Sausage Making for Beginners

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jordanj USER_AVATAR
jordanj
Pilgrim

Re: Sausage Making for Beginners

Postby jordanj » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:35 am

I learn from this site how to make sausage..
bbqqueens USER_AVATAR
bbqqueens
Pilgrim

Postby bbqqueens » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:27 am

Thanks for the anwsers !
Bigcountry
Pilgrim

Postby Bigcountry » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:22 am

I made 10lbs. of pork and beef smoked sausages and the ac leggs blend#10 says 3 tablespoons per 5lbs. of meat. Well I put 6 tbs. in the sausage mix and fried some for mom and the red pepper flakes were hot as she said, how can you reduce the heat before I make the links?
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:36 pm

Bigcountry wrote:I made 10lbs. of pork and beef smoked sausages and the ac leggs blend#10 says 3 tablespoons per 5lbs. of meat. Well I put 6 tbs. in the sausage mix and fried some for mom and the red pepper flakes were hot as she said, how can you reduce the heat before I make the links?

The premix seasonings tend to be get what you get. The red pepper flakes are really pretty popular in sausage mixes.
There only a couple of tips I can offer.
The hot stuff (capsaicin) is soluble in fats so after mixing it up stuffing and smoking enough time has probably elapsed to cause the capsaicin to blend throughout the sausage rather than the individual flakes being hot.
The only other tip is that sweet tends to tone down the heat some so adding some brown sugar to the mix may help. You can add some sugar and do a "Mom" test to see what she thinks.

There are some recipes in the guide that is linked in the first entry of this forum string try those and there are other recipes elsewhere in the forum they are all tried and true you may like them.
tarde venientibus ossa....
Bigcountry
Pilgrim

Postby Bigcountry » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:25 am

Thank you Papa Tom!

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”