Electrified grinder not stuffing

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txaj65
Pilgrim

Electrified grinder not stuffing

Postby txaj65 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:29 pm

Hi all,

I've been making sausage for 10+ years, and have a question regarding the setup I'm currently using.

I have a Chop-Rite #22 coupled to a gear reduction box, driven by a 1725 RPM motor. I don't remember the exact reduction, but seems like it was in the 70 RPM range at the grinder the last time I did the math.

It grinds OK, not blazing fast, but it will go through 70 pounds in about 20 minutes or so. I've used faster belt/pulley driven grinders, but I like the setup we have now because it's a lot safer.

The problem is when it comes to stuffing. I use a 5/8" stuffing tube and a 2 hole stuffing plate (the kidney shaped holes), and it's SLOW! It doesn't matter whether the blade is in or not, it stuffs at a pace that is intolerably slow. It seems that back pressure from the tube is causing meat to blow back from the auger, and I don't know if the grinder is just worn out, the auger has been replaced with a non-OEM auger, or what. I've also tried this grinder with a pulley driven system and much higher RPMs before and had the same result.

I've used borrowed grinders similar to what I have, and they stuffed great. One friend's would stuff as fast as you could handle, and there wasn't a big difference in the RPMs between it and mine.

Any suggestions? I'd like to get this one working, but I'm not going to use it another year as it is. I don't want to buy another grinder to try only to have the same results, so I'm hoping I can salvage this one.

Thanks for any help,

Andy
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: Electrified grinder not stuffing

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:54 pm

My guess is the auger is a smaller diameter than the throat of the grinder. Also they make a more open plate than that 2hole (BMW) plate.
Now Welcome to the forum you might wonder over to the "Wanted" section and introduce yourself we'd like to know a little bit about ya.
tarde venientibus ossa....
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:08 am

Before I got a stuffer and was stuffing with the Porkert, I'd use the Porkert with no plate or blade when in stuffing mode. Worked ok. Might try your setup sans plate.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
brentski USER_AVATAR
brentski
Cowboy

Postby brentski » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:39 pm

When I ran into this before it was due to the sausage meat being to dry and after reading the instructions we added more water and it stuffed allot better.
harry verdurchi USER_AVATAR
Harry Verdurchi
Rustler

Postby Harry Verdurchi » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:53 pm

brentski wrote:When I ran into this before it was due to the sausage meat being to dry and after reading the instructions we added more water and it stuffed allot better.

Good Call brentski I use a cup of ice water to every batch and a little vegie or olive oil will shoot it out like Greased Owl (you Know) down a drain pipe!
I got First Place in Every Cook Off I ever Entered.
But the Judges most of the Time Gave the Prizes to Someone Else

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”