Pastrami

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:55 pm

Well anybody who argue with OSD on that Oak n Apple combo got to be crazy:) Now I wouldnt bother burning the Oak to coals. It cook like a little gentlemen to toss a chunk on the charcoal periodically. Make sure it has some bark on it. Bark is where the flavor is at in nearly all woods. If it burns skunky when you first add it..fan the lid a few times..or if you using a WSM just set off the barrell part and wait till it starts burning clean afore you set it back on there. That should work. I have got sorta addicted to Kingsford Mesquite flavor briquttes with a double handful of pee can shells about once an hour. Now that produces a fairly good flavor too. Otherwise if I had some good large caliber made in Mejico mesquie lump I use that and a little oak..a little apple etc. Touch of hickory every now and then:)

bigwheel

ps..Dont pee on the fire. That give it a little too much of a cook out type flavor. Just trying to cover all the bases here.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:33 pm

OK ready for the complex option here.......oak.
I don't have any apple.
tarde venientibus ossa....
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:20 pm

Bump for update Dats........
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:29 pm

Smoked 'em on Sunday using the WSM. Got a late start as I didn't get the WSM up to temp till 9:30AM. They stalled at 150*, even lost 5 degrees then one got to 165* at 11:30PM, the other was a little more stubborn and got took off a midnight. On Monday I sliced 'em both up. Good color, alot of bite from the bark (black pepper & coriander). Foodsavered them for the party on Sunday.

Too lazy to take pics before, during and after but I'll take pics at the party of the whole spread.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:10 pm

that sounds like my next project....sounds real good Dats, can't wait to see the sliced pics.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:13 pm

Ok DATs, tell the truth. :D How was that first sandwich?????? :D :D I couldn't have resisted at least trying a small one. :D
Jim
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:01 am

SteerCrazy wrote:that sounds like my next project....sounds real good Dats, can't wait to see the sliced pics.

I wasn't in charge of the photos at the party, so here the one of the pastrami that got made. Only half of it is on the tray, the other being held in reserve.... all of it was ate along with 5# of PP and some ribs.

There is one other photo in the link below showing the pastrami being set up. I used the foodsaver machine when I packaged it. I should have let it all get slightly frozen as it was a tad difficult to separate the slices without pulling them into many pieces.

A link to other photos of the party and musicians. Note, if you're on dial up, take a coffee break while the page loads. :shock:
http://www.ncre.biz/DATsBBQ/dat50/DAT50.html
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:27 am

That looks like a feast!
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:49 am

It was feast! Went through:
Over 7# of Pastrami,
Over 5# of Pulled Pork
2 1/5 racks of ribs
3 1/2# of Jarlsberg Cheese
2# of Busted Pintos
2# of Pasta Salad
4 loaves of mini rye breads, 32 hamburger buns
1/2 barrel of Mich plus .
A bunch of sides other folks brought including tator salad, regular salad, 2 jars of horse raddish, 2 jars of mustard, several bags of chips, 1 1/2 gallons of Microbrew plus several bottles of wine and 12 packs.
No food left over, no beer left over. I'd say it was a success :D
Deputy Dave

papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:05 pm

Looks like a great time Dave
The pastrami looks good too.
You never gave the final analysis, good , bad, too salty? What would you change?
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:33 pm

Papa Tom wrote:Looks like a great time Dave
The pastrami looks good too.
You never gave the final analysis, good , bad, too salty? What would you change?

It was very good. Sliced it at the #2 setting on the slicer, not too thick and not to skinny. The only thing I think I change is the amount of rub I put on it. I almost "caked" the rub on and on the fatty side it kinda got gooey in spots. Then again, I don't have a blast freezer so I may have put it in the fridge before it was at room temp :wink:

I used the WSM. Fireplace brinks in the water pan and no water in it so the bark never really got stiff.
Deputy Dave

bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:22 pm

Sounds like you outdid yourself on this one Dave. If all the food and beer is missing I would take it as a very good sign. Keep up the good work and might be you get nominated as an "honorary" Texican:)

bigwheel
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:35 am

bigwheel wrote:Sounds like you outdid yourself on this one Dave. If all the food and beer is missing I would take it as a very good sign. Keep up the good work and might be you get nominated as an "honorary" Texican:)

bigwheel

Since the Mrs did a tour at both Ft Hood and Ft Polk, guess I got a foot in the door already :lol:
Deputy Dave

bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:12 pm

Well that close enough for me. Give her a big thanks for her service to the Country. Will consider you both januine Texans from henceforth.
:wink:

bigwheel
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:02 am

bigwheel wrote:Well that close enough for me. Give her a big thanks for her service to the Country. Will consider you both januine Texans from henceforth.
:wink:

bigwheel

Watched The Alamo last night, the one with Billy Bob as Davy Crockett. Are we "januine Texians"? :wink:
Deputy Dave

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”