Venison Pastrami

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

chillzforeal USER_AVATAR
chillzforeal
Pilgrim

Re: Venison Pastrami

Postby chillzforeal » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:48 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Back in my early Bambi Bustin days my family saved and ate the heart and liver but we out grew it pretty quick also :whiteflag:

As a matter of fact, later in my Venison Harvesting days we would just hang, skin and quarter the deer also removing the neck roast but leaving the carcass in tact. When the meat was in the cooler, the horns or necessary identification parts were stashed away and the carcus with innards inside was hauled to a chosen dump location. When you have the opportunity to get them hung and dressed soon after the kill, you'd be surprised how great and clean this works.

"Think About It" - - if you don't field dress them then none of that "unwanted stuff" will get on your good meat during processing. :dont: :salut: :cheers:

No Hi-Jack Intended, sorry Sir Chillz.

No worries at all!! I enjoy the conversation. On our ranch here in Texas that is exactly how I clean my deer. I shot this deer on a Wisconsin bow hunt and I chose to hang it for a few days (field dressed but not skinned) to let it age since the weather there allows it. I like to experiment so I figured I'd give it a shot, this is the only heart i've kept so far. I'm going on a archery elk hunt in Idaho in September for my first hunt of the year and hopefully i'll be getting an elk heart as well. If I can't figure out a way to make them to where I enjoy it, i'll be back in the same camp as you fellows. Liver is a defnite hard pass.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: Venison Pastrami

Postby Txdragon » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:52 am

Woah.. can't believe I missed this. I most certainly approve!! I am going to have to try it as well. :cheers:
(Insert witty signature here)

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”