO, it tastes just like the Kraft and other bbq sauces with liquid smoke. That's why I chose to get rid of it by jazzing it up. I'm thinking maybe I should have reduced the sauce a bit more and layered it. It was just my brainstorm on the fly since I wasn't prepared for Les to be home tonight and didn't have enough of the meal I was planning to feed him, too. lol

Tom, I love the potatoes, too!! When I first found out Les was coming home, that was my plan. Then he called at about 4:20 and told me it would be around 8 pm before he gets back! Too late to try and hold a potato and since I have to pick him up, a fresh cooked one would get cold before we got back home.

If you're ever in NE Indiana, I'd be happy to feed you!

The microwave has a "baked potato" setting. Takes like 5 minutes max :lol:

Pulled Pork Egg Rolls http://www.texasbbqforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2420
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
Allie

Postby Allie » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:04 pm

Thanks for the link!

Microwave potatoes? To me, that's about as bad as crock pot bbq. lol
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:27 pm

That sounds and looks really good. :D :D
Jim
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:00 am

Very nice!
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:14 am

Looks great, Allie!
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:00 pm

Allie wrote:Thanks for the link!

Microwave potatoes? To me, that's about as bad as crock pot bbq. lol

Gots to agree with ya there... micro'd tates taste 'bout as good as elementary school glue paste... (did anybody else have the mint flavored 'er I mean smell'n paste?)

James.

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”