Casing question ?

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Bigunsbbq
Rustler

Casing question ?

Postby Bigunsbbq » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:48 pm

Bought me one of them grinders from academy with a sausage attachment ground a lot deer meat but want to make my own sausage are those casings by Lem any count I think that's the correct name . Deer season in a couple weeks want to have all my ducks in a row !
atcnick USER_AVATAR
atcNick
Outlaw

Casing question ?

Postby atcNick » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:50 pm

I've had some good and some really bad. I won't buy those anymore. Butcher packer, sausage maker, and allied kenco sell good quality casings. They all have websites to order from

-Nick
-Nick

Custom R&O Offset
Lang 84D w/Chargriller SOLD
Weber Performer
22" Weber One Touch Gold Kettle
18" Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Smokey Joe
jarhead USER_AVATAR
Jarhead
Bandolero

Re: Casing question ?

Postby Jarhead » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:28 am

Bigun, what kind of sausage are you making?
Snack sticks should be no bigger than 22 mm and made of collagen or sheep
Links, 32-35 mm and hog.
Summer Sausage 2-1/2 to 3" fibrous or collagen.
Bulk pack, wild game meat bags either 1 or 2 pounds.
If you don't have a stuffer, then it is wise to get one before you tackle this.
Also if you are making snack sticks, you will need to get a smaller stuffing horn. I think mine is a 19 mm stainless straight tube.
I use Butcher and Packer mostly. Sausage Maker carries some of the weird sizes that I need occasionally.
Make sure you order some Cure #1, cause it's hard to find. Maybe a binder too, for the sticks.
"Gunny"
FEC-100, WSM 22.5, WSM 18.5, 3-UDS's and a NB Bandera
Owner/Pitmaster "Debbie's Que Shack"
KCBS CBJ
Jarhead's World on the 26 inch Kettle
Double RR
Pilgrim

Postby Double RR » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:43 pm

hey bigun i have used lem with no problems there are many different casings for types of sausage you are making just like jarhead said you will pay alot more at a retailer like acadamy -cabelas-bass pro ,thanks to this fourm i recently found butcher packer good quality and great price atcnick mentioned some good sources , butcher packer has some all inclusive kits seasoning -cure-casings at good prices or you can order spices-cure casings seperatly there i get some casings from waltonsinc.com i just ordered from lem-butcher packer and waltons getting ready for deer season all were great to deal with i will not buy retail if i can keep from it good luck.
Bigunsbbq
Rustler

Postby Bigunsbbq » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:50 pm

Gunny, we like German sausage ,summer sausage ,and the snack sticks . Want to make a lot of the german type , you can heat them up on the grill some Mac and cheese and bushes beans got a easy quick meal and sweet cor :D n bread. The grinder I have has the sausage attachment with it and I believe 3 horns . Going to order casings next week . On the hunt for some good seasoning ? !
Bigun
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:11 pm

I use LEM casings for all my sausage and have no real complaints so far. Price is a taaaad steep, but I buy them from Bass Pro Shop. About 9.99 for a package of 32-35mm, good for 25 lbs of sausage.
Just tried the collagen casings and those are good for hotdog-like sausages. They stuff totally straight.. No curve at all.

The straight ones are the collagen casings, the others are the LEM natural hog casing. Have fun!
(Insert witty signature here)
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Casing question ?

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:25 pm

Allied Kenco has everything you need for any kind of sausage making. All there stuff is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sr_Egor
Pilgrim

Postby Sr_Egor » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:06 pm

I just made my first batch of sausage. I bought a package of LEM 32-35 from BPS. I found a few holes in a couple as i was rinsing the insides. Not too big of a deal. I just cut at hole and had 2 shorter casings. Holes were far enough apart that i could still get 1/3 to 1/2 pound rings, which is what i wanted. Also had a few split, most likely due to user error.
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Postby Stan41 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:36 pm

I have used 2 different sizes of LEM's edible collagen casings. No trouble with either size.
Stan
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”