Salsa too spicy?

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Salsa too spicy?

Postby nascarchuck » Sat May 19, 2007 11:18 am

Someone in another forum said that he bought some habanero salsa and it was too hot. He wants to tone it down a bit. This sounds like it could be a good topic to discuss.

What could he use to tone down spicy salsa? How about other common foods?

Wife said that she knows some things you can use Rice Wine Vinegar and it will work.

I have always heard that you can eat some sugar to help relieve the pain.
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Sat May 19, 2007 11:26 am

Personally, only thing I know would work would be to dilute it. I'd either mix it with a mild salsa or use it to make queso/guacamole/whatever.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sat May 19, 2007 11:27 am

For the salsa, I would mix in more tomatoes.
Pureed carrots will cut the heat in some foods. Works in chili and beans, and you never see it once its mixed in. :D Lemon juice or stock in some foods :D
Jim
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sat May 19, 2007 12:13 pm

Sweet is the usual cure for stuff that is too hot. Vividly recall my old pal Big Dave had a purty good pot o chili brewing at one of our contests but it would flat light you up. He dumped about 1/2 lb of turbinado sugar in there and hit first place. Think it sorta got the judges cornfused as to whether it was sweet or hot.

bigwheel
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat May 19, 2007 12:38 pm

bigwheel wrote:Sweet is the usual cure for stuff that is too hot. Vividly recall my old pal Big Dave had a purty good pot o chili brewing at one of our contests but it would flat light you up. He dumped about 1/2 lb of turbinado sugar in there and hit first place. Think it sorta got the judges cornfused as to whether it was sweet or hot.

bigwheel

I agree, sugar will mellow it out. I've also heard the a potato will suck some of the heat up also. Never tried that one though.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sat May 19, 2007 2:17 pm

Well the onliest way I have heard about using the raw tate is when you scorch the pinto beans. Raw tate supposed to absorb some of the burnt taste. Never heard of using it for heat reduction but might help in that regard too.

bigwheel

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”