Dinner for my mother's 80 years birthday

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Dinner for my mother's 80 years birthday

Postby Norway Joe » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:21 pm

We are spending the weekend at the cabin with my parents.
My mother is 80 today and father was 83 last Saturday. We're celebrating both today and my wife and I got the honor to cook the dinner.

We made a starter of canned Tuna fish. Might not sound very exciting but when you mix it with chopped spring onions, shredded ginger, chopped chili, fish sauce, whipped egg and S&P it's very tasty. Make balls the size of a golf ball and squeeze flat. Fry for 1-2 minutes on each side in oil. Over the finished fish cakes you sprinkle a sauce made of fish sauce, rice wine vinegar, sugar, lime juice and coriander.

It's a taste bomb. I really recommend trying these. If you're interested I can post the recipe.

Main course was roast of sirloin from grass fed Angus from Uruguay, potato pancetta, mushrooms , broccoli and homemade bearnaise.

Dessert was strawberry jello with vanilla sauce.

Didn't get to take pictures of everything but here are a few.ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Dinner for my mother's 80 years birthday

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:06 pm

:wav: :wav: :wav:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUR MOM AND A BELATED FOR YOUR DAD :tup:
Food looks good as always :tup: :salut: :cheers: :chef:

Here's a Song for Them from The Heart of Texas :texas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsWTvIMwDpg
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:31 pm

OldUsedParts wrote::wav: :wav: :wav:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUR MOM AND A BELATED FOR YOUR DAD :tup:
Food looks good as always :tup: :salut: :cheers: :chef:

Here's a Song for Them from The Heart of Texas :texas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsWTvIMwDpg
Thanks Parts.

I just played the song for them. They think at was fun to get a birthday greeting from Texas. Never happened before and I should bring my thanks to you.

bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:56 pm

What a feast. Tell them both Happy Birthday. You are blessed to have your parents around so many years. Very cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:37 pm

You already know this, but I'll recognize it anyways. You are very blessed my friend to have both parents around. Happy Birthday from abroad
What a great way to spend it, with Family and as a bonus, as always your grub looks FANTASTIC!

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:49 pm

joey doing the bomb
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:01 am

Thanks for the nice comments and greetings to my parents. I'll bring them your greetings when they get up. It's now 6.45 am and I'm the only one up. Probably won't see the rest before 9. Am. I love having the cabin for myself a couple of hours in the morning. Some cups of coffee, crosswords and the only sound is the wind howling around the corners outside is a great start on the day.

Yes I'm blessed with having my parents around so long. Especially since they also are in so good shape. They are very active with walking, driving road trips around the country and a little traveling abroad. Hope it stays like that for many years.

Thanks again.

copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:06 am

Honestly I love jello. So simple and good. Excellent pics for the celebration.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:08 am

Thanks.

My parents say thanks for the greetings.Image

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:09 am

:tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:44 am

Wow Joe, they DO look great !!

I truly believe that the Fountain Of Youth is, in reality " our kids "..
Every family has thier so called " issues " and disagreements and can tend to get out of hand, but I believe that when we get around Mom and Dad we should always find a way to re pay them with Happy Times because I think it keeps them Young at heart and in better health.
This is why I say this and please forgive me ahead of time, I don't mean to hijack your thread.
I just want to share something with you regarding Moms and Dads and how our energy reflects on them

My Mom is 89 but looks and acts 20 years younger, maybe even 25.
She had found out about 4 years ago she had Cancer and it was a huge blow to our family because we lost our Dad in 1988 to Cancer just after I graduated high school.
We weren't sure how hard she could fight or what her will to fight would be considering her circumstances finding this out at her age.
Right about this time, my wife and I were blessed with our amazing son, our Best Friend forever. We were shocked that after trying and giving up for soooooo many years that we were " gifted " with Beautiful Healthy Boy.
We watched what my Mom went thru and we always knew she was a fighter, but my wife and I saw another " level " of fight with her.
I remember her holding Evan only a few months old in the hospital before her first surgery and saying to him... Hey my little Peanut, You and I have Lots of things to do when I get better !!!
Right at that moment, we knew she was gonna put the Smack Down on her Cancer and that's exactly what she did !
Going on 3.5 years Cancer Free thanks to the Big Man above and faith and Family !

Now, before Evan, my Mom already had 20 Grandkids.
It would always amaze me how much she would light up any time they were around, she would completely change no matter what environment.
I'm honored to be able to see my only Son interact with his Grandma and just watch the truly amazing bond that can never be broken. Making memories like these are something that can never be taken from us ya know.
You and your wife , know EXACTLY what I'm talking about just as all of the amazing Moms and Dads, Grandmas and Grandpas on here do as well.
For instance, look at Rambo and Emmett's posts regarding thier kids and thier kids kids.
They may seem tough as nails on the Forum, but as soon as they have thier Grandkids around they are like " Limp Noodles "..
Ok, maybe Emm is " Al Dente

Anyways, the reason I'm rambling on and on is because I recognize tight families when I see them and reading your post and seeing the pics made me smile this morning.
I'm confident that your Mom and Dads good health is a reflection of the time that you and your wife, and your kids take with them.

