Meat SLicers Which One?

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

HillCountryKid
Wrangler

Meat SLicers Which One?

Postby HillCountryKid » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:05 am

Looking at buying a new meat slicer? We do a lot of bacon, cheese, and hams. What do you recommend?
Thanks
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Re: Meat SLicers Which One?

Postby ChileFarmer » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:04 am

I have a 10", what ever you get make sure it is at least 12". You won't be sorry. Check out your used restaurant supply. I would rather have a name brand used than a new one from china.CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:21 pm

Depends on how big your wallet is. You can spend $7,000+ for a slicer. Globe, Hobart, and Berkel are usually considered the top three. I have the Berkel 827A-PLUS 12". I absolutely agree with ChileFarmer. Get a 12".

Cheese is your nemesis. Most entry level slicers say no cheese slicing. You need to get up to the mid-tier level. You can save quite a bit of money going with an Avantco SL512 12", about half the price of a Berkel, and it is a solid slicer.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
HillCountryKid
Wrangler

Postby HillCountryKid » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:41 am

Thanks guys, going to check the local used restaurant supply. I like the look of this one Okie Avantco SL512 12, man that is a lot of money. What I have come to the conclusion is that meat slicers and most things you get what you pay for. We do about 100lbs of bacon a year, and lots of hams and deli meats. We had a small china slicers and could not handel it.

Thanks
clnserviceatlanta
Pilgrim

Postby clnserviceatlanta » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:05 am

I also needed a slicer, because after every use of mine, everything was sliced very ugly. So I followed your advice and bought Avantco SL512 12". I can say that it is worth every penny!
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:20 am

clnserviceatlanta wrote:I also needed a slicer, because after every use of mine, everything was sliced very ugly. So I followed your advice and bought Avantco SL512 12". I can say that it is worth every penny!

It is a great slicer for the money. Glad you're happy with it. :cheers:
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
rexster314 USER_AVATAR
rexster314
Rustler

Postby rexster314 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:29 pm

For people still looking, I was in the same jam a couple of years ago. I had an MTN 10" that just wasn't up to the task of slicing my bacon correctly. The carriage was too small for the bacon I was doing.
I began checking out Craigslist and about a month later found a used Hobart 1612 slicer that was made in the 70's. For $150 drive out. It was in fairly decent condition but the gauge plate was frozen which happens a lot to these slicers. People use Pam for lubricants and sooner or later the stuff dries to a hard plastic substance. I had to use my propane torch and a dead blow rubber hammer to free up the guide rods. After cleaning everything and sanitizing everything it works like a champ. It even still had the original sharpener. About 90 pounds of cast aluminum, but it's not going anywhere.
Weber EX6 Smokefire
Masterbuilt 1050 GF
Masterbuilt 560 GF
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
KitchenAid 8 burner 88,000 btu Gasser
Masterbuilt 40" Sportsman Elite gasser
2 MES 40" smokers
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer
micheleberilli
Pilgrim

Postby micheleberilli » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:25 am

If you slice meat, deli and cheese every day in great quantity, I strongly suggest you to buy a professional machine. I work in a grocery with a meat slicer form an Italian brand called Manconi (I can't find my model on their website, but it's similar to this one: https://www.manconi.com/en/slicers/line ... vk-bv-dual). I think this kind of slicers - not necessarily Manconi' ones, but professional models like Hobart's, Berkel's etc... are the best if you have to slice stuff on a daily basis. Cheaper machines tend to wear over time and rapidly lose their precision, smoothness and quality, until you have to get rid of them. On the other hand, professional slicers could last for years. Good luck!
FirstSpringFlower
Pilgrim

Postby FirstSpringFlower » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:06 am

I'm a big fan of the OSTBA Meat Slicer! Just compare it with other similar slicers: https://www.justinscafe.com/best-meat-slicer/ First off, the price is beyond reasonable. If you need super thin meat or cheese, this is absolutely the way to go. I like to make dried fruits and usually take a lot of time and effort into slicing thin even slices. This machine is a lot quicker and easier to use than a knife. It has different thickness options for the slices and is able to cut very thin slices. This slicer is perfect for our needs.

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”