Turkey Cooking

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

What's you're favorite way to cook Turkey??

Poll ended at Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:49 am

Traditional - oven roasted or baked
25%
Fried
25%
Smoked
35%
Smo-Fried
5%
Other
10%

Total votes: 20
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:46 pm

Well till yall have had a turkey which been cooked slow direct using a rotess..you aint had no turkey. Had an old friend from down at the local watering hole who run an experiement one thanksgiving. He did 3 turkeys as follows: one smoked, one fried and one direct on his gas grill. The guests overwhemlingly chose the gassed rotessed turkey as the best. No telling how good it would be over live mesquite coals huh? Or maybe even lump and chunks as a distant 2nd choice. Now I say slow..but even when you cook slow..it still cooks purty fast in the direct mode. Think the last time I spun one on the gasser as low as it would go..250 or so at gauge level it was hitting 175 in the thigh in not much over an hour. I can only do small ones and have to cut off the wings to keep them from bumping into stuff. I got a smallish gasser I guess. Sure wished my Rotess motor hadnt zonked out.

bigwheel
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:49 pm

Well its a giant pain in the booty and makes not a lick of sense to cook it like that. Good luck.

bigwheel

Papa Tom wrote:I went and bought a couple gallons of peanut oil today, I have a fryer that is still in the same packing it was in a year ago it's time to put it to work. In a couple weeks when the turkeys go on sale one is going to get the oil bath.
I have had fried turkey before but never done it myself.
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:11 pm

Papa Tom wrote:I went and bought a couple gallons of peanut oil today, I have a fryer that is still in the same packing it was in a year ago it's time to put it to work. In a couple weeks when the turkeys go on sale one is going to get the oil bath.
I have had fried turkey before but never done it myself.

PT,
I fried one a few years ago and am still haunted by peanut oil stains in my deck. Note, I Followed the directions to the T. I even took the precaution of placing a couple of plastic tarps under the fryer as I anticipated some splatter and spewage. Tarps melted through in the first few minutes and I had visions of burning the deck off the house at one point. Still use the burner fer Labstah, but my turkey fying days are over.
Keep yur Q mitts handy cause ya might jus need 'em in a hurry.
dj
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:29 pm

Not gonna get cooked on the deck cause I hate it every time I burn down a deck that's attached to the house, and that ain't nothing compared to what she says. :argue: I've got plenty of concrete and brick patio area to scrub oil stains off of. And I do too, I've been known to put 5 quarts of primo synthetic oil in the Corvette before installing the drain plug....... I have had incidents of pit drool finding it's way to the concrete also.
tarde venientibus ossa....
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:14 pm

Spillage/spashige... That's why we fry turks over where da grass don't grow...maybe that's why grass don't grow there?... :lol:

James.
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:01 am

Aloha Bigwheel,

Yes I rotiss'ed a 15 lb turkey on Thanksgiving '06. Came out real good. Took a bit over 2-1/2 hours over indirect heat from alder and lump charcoal. On the same spit I had a chunk of beef and also a pork shoulder. All finished the same time because I had 3 separate fires.(my homemade motorized spit is 5' long).

I brined it using a "Portugese-style" recipe from Sunset Magazine.

Rostiss'ed meat is normally moist and is self basting as it goes round and round. I have rotiss'ed 100 lb hogs in about 6 hours and it is doesn't dry out.

a hui hou,
honu41
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:46 am

Hey Honu...sounds like you got quite a set up and seem to have that Rotessing down to a fine art form. Would love to see that hawg and the other critters going for a spin. Post some pics sometime. Thanks.

bigwheel
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:03 am

Aloha kakahiaka Bigwheel,

That may sound awful but it is "Good morning" in Hawaiian. Yes I have been rotiss'ng and doing "kalua" since the early 1950's ( I am a makule {old} man). I have pix of my cooks and will be happy to share not only the pix but info on how I do it. I have 21 pix showing the highlights of Hawaiian style pit roasting and several pix of my rotiss'ng. Be forwarned that the rotiss'ng equipment are homemade and will not win awards for eye appeal and styling but I know for sure they work.

My question is: where and how do I post the pix and are there limits of how many? Lemme know the best way.

Have a great day and what you q'ing today???? It is 28 deg here so staying indoors sounds appealing to me...

a hui hou
honu41
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:36 am

honu41 wrote:Aloha kakahiaka Bigwheel,

My question is: where and how do I post the pix and are there limits of how many? Lemme know the best way.

Well you can post them to a web site and post a link here, or
post them to a website (like photobucket) and post the thumbs here, or
post them to a website and post the full size photo's here. We ask that if you do the latter to compress or reduce them in size to somewhere below 50K in size so our dial uppers don't get frozen in time.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:56 pm

Would love to see the pics! If you need help getting them posted, just let me know.

James.
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:59 pm

Yeppers to whut they said. Sounds plausible to me.

bigwheel
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:14 pm

Aloha and good evening,

Mahalo in your interest to see my pix. Sending one or a couple doesn't show the process. A friend of mine here in Seattle is assisting me with sending my pix so you can vue them. So it should be together in a day or two...

take care,
honu41

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”