beer can chicken

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

mags
Pilgrim

beer can chicken

Postby mags » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:01 pm

It might be hard to imagine but I have actually never tried beer can chicken yet but I'm going to give it a try this weekend. Do you folks have any good suggestions for what rub you use and what you put in the beer can?

Thanks,
Magnus
rich777 USER_AVATAR
Rich777
Chuck Wagon

Postby Rich777 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:37 pm

Mags, any type of rub that you like will do fine. If you are going to use a a beer can , I would suggest the sixteen ounce variety. Just pop the top and slide the bird on top, kinda like it's sitting on top of the grill. Home Depot, Lowe's, Wal-Mart have a device that is alittle more stable. It's a stand type thing that has a bowl on the bottom, pour the beer in and enjoy! :drunk: Hope this helps. :D
a stumpted toe hurts
scotty da q USER_AVATAR
Scotty Da Q
Cowboy

Postby Scotty Da Q » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:37 am

I put onions, garlic, & rosemary in mine.
I also seal the top of the neck.
Regards,
Scotty
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:27 am

The ones I've had have been very simple. Just rub your favorite rub on and under the skin and on the inside of the bird, coat a 2/3-full can with a little oil, slide the whole bird onto the can, and cook indirect at 325-350*. It's about 1.25-1.5 hours, but go by temp. You want 165* in the breast and in the thigh.

Some people say they can taste a difference when they use different liquids, others can't. Personally, I haven't noticed much difference, but that's me. I've heard of beer, wine, sodas, chicken broth, and even plain water being used.

Some people plug the neck to help seal the steam in. Personally, I think that makes the meat a little *too* moist, but YMMV. I've seen onions, apples, and lemon wedges used as plugs, and there's even some ceramic chicken heads out there designed for that. Try a bird both ways and see which one you prefer.

There's a great step-by-step series here:
http://bbq.about.com/od/chicken/ss/aa072807a.htm

Good luck.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:45 am

One of the very best tasting and purtiest beer butted chickens I ever tasted come from fella parked next to us at a bbq cookoff once upon a time. He had a little trick of getting them ready by conventional means and smoke em up for a couple of hours then he put a brown paper sack (slightly mo bigga than the bird but not by much) down over the top of the bird to finish. Gave them a real nice uniform color and they were super moist. Might give that strategy a try sometime if you want to do some expurimenting.

bigwheel
mags
Pilgrim

Postby mags » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:29 am

thanks for the suggestions! It turned out real good, Mrs just wanted to cook it in the oven this time but it turned out great anyway.

-Magnus

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”