Pastrami

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:14 am

Think that would be 1 1/2 cups salt to 1 cup TQ. Black peppa and ground corriander is the propa rub to use prior to smoking as somebody else say.

bigwheel

DATsBBQ wrote:
bigwheel wrote:Brisket yes beef round no. The injector which comes with the cajun injections works purty good. I would boost the TQ to one cup and reduce the salt by the same ratio as the TQ gets increased. Somebody made some and say it come out splotchy looking. Suspect not enough cure or not a long enough soak. Sure the added TQ will cure the ailment.

bigwheel

If I double the TQ by 2 I should reduce the pickling salt by half, so I would end up with 1 cup pickling salt and 1 cup TQ if my math is right.
jack2u2 USER_AVATAR
JaCK2U2
Chuck Wagon

Postby JaCK2U2 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:01 pm

I'll just stand by and wait for a definative answer on the salt/TQ measurements, before I pull out a brisket to try this on!
Jack
Jr. C's BBQ
http://www.jrcsbbqandseasonings.com" target="_blank

Homemade upright drum smoker
Backwoods Party
GSW upright (now deceased)
nice gas grill
Weber 27" grill
Weber rotisserie
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:55 pm

Ok good luck:) There is a million recipes on Google.

bigwheel
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:52 pm

JaCK2U2 wrote:I'll just stand by and wait for a definative answer on the salt/TQ measurements, before I pull out a brisket to try this on!

Well Jack I think you should go for it. A standard brine contains one cup of salt per gallon of water (and sugar too if you are so inclined, I am). Try this using all TQ or in combination with table non iodized salt. If you are like most of us you will change your own recipe based on experience. I kinda like dry curing the brisket with Mortons Sugar Cure but that is more time consuming and a little more difficult to keep your pastrami from being too salty. It's getting hard to find Mortons SC anyway.

Now for wet cure I would use 3/4 cup TQ and 3/4 cup sugar per gallon along with the spices then rinse thoroughly before smoking but that's me.
tarde venientibus ossa....
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:09 pm

Seeing how Papa Tom was a MVP for Pastrami & Bigwheel's rep stands on its own I inclined to take their advice. Bought an Injector today just for this project. More on that later.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:59 pm

Turns out that BB&B didn't have the injector I wan't in stock so I bought the next one down. It has two needles, the large looks like it would be too big to be useful unless I find I need to give shots to horses :roll:
Off to Costco tomorrow with a cooler for the monthly shopping run. Maybe I can find a couple of Flats that would suite themselves to Pastrami :D
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:55 am

Dang whut a utensil you got there. I'm highly jealous. Congrats.

bigwheel
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:22 pm

Papa Tom wrote:
JaCK2U2 wrote:I'll just stand by and wait for a definative answer on the salt/TQ measurements, before I pull out a brisket to try this on!

Now for wet cure I would use 3/4 cup TQ and 3/4 cup sugar per gallon along with the spices then rinse thoroughly before smoking but that's me.

So, to adjust the recipe for 2 gallons of pickle, use 1 1/2 cup TQ, delete the salt and use 1 1/2 cup sugar plus all the other spices and then after 4 - 5 days rinse and then rub with 3 parts black pepper and 2 parts corriander? Smoke to 165*?
Deputy Dave

papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:53 pm

Yep actually it will probably table in that 160* region so if you have a remote just let it cook until the temp starts to rise again. Not critical on the upside.
And actually I don't measure the rub I just pack on all the coarse pepper and coriander the thing will hold.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:57 pm

Well it will either happen tonight to tomorrow depending upon what the weather forecast is at 5PM. The Mrs really wants to go to the folk festival tomorrow.
Deputy Dave

papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:03 pm

Talking about the upside temp a year ago I left a pastrami on the pellet machine for about 8 hr while I was off partying and it was fine I didn't check the internal but I bet it made at least 180* a little dry but good.
Don't be afraid to just rinse the heck out of it when it comes out of the brine, even a soak in fresh water is OK.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:17 pm

Should the brine be heated to a boil then chilled or is room temp and then chilled ok?

Sorry for all the questions but this is the first injection project for me. When I use TQ in the past, it was mixed with ground meat so no pickle.
Deputy Dave

papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:39 pm

No need to heat the brine but I usually (but not always) take a small bowl and nuke heat the spices to make a "tea" before adding it to the brine since the cold water doesn't bring the flavor out well.
I use ice as part of the water when making the brine to bring the temp down. If ya look back I did a brining/smoking a chicken slide show in a post once that shows this.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:02 pm

Thanks, Don't think I'll boil but will at least warm. I find sugar dissolves better that way. :D
Deputy Dave

bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:06 pm

Sorta but not quite. You want to sub out some of the salt for TQ not all of it. Try 1 cup of TQ and 1 cup of pickling salt in conjunctiion with two cups of brown sugar. Should work just fine and not need rinsing. Now this be for a two gallon batch of brine. I like to cook it till the temp peaks out and don't seem to want to go any higher. Happens around 175-180 or so. Once it peaks out continuing to cook just dry it out like Papa say.

bigwheel

DATsBBQ wrote:
Papa Tom wrote:

So, to adjust the recipe for 2 gallons of pickle, use 1 1/2 cup TQ, delete the salt and use 1 1/2 cup sugar plus all the other spices and then after 4 - 5 days rinse and then rub with 3 parts black pepper and 2 parts corriander? Smoke to 165*?

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”