Aging bacon

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Aging bacon

Postby Copasspupil » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:59 pm

I usually do a flavored mix and spread it on the belly and flip every day for 7 days and it comes out well. I’ve been reading where other with weigh the belly and look for a 30% drop in weight before considering it done. Some hang it and others don’t. What are ways you have done to get a special slab of bacon?? I’m going to try pancetta on this batch I’m going to start today smoked vs no smoke.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Aging bacon

Postby Rambo » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:00 pm

Paging Donkey
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:44 pm

No smoke is good but just doesn't scream bacon for me. I like to keep it simple and original. Salt, pepper, smoke, cure (for color).
Aged is nice if you have room. About 30 days REALLY makes it sing.
(Insert witty signature here)
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:32 am

Txdragon wrote:No smoke is good but just doesn't scream bacon for me. I like to keep it simple and original. Salt, pepper, smoke, cure (for color).

When you say 30 days, I'm assuming you are talking about hanging it for 30 days after the curing process and rinsed off. Correct? The last batch I did looked like the fat was way more prominent on the belly. I wanted to trim it up a bit before the curing process took place, but I didn't. Ever trimmed up a belly then completed the process? As far as pepper is concerned, a good amount like brisket? Different pepper types in it as well? I enjoy a well rounded peppery flavor on mine. Black, white and jalapeño grind specifically. Do you use the bacon hangers also?

I'm good with a 30 day dry aging for them. I want to do the pancetta that way to see what and how it reacts to it actually.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:41 am

Copasspupil wrote:
Txdragon wrote:No smoke is good but just doesn't scream bacon for me. I like to keep it simple and original. Salt, pepper, smoke, cure (for color).

When you say 30 days, I'm assuming you are talking about hanging it for 30 days after the curing process and rinsed off. Correct? The last batch I did looked like the fat was way more prominent on the belly. I wanted to trim it up a bit before the curing process took place, but I didn't. Ever trimmed up a belly then completed the process? As far as pepper is concerned, a good amount like brisket? Different pepper types in it as well? I enjoy a well rounded peppery flavor on mine. Black, white and jalapeño grind specifically. Do you use the bacon hangers also?

I'm good with a 30 day dry aging for them. I want to do the pancetta that way to see what and how it reacts to it actually.

I've aged it both ways; after cure and cure time. Hanging after the cure makes for some stout stuff, like aged ham. Really strong flavors. Cure length of 30 days requires good salt balance or it'll be too harsh when it's done. Also helps if the belly slab is large enough to hold up to that length of time. Adjust timing accordingly! The ones I did for this were pret-ty large - 16 lbs on one, 18 on the other.
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:12 am

The two slab I have currently are 10.25-10.32 each. One is uniformly the same thickness across where the other is thicker in parts. Do you ever soak yours? I've read to soak from 8-24 hours on them if too salty. My biggest complaint from the misses is that it is too salty. Her 4 minions follow suit too. I've considered using the EQ method with these to see if it makes a difference and closes up the complaint booth. Personally, I find it slightly salty but not overbearing.
Last edited by Copasspupil on Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:59 pm

Oh sure I've soaked them before. My regular pork cure method includes a sugar bath. I dry cure first, then soak in the sugar bath; roughly a day/lb.
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:59 pm

So say 5 lbs then you’d give a sugar water bath for 5 days??
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:54 am

I finished the curing. Now throwing these back in the cooler to get the skin before rolling them up, tieing and hanging them for 30 days.
Attachments
0B3905B8-6F4F-4983-943C-006C95B3D74C.jpeg
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:20 am

Oh dangit.. I hadn't seen this in a while. Been super busy the last couple weeks. Yes, 5 lbs, 5 days. Then age em up! The longer, the better. 30 days is pretty good for bacon. The length of time not only adds to the flavor, it helps with longevity. I have found my aged bacon lasts 50% longer than my "fresh" bacon.
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Mon May 20, 2019 12:42 pm

TxDragon,
I have 2 pork shoulders which I am making from buckboard or cottage bacon and it is 3-4" thick. If I flip them every day and knowing you are curing 1/4" per day. My thought was to curing it for 18 days due to the thickness plus a few days to be conservative then air dry it for another week to get and little sweeter. Does this makes sense?

I've using the EQ method again.

Danno
Danno

'66 GT350S clone

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”