Another ABT Question

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Re: Another ABT Question

Postby TX Sandman » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:33 pm

SteerCrazy wrote:Anyone else have grilling times??

I do mine indirect (or in the oven, if needed), ~350*, for 30 minutes or so. The peppers are soft, usually not hot, and the bacon is a good texture. So far I haven't smoked 'em.

SC, I've done them early. Other than takin' a little longer to cook, they do fine. I've even heard of folks freezing a batch for cookin' later. Just thaw and cook like usual.

Me, they'd never make it to the freezer. If I'm makin' 'em, I'm eatin' 'em.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
Allie

Postby Allie » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:36 pm

I also use the cheapest bacon I can find. Corn King works well and I can usually get it for around $2. I find that the cheaper bacon will stretch more and I can really wrap them tightly to keep all the gooey goodness inside instead of falling out. When we grill them, we only cook until the bacon is crispy. Our peppers are usually pretty soft but I like them that way. The last time we used the warming rack on the grill and they probably were on it for an hour to an hour and a half. I still prefer them on the smoker for a few hours.

Gosh, I wish I'd known you could freeze and cook later! I dehydrated a bunch of japs this summer because I had so many at once I didn't know what else to do. I did freeze a few of the japs and thought about trying to stuff them this winter. Prices have dropped at my local grocery store to 99 cents a pound so it's not unreasonable to buy them. Their japs are bigger than the ones we grew. (With the garden thieves, I only got a peppers a few times......grrr!)
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:38 am

Def. agree with the cheapest thinnest bacon thing... We also like to grill then smoke them or if the grill is not around, cook 'em in the hot spot down near the firebox...

James.
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:46 am

good info, thanks! I'll prep them Friday night for a saturday grill. I'll have 2 briskets, a pork shoulder and a boneless turkey breast to smoke fri night as well.

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”