Fresh All Beef Hot Gut Sausage

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jmcrig USER_AVATAR
jmcrig
Bandolero

Fresh All Beef Hot Gut Sausage

Postby jmcrig » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:21 pm

Since a good Hot Gut recipe is hard to come by, thought I'd just create my own. Here are some pictures of my first batch. Very happy with it thus far. It was too salty, but that's an easy fix.

Stuffed and ready for the smoker

Out of the smoker

The moment of truth 1

The moment of truth 2
Mark Crigler
atcnick USER_AVATAR
atcNick
Outlaw

Re: Fresh All Beef Hot Gut Sausage

Postby atcNick » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:52 am

Looks great!
-Nick

Custom R&O Offset
Lang 84D w/Chargriller SOLD
Weber Performer
22" Weber One Touch Gold Kettle
18" Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Smokey Joe
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:07 am

Mark, nice sausage. Your right about a good hot link recipe hard to find. I have tried several, like you I may just have to go on my own. Dang those look mighty fine. CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
jmcrig USER_AVATAR
jmcrig
Bandolero

Postby jmcrig » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:00 am

ChileFarmer wrote:Mark, nice sausage. Your right about a good hot link recipe hard to find. I have tried several, like you I may just have to go on my own. Dang those look mighty fine. CF :D

Bill, remember to "Keep It Simple". We'll chat more later.
Mark Crigler
atcnick USER_AVATAR
atcNick
Outlaw

Postby atcNick » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:45 pm

Care to share the recipe?
-Nick

Custom R&O Offset
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Joe
jmcrig USER_AVATAR
jmcrig
Bandolero

Postby jmcrig » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:14 am

atcNick wrote:Care to share the recipe?

Not ready to put the recipe out there yet. It's still not ready. Probably do the 2nd batch today. First run was too salty.
I will say, if you start researching the roots of Texas Hill Country Sausage, you'll find the basics of what Texas Hot Guts are about. Remembering to keep the process simple, and build to your taste. 8)
Mark Crigler
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:55 pm

I have a recipe I'm working on, are you using all beef?
the one I am working on is 85/15 ground beef with a pound of ground pork in 4 pounds of ground beef, like you i'm working on getting it right, so far 2 tablespoons of tender quick work in 5 pounds of meat, a table spoon of cracked black pepper and a teaspoon of cayenne. Fairly simple, going to try adding some paprika to the next batch but I suppose this is how a recipe gets worked up? through trial and error :dont: this is just something to work from not a finished product so its info only...
Mark curious to see your thoughts and thanks for any opinion...
how long are you letting it dry before smoking?
I have to learn to tie, also get the length right every time :mrgreen:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
jmcrig USER_AVATAR
jmcrig
Bandolero

Postby jmcrig » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:01 am

spacetrucker wrote:I have a recipe I'm working on, are you using all beef?
the one I am working on is 85/15 ground beef with a pound of ground pork in 4 pounds of ground beef, like you i'm working on getting it right, so far 2 tablespoons of tender quick work in 5 pounds of meat, a table spoon of cracked black pepper and a teaspoon of cayenne. Fairly simple, going to try adding some paprika to the next batch but I suppose this is how a recipe gets worked up? through trial and error :dont: this is just something to work from not a finished product so its info only...
Mark curious to see your thoughts and thanks for any opinion...
how long are you letting it dry before smoking?
I have to learn to tie, also get the length right every time :mrgreen:

What I'm working on right now are concidered fresh sausages. I'm using no cure at all. These sausages are meant to be cooked above 200 degrees in your pit along with the brisket and pork.
The sausages I'm working with now, get like one change a week(I have a paying job). It may take 2 months for me to get exactly what I want in this sausage. So, patience is a must, and remember to keep things simple. Looking back at the roots of Texas sausage, most of the sausage makers used salt, pepper, and the one or spices that came with their heritage.
As far as letting them dry after stuffing. I will let them hang over the kitchen sink with a fan on them for several hours. I will then move them to the refrigerator and keep overnight uncovered.
Your stuffing and links, it will come with time.
Mark Crigler
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:20 am

thanks for the feed back,
I too have a job that pays the bills and it isn't cooking...
I really like the sausage concepts and doing my best to learn it including lot of reading.
Lochart Texas is just down the road and the sausage they sell and cook is one of the "recipes" I am hoping to achieve. We really like the way it tastes.
I have made "fresh sausage" on a couple of occasions and the taste difference is extensive between fresh and cured.
The sausage making for me has been a long and bumpy road, my first and biggest mistake was buying a cheap grinder and stuffer, neither worked very well and only added to the over all frustration of the project.
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
atcnick USER_AVATAR
atcNick
Outlaw

Postby atcNick » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:11 pm

spacetrucker wrote:thanks for the feed back,
I really like the sausage concepts and doing my best to learn it including lot of reading.
Lochart Texas is just down the road and the sausage they sell and cook is one of the "recipes" I am hoping to achieve. We really like the way it tastes.
I have made "fresh sausage" on a couple of occasions and the taste difference is extensive between fresh and cured.
The sausage making for me has been a long and bumpy road, my first and biggest mistake was buying a cheap grinder and stuffer, neither worked very well and only added to the over all frustration of the project.

