Tex-Mex cooking

Postby OSD » Wed May 09, 2007 6:44 pm

Here's a good site with lots of info. :D

http://www.texmex.net/
Jim
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Wed May 09, 2007 8:46 pm

Hey OSD thanks for the link. I went over there and nosed around a bit. It just slightly too yuppiefied for me. Now will assure anybody that most of the Mexican restaurants in San Antone (which is the author's claim to fame) got real crappy food. I finally figgered this out several years back when somebody finally tole me that most of the restaurant owners down there had migrated from El Paso...and El Paso got real crappy food too influenced by both New Mexico and whutever state in Mexico it is which just across the River which also got crappy food. It do not generally agree with us regular old folks. Now them left coast liberal folks from sunny CA prob gobble it up like little piglets of course:) Now there is a coupla of good Mexican food places down there but they few and far between. Nearly need a guide to find em. I forget the name of it right now but me and Emeril both like it. It out on the Bandera hwy on the N. side of the road. They got real food in there.

bigwheel
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Wed May 09, 2007 9:02 pm

bigwheel wrote:Hey OSD thanks for the link. I went over there and nosed around a bit. It just slightly too yuppiefied for me. Now will assure anybody that most of the Mexican restaurants in San Antone (which is the author's claim to fame) got real crappy food. I finally figgered this out several years back when somebody finally tole me that most of the restaurant owners down there had migrated from El Paso...and El Paso got real crappy food too influenced by both New Mexico and whutever state in Mexico it is which just across the River which also got crappy food. It do not generally agree with us regular old folks. Now them left coast liberal folks from sunny CA prob gobble it up like little piglets of course:) Now there is a coupla of good Mexican food places down there but they few and far between. Nearly need a guide to find em. I forget the name of it right now but me and Emeril both like it. It out on the Bandera hwy on the N. side of the road. They got real food in there.

Taco Bell?

bigwheel
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Wed May 09, 2007 9:06 pm

Thanks for the link Jim... As for me, I don;t really care much for Tex-Mex. I love the more authentic Mexican food!

Here is a website with some good authentic Mexican recipes along with pics... http://www.rollybrook.com/kitchen.htm
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed May 09, 2007 10:06 pm

Hotter than Hades, I'll eat it be it beef, pork or road kill. TexMex is fine with me. Most of the "authentic" Mexican food is bland to me. Give me heat or give me death!
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
pcolamike USER_AVATAR
pcolamike
Pilgrim
Location: Currently Pensacola, FL but Fort Worth will allways be home

Postby pcolamike » Sat May 19, 2007 9:00 am

Good site, I've been thinking about doing some tamales ever since seeing a bit about Pedro's tamales on "Texas Country Reporter" on RFD channel a couple of weeks ago.
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sat May 19, 2007 12:19 pm

Did a bunch of tamales a year or so back. It way too labor intensive for gringos to mess with.

bigwheel
pcolamike USER_AVATAR
pcolamike
Pilgrim
Location: Currently Pensacola, FL but Fort Worth will allways be home

Postby pcolamike » Sat May 19, 2007 1:01 pm

That's why you have to either create or import a half height labor force. Unfortunately my wife and I haven't created our own, so I guess I'll have to wait till my sister shows up with the nephews. :dgrin:
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat May 19, 2007 1:10 pm

I concur with BW. Made 'em once, now I buy em in the frozen aisle and reheat at home.

No half height labor force here either, and no plans on acquiring one either :lol:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sat May 19, 2007 1:53 pm

nice info on Tex-Mex....might have to give the homemade tamales a try....my brother use to eat the kind from a can, minus the corn husk. nastiest lookin things I ever did see.
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sat May 19, 2007 2:14 pm

Dang I have ate a million of them thangs from the can. Object is to smush it all up and pour the juice over the top...thick layer of Pace Picante over all. Yum yum. They got a tamale factory somewhere in Foat Wuth which sells the real ones for 2 bucks a dozen but you got to buy 10 dozen minimum I think. Taint bad.

bigwheel
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sat May 19, 2007 4:41 pm

bigwheel wrote:Dang I have ate a million of them thangs from the can. Object is to smush it all up and pour the juice over the top...thick layer of Pace Picante over all. Yum yum. They got a tamale factory somewhere in Foat Wuth which sells the real ones for 2 bucks a dozen but you got to buy 10 dozen minimum I think. Taint bad.

bigwheel

except his gas :fart: oh man those things tore up his insides

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”