Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Re: Homegrown ham!

Postby egghead » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:44 pm

Sounds amazing
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:28 am

following watching with anticipation :happ:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:47 am

This is interesting. Looking forward to seeing the result.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:18 am

Entering the dragon. Well played thus far. I can’t wait for the next pic and info on what you’re doing to it. So interesting to me.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:29 am

TwoGuysBBQ wrote:Wow, that’s cool, Good luck with it. You definitely have more patience than I do.
Love me some ham

X2 on this post. Can't wait till March to see how it turns out. :salut: :salut: :texas:

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:29 am

Everyone is going to hate me. I did not get pictures of the finished product. I'll say it looked like ham, only darker. The pink had more red to it. Finished weight was just over 9lbs. Smoked with cherry and lump, fought like a comanche to keep temps below 200 all.. day.. long.. Temps avg between 180 and 215. I kept it as far away from the fire box as possible as well.
The flavor was INTENSE!! Like a good aged steak. It was firm, though not dry. This gave all indications of what a country ham should be. I still have 2 Hinds in the freezer and will be thawing the next one very soon to begin a longer process. I wanna take this baby to 60 days.
(Insert witty signature here)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:00 am

Txdragon wrote:Everyone is going to hate me. I did not get pictures of the finished product.

Nawwww, we understand perfectly and we realized that
things like this happen when you're a busy Man.
:dont:
Git a Rope.jpg.jpg
Git a Rope.jpg.jpg (8.07 KiB) Viewed 3685 times
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:21 am

I had an old girlfriend like that; strung me along for months, always in the dark; wouldn’t let me see it
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:42 am

Hahahaha!! I'm truly sorry fellas. What's even worse is that it was DEMOLISHED. You'd swear it was swarmed by piranhas. Lol!
I needed a break for a day as it has been doctors and such for the last couple weeks. I have another round of knee surgeries coming up so the surgeon wants clearances from everybody. Sigh.. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't live an hour and change away from all those lab coats.. My final consultation comes up Tuesday and we should be getting the day scheduled then. This comes at a horrible time because I still have to put my engine back together. Won't have the rest of my parts til around the 1st (most of them custom exhaust) so it's all fabbed for a perfect fit.
Anywho.. I'll be recovering from the first one during that time and the second surgery will be about 4-6 weeks after. Sigh..
Leaves me little time to iron out the wrinkles and tune for this race season.. I love a good challenge though!!
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:50 am

Dang, hate to hear that. I hope everything goes well
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:46 am

Ouch, Chef Sir, knees and ankle probs can be a PITA - - - you take care of your parts first and the engine parts later OK ? :salut:

My Oldest just finished a bout and orthopedic surgery from a torn meniscus and is doing great so hopefully yours will do likewaise. :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:24 pm

Sorry to hear that. Hope you get well soon.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:57 pm

Tx
What is the engine for? Closet wrench turner.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:29 am

Copasspupil wrote:Tx
What is the engine for? Closet wrench turner.

20190130_094213.jpg

20190130_120723.jpg

Don't laugh because it's a Honda. Before this round of updates, there were several SRT-8 Challengers and Z06 Corvettes that made that mistake!

I've lowered engine compression by 1.5 points over what it was to run a bit more boost. I've also revamped my fuel system to handle >600 horses. 2200lb car at 480whp is no joke. Lol!
Have also reworked the head entirely. Nothing too fancy, just new valvetrain to rev a bit higher, new valves and cam. My new powerband should take me to 8k PRM without an issue. Put together with a higher flowing turbo than my last; last one was around 350CFM, new one nearly doubled that. Its efficiency range is also right on par with my last one, just goes a bit higher.. Old unit 15-22 psi, new one 15-30psi. I'm expecting my only drawback to be fuel. I don't have E85 anywhere near me and race fuel would have to be ordered by the 55 gallon drum. I don't have THAT kinda cash. Lol! I should be able to tune it to about 475-490whp on pump 93, and with E85, I should easily break 500.

Anywho. I'm getting this puppy ready for the 1/4 mile. I live MUCH closer to a track that's got some good events for street classes and after looking over their last few season's competitors, there are NO imports.
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:51 am

if you have the right valves, go to your local airport or get you an overhead tank and have a fuel supplier, deliver 100 octane low lead avgas for you. Back in the day I had my own plane, and storage tank av gas today probably about $5 a gallon my guess, but your engine should do just fine if the valves and seats are hard faced. Just my $.02 :roll:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”