Thank you for sharing this Joe and enjoy the Family and of course the Fine Food I'm sure will be there

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:22 pm

woodenvisions wrote:Wow Joe, they DO look great !!

Every family has thier so called " issues " and disagreements and can tend to get out of hand, but I believe that when we get around Mom and Dad we should always find a way to re pay them with Happy Times because I think it keeps them Young at heart and in better health.
This is why I say this and please forgive me ahead of time, I don't mean to hijack your thread.
I just want to share something with you regarding Moms and Dads and how our energy reflects on them

She had found out about 4 years ago she had Cancer and it was a huge blow to our family because we lost our Dad in 1988 to Cancer just after I graduated high school.
We weren't sure how hard she could fight or what her will to fight would be considering her circumstances finding this out at her age.
Right about this time, my wife and I were blessed with our amazing son, our Best Friend forever. We were shocked that after trying and giving up for soooooo many years that we were " gifted " with Beautiful Healthy Boy.
We watched what my Mom went thru and we always knew she was a fighter, but my wife and I saw another " level " of fight with her.
I remember her holding Evan only a few months old in the hospital before her first surgery and saying to him... Hey my little Peanut, You and I have Lots of things to do when I get better !!!
Right at that moment, we knew she was gonna put the Smack Down on her Cancer and that's exactly what she did !
Going on 3.5 years Cancer Free thanks to the Big Man above and faith and Family !

It would always amaze me how much she would light up any time they were around, she would completely change no matter what environment.
I'm honored to be able to see my only Son interact with his Grandma and just watch the truly amazing bond that can never be broken. Making memories like these are something that can never be taken from us ya know.
You and your wife , know EXACTLY what I'm talking about just as all of the amazing Moms and Dads, Grandmas and Grandpas on here do as well.
For instance, look at Rambo and Emmett's posts regarding thier kids and thier kids kids.
They may seem tough as nails on the Forum, but as soon as they have thier Grandkids around they are like " Limp Noodles "..

Anyways, the reason I'm rambling on and on is because I recognize tight families when I see them and reading your post and seeing the pics made me smile this morning.
I'm confident that your Mom and Dads good health is a reflection of the time that you and your wife, and your kids take with them.

Thank you for sharing this Joe and enjoy the Family and of course the Fine Food I'm sure will be there

Don't worry about hijacking my thread. As I've said before. If my posts creates engagement I'm happy.

I'm happy your mother beat the cancer. Scary stuff in that age.

I also see that grandchildren gives a new dimension and new vitality to the grandparents. Our kids have been very active with both motocross, biathlon and enduro biking. On almost every competition, my parents have been there watching. The same when my wife ran half marathon downtown my parents were there cheering on her. My parents live only a 5 min. Drive from us and we can see their house from our house. When my kids need transportation or something during the day when I'm at work they call my parents, who never say no. I know the kids appreciate it and our the blue the oldest son just said he felt he couldn't ask my parents for sy much. He felt it wasn't enough with only thank you. I told him they love to give a helping hand when they're asked. I also told my parents about this, and they of course liked this.

I totally agree with you that we are blessed when we have such a great family relation. Hope it lasts for many years. My grandfather (father side) was 95 and my grandmother (mother side) was 97 so good Gene's on both sides.

Thanks for your post Woody, I really liked reading it.

woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:31 pm

Joernolav wrote:
woodenvisions wrote:Wow Joe, they DO look great !!

Don't worry about hijacking my thread. As I've said before. If my posts creates engagement I'm happy.

I'm happy your mother beat the cancer. Scary stuff in that age.

I also see that grandchildren gives a new dimension and new vitality to the grandparents. Our kids have been very active with both motocross, biathlon and enduro biking. On almost every competition, my parents have been there watching. The same when my wife ran half marathon downtown my parents were there cheering on her. My parents live only a 5 min. Drive from us and we can see their house from our house. When my kids need transportation or something during the day when I'm at work they call my parents, who never say no. I know the kids appreciate it and our the blue the oldest son just said he felt he couldn't ask my parents for sy much. He felt it wasn't enough with only thank you. I told him they love to give a helping hand when they're asked. I also told my parents about this, and they of course liked this.

I totally agree with you that we are blessed when we have such a great family relation. Hope it lasts for many years. My grandfather (father side) was 95 and my grandmother (mother side) was 97 so good Gene's on both sides.

Thanks for your post Woody, I really liked reading it.

sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:53 pm

Happy Belated Birthdays all around! :hb:
Moink!

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”