Old Time meat canning

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Old Time meat canning

Postby Rambo » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:49 pm

I thought of CP when I saw this. it is out of an old Cookbook of the Rocky Hill Baptist Church, Angelina County, Texas. It has all kinds of old recipes for canning, Lye Soap, how to render lard on hog kill'n day, etc.
Attachments
Meat story.jpg
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Old Time meat canning

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:22 pm

Very Cool, I'd like to browse that Book :tup: :salut: :cheers:

Reminds me of a story from my childhood:
When I was very young we lived in the Panhandle of Texas in the Pakan (sp) Community and Mom and Dad had some friends that we'd go visit on Sunday sometime. Anyhow they had a cellar, as most everyone did, and they kept their can goods/etc down there. One year their Dairy Cow got ran over and rather than lose the entire animal, they decided to cut it up and "pickle" the meat. Anyhow they put the meat in a very very large crock container with a lid and one day the man, my Dad and I were down in the cellar while he told the story and he reached into the big container that smelled like pickles and pulled out some of that Pickled Dairy Cow. :shock: We all had a piece and no one spit theirs out or threw up, however, later my Dad told me that his friend had told him that after several months they decided to dispose of the stuff because "it had worn out it's welcome" He said it got to where the longer he chewed it the bigger it got. :laughing7: :lol: :D
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:27 pm

Interesting story. I'll see if I can find you one of the books. Will probably have to contact the church
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:33 pm

thanks, let me know if I need to send you some money :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:13 am

This is the stuff that really peaks my attention. I just LOVE oldschool methods of preservation. I mean, it worked at one point in time! The largest real setback we face is that food nowadays differs from 150+ years ago. Produce and animals now is not what it was then through generations and generations of cross-breeding. Closest we can probably get to that time in age is through wild game. :(
(Insert witty signature here)
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:03 pm

Txdragon wrote:This is the stuff that really peaks my attention. I just LOVE oldschool methods of preservation. I mean, it worked at one point in time! The largest real setback we face is that food nowadays differs from 150+ years ago. Produce and animals now is not what it was then through generations and generations of cross-breeding. Closest we can probably get to that time in age is through wild game. :(

So true: my 89 year old FIL went to the Odell Creek Bottom this past week and picked 2 5gallon buckets of Muscadines. 87 year old MIL is making Jelly :cheers:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:46 pm

My Ex and I had a mini - Ranch in Cleveland, Texas and the back wooded pasture was covered in Muscadines. Back in the days, the Grandaughter and I would pick lots and lots of them along with Dew Berries along the fence lines and RR Track (yum yum). I would make Jelly and have snuck in a crock or two of wine also but just for fun because I've never been a wine lover.

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”