Help/ Opinions on Grinder, Sausage

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: Help/ Opinions on Grinder, Sausage

Postby Papa Tom » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:37 pm

Something else just occurred to me this goes under the heading of Bad Advice Given"
I have seen many recipes and books that say to let the meat mixture rest in the fridge after adding the spices and cure......DON"T DO THIS.
They say it is to give time for the curing salt to do it's job which kind makes sense but they do not take into consideration the binding.
Binding is very important in sausage making it is primarily the result of a protein (actomyosin) that will go into solution in the presence of salt but will rebind in time.
If you put the mix in a pan or bowl and let it set you will have a bound chunk of meat that will probably have to be reground thus blowing the whole binding process.
After you stuff the sausage the meat should have plenty of time to cure before smoking or cooking you can actually give it all the time you want @ temps about 40°F. (typical refrigerator temp)

One more thing under the same heading:
If you are going to smoke your sausage YOU MUST ADD CURE. Smoking gives plenty of time between 40° and 140°F for bacterial growth curing prevents that especially botulism.
tarde venientibus ossa....
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:26 am

Thanks PT. Sounds like I did a lot of mine correctly. It would be nice to have a walk- in cooler you could set at 39 degrees if you were going to get into this. I'm going to take your advice on the cure; the Butcher at the meat market told me to only use the quarter teaspoon of cure; he acted like too much would make you sick. Live and learn; again, thanks to all who advised on this batch
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:28 pm

Rambo wrote:Thanks PT. Sounds like I did a lot of mine correctly. It would be nice to have a walk- in cooler you could set at 39 degrees if you were going to get into this. I'm going to take your advice on the cure; the Butcher at the meat market told me to only use the quarter teaspoon of cure; he acted like too much would make you sick. Live and learn; again, thanks to all who advised on this batch

Had one of those, sold it. Also necessary if you want to ferment sausage.
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:45 pm

Papa Tom wrote:Something else just occurred to me this goes under the heading of Bad Advice Given"
I have seen many recipes and books that say to let the meat mixture rest in the fridge after adding the spices and cure......DON"T DO THIS.
They say it is to give time for the curing salt to do it's job which kind makes sense but they do not take into consideration the binding.
Binding is very important in sausage making

I have to bring this out, because it is a method I am guilty of using, I have always mixed in the seasoning some water and set the whole bowl in the fridge for overnight.
I do not add the binder(for reasons mentioned in another post, lactose intolerance on the wife's side) since I consider myself always learning... the question comes about mixing the spices in and allowing them to blend, the books I have read encourage the set aside process, if I cease this, How do we mix in the seasoning? I normally will cut up a pork butt and have the grinder head in the freezer, then place the big hunks of meat in the freezer for an hour or so, then remove and sprinkle the seasoning on the meat and grind, and place back in the fridge for a few hours maybe overnight. The next day I induce or mix in enough cold water to get the meat to the stuff able consistency, then stuff and allow to dry for half an hour or so in the fridge, then (depending on the style) I will cold smoke or package and freeze...
So correct me and my process, give my your thoughts and process? I dont have a lot of free time to work on sausage making but it is something I want to pursue :happ:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:09 pm

From another thread:

Re: My First Sausage
Postby Papa Tom » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:00 pm

Just .02 here.
I have nothing against additional ingredients including binders but they are not needed to make fine sausage.
Milk solids are a good addition if you want to make low fat sausage where they are added as a fat replacement for some of the fat. Milk solids can be added up to 1% by weight (that's more than you think because the stuff is light) to improve the texture in the absence of fat. Since the milk solids are almost totally protein they are a nutritionally good substitute.

Here are the tricks to good binding without additives.
1) After adding the spice mix and salts mix the meat thoroughly it will become very sticky trying to pull your rubber gloves off this is the indication the actomyosin has gone into solution now is the time to stuff or form patties or logs etc.
2) DO NOT OVERCOOK when the proteins reach about 170°F they will contract squeezing out the moisture and fat leaving a grainy dry texture. I know you all have experienced this but blamed the sausage not the cook.

The proper way to cook a bratwurst is to plop it into simmering water (NOT BOILING) until it plumps and cooks to about 150°F then sear quickly over very hot coals or in a hot fry pan just to brown the skin do not go so long that the case splits and spills the goodness.
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:19 pm

thanks for the input, I will order some casings and give this another try.... I use a word doc to document my methods, seasoning, and process both cooking and processing, I also document the taste and texture so that I can hopefully improve just one thing at a time. This process has been a slow painful one but a sure way to get down the road with positive results. I also add pictures to the document for visual reference.--Thanks!
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:31 pm

The best way to cook a brat is to cook it in beer, not water. Then grill or pan cook it. Then it goes into a different pool of beer that houses the onions and peppers. That is on the grill staying warm. Then into a freah bollio roll.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:15 pm

GRailsback wrote:The best way to cook a brat is to cook it in beer, not water. Then grill or pan cook it. Then it goes into a different pool of beer that houses the onions and peppers. That is on the grill staying warm. Then into a freah bollio roll.

Hear, Hear!! :cheers:
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:21 pm

I have done them both ways, just hate to waste the beer!!! :drunk:
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100