Is the beef sausage found in lockhart cured or uncured?
-Nick

Custom R&O Offset
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Joe
jmcrig USER_AVATAR
jmcrig
Bandolero

Postby jmcrig » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:55 pm

atcNick wrote:
spacetrucker wrote:thanks for the feed back,

Is the beef sausage found in lockhart cured or uncured?

I can't say for sure, but after going to Black's and talking with them, I'd say no. There is no reason to cure it as they cook it in their pit. They didn't tell what temperature their pit cooked at, but I'm guessing between 225 & 275. Probably to the lower end of that spread. Hope this helps.
Mark Crigler
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:34 pm

jm-- what are your reasons to cure or not to cure? I can understand if you don't want to make a statement about to cure or not to cure, it seems to be a hot subject, for me and the reading I have done thus far most recommend a cure to prevent bacteria growth due to the time spent between 40 and 140 degrees as this is supposed to be the prime bacteria multiplication temps. Most of, ok; all of the meat I use is store bought, hunting is to expensive for me so the store bought ground meat is all cured then smoked and cooked, after which it is cooled and vac-packed then to the freezer.
The only sausage I do not cure is the meat I grind myself, ie breakfast sausage, made from a pork butt, other sausage made from meat I grind myself, before grinding the meat is in the freezer for about 30 to 45 minutes along with the grinder head (#22) the grind is quick 5 or 10 minutes, usually apply seasoning prior to grinding.
Please feel free to tell me about when and why you 'cure' or not?
Thanks
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
atcnick USER_AVATAR
atcNick
Outlaw

Postby atcNick » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:25 am

spacetrucker wrote:jm-- what are your reasons to cure or not to cure? I can understand if you don't want to make a statement about to cure or not to cure, it seems to be a hot subject, for me and the reading I have done thus far most recommend a cure to prevent bacteria growth due to the time spent between 40 and 140 degrees as this is supposed to be the prime bacteria multiplication temps. Most of, ok; all of the meat I use is store bought, hunting is to expensive for me so the store bought ground meat is all cured then smoked and cooked, after which it is cooled and vac-packed then to the freezer.
The only sausage I do not cure is the meat I grind myself, ie breakfast sausage, made from a pork butt, other sausage made from meat I grind myself, before grinding the meat is in the freezer for about 30 to 45 minutes along with the grinder head (#22) the grind is quick 5 or 10 minutes, usually apply seasoning prior to grinding.
Thanks

It's just like you said. If the meat stays in the danger zone of 40-140 for too long you take a risk without cure. But the reason I ask about cure in the recipe is the taste and texture of the finished product. That pink color you get in some sausage, ham, deli meats.... That's from the cure.

I would cure all meat that you plan on keeping in the danger zone too long regardless if store bought or not, you ground or not.
-Nick

Custom R&O Offset
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Joe
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:27 pm

atcNick wrote:
spacetrucker wrote:jm-- what are your reasons to cure or not to cure? I can understand if you don't want to make a statement about to cure or not to cure, it seems to be a hot subject, for me and the reading I have done thus far most recommend a cure to prevent bacteria growth due to the time spent between 40 and 140 degrees as this is supposed to be the prime bacteria multiplication temps. Most of, ok; all of the meat I use is store bought, hunting is to expensive for me so the store bought ground meat is all cured then smoked and cooked, after which it is cooled and vac-packed then to the freezer.
Thanks

It's just like you said. If the meat stays in the danger zone of 40-140 for too long you take a risk without cure. But the reason I ask about cure in the recipe is the taste and texture of the finished product. That pink color you get in some sausage, ham, deli meats.... That's from the cure.

I would cure all meat that you plan on keeping in the danger zone too long regardless if store bought or not, you ground or not.

Best answer, I do the same. Fresh I freeze or use within couple days. Smoked always use cure #1. CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:49 am

ok guys gotta ask i'm trying to learn; so lots of silly questions...
I have some pink salt aka cure #1
but thus far have always used tender quick never the pink salt I have read about the formulas and the part per million usage of the cures, and tenderquick is less potent than pink salt as a cure. So do we use pink salt to cure the meat with out adding the salt is that its purpose? curious about this one... JM sorry for hijacking your thread
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”