Side by side sausage comparison

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:33 pm

Hit the road yesterday morning to attend a reception in Austin. Decided to take 183 and make a few Q stops along the way. First stop was in Lulling where we ran into a large chicken :)

And across the street the water tower is ready for the watermelon festival next week - need to practice up on seed spitting.

Picked up a box of 25 links at City market in Lulling and then drove to Lockhart where we picked up another 25 links at Smitty's. Staying in Lockhart we picked up a couple go plates at Black's (had the dogs in the car and too hot to leave them).

Blacks brisket (went for the moist) was amazing and the spares were pretty good.

Did a side by side comparison with the City Market, Smitty's and Black's beef sausage (had one link of Black's).

Some haba beans and grits on the side

Smitty's was the best but my bride and I have decided we would rather save room for brisket and ribs next time we are on the road.

Have a bunch of visitors this summer and will do some more blind test and send them home with some.

24 2 link packs
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
atcnick USER_AVATAR
atcNick
Outlaw

Postby atcNick » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:40 pm

Sweet!!!

-Nick via Tapatalk
-Nick

Custom R&O Offset
Lang 84D w/Chargriller SOLD
Weber Performer
22" Weber One Touch Gold Kettle
18" Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Smokey Joe
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Re: Side by side sausage comparison

Postby egghead » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:37 pm

Forgot to add that there was a pretty good wait at each stop - all popular joints. So I soaked up a bunch of smoke, especially at Smitty's where you stand right next to the sticks.

When checking into the hotel, the clerk looked around and then asked "have you been to a BBQ joint"? Said "No, was in three" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:44 am

That was a pretty good "Tri-tasta" - - - pretty good "Q" in that neck of the woods.
City Mkt used to be the only place I could find Beef sausage on the way to the Deer Lease.
Was it worth it and would you do the same thing again?
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
geeksmoke USER_AVATAR
GeekSmoke
Rustler

Postby GeekSmoke » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:03 am

My wife is from South Carolina, and it wasn't until we went to Black's, that she finally had brisket she liked. We hope to try all the other joints in that neck of the woods sometime soon.
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."-John 15:13
"Who is John Galt?"-Ayn Rand
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."-Adam Savage
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:10 am

OldUsedParts wrote:That was a pretty good "Tri-tasta" - - - pretty good "Q" in that neck of the woods.
City Mkt used to be the only place I could find Beef sausage on the way to the Deer Lease.
Was it worth it and would you do the same thing again?

Whenever we head to Austin we take 183 and make a stop or two mostly for the ambiance. The Q is good but visiting the joints is even better. :D

We all have our preferences and personally we can put out some pretty nice smoke. One thing for sure, we won't be buying any more beef sausage. Not that it wasn't good. We're pork sausage zealots and take or leave beef sausage.
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:15 am

"Smitty's was the best but my bride and I have decided we would rather save room for brisket and ribs next time we are on the road."

+1

All the joints mentioned -> have good brisket, IMO.

I love reeebs - but when I go to those joints, the lean beef cuts are my favorites.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:28 pm

egghead wrote:One thing for sure, we won't be buying any more beef sausage. Not that it wasn't good. We're pork sausage zealots and take or leave beef sausage.

I'm the same way if I have my "druthers" but some of the bros on the deer lease preferred beef so I was designated picker upper - - - of course I always had my "stash" of pork hot links for emergency purposes only :D
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”