jalapeño cheddar smoked sausage

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

chaostheory
Rustler

jalapeño cheddar smoked sausage

Postby chaostheory » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:40 pm

Hey fellas iv just opened a bbq joint and have been selling brisket. I'd like to add some jalapeño cheddar cheese sausage to my menu But iv never made it before and have no recipe. Iv cured and smoked sausage and bacon a few times 3 or 4 each. I'd like something that I can just make and throw in the smoker at say 275. And help would be greatly appreciated! !!

Thanks!
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Re: jalapeño cheddar smoked sausage

Postby ChileFarmer » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:01 am

Here is a recipe I like just because I like sage. Its good. CF :D

Jims Jalapeno Cheddar Sausage

1. Ingredients:
o 5 pounds of pork butt, (or ground pork)
o 5 tsp Non Iodized table salt, (or pickling/canning salt)
o 1 tsp ground thyme
o 1 tsp ground marjoram
o 1 tsp ground sage
o 8 jalapenos, finely diced or ground in with the meat (add more jalapenos for extra heat)
o 8 oz high melt cheddar cheese
o 1/2 C. cold water
o *1 tsp of cure #1 (a.k.a. pink salt, InstaCure #1, Prague Powder #1), if you are going to smoke the sausage.
Directions:
10. Prepare peppers by washing them and trimming off the stems.
11. Cube, and grind pork butt through a medium plate. If you are going to grind the jalapenos instead of dicing them, grind them prior to the meat, or grind them with the meat.
 Grinding the peppers with the meat allows the juice from the peppers to distribute into the meat for better flavor.
12. Place ground pork in a large bowl, and add the salt, thyme, marjoram, sage, jalapenos (if you did not grind with meat), cheese and water. Mix until well blended.
 *You must add cure #1 at this stage if you are planning to smoke the sausage.
13. Stuff into 32 mm collagen or 30mm hog casing. You can also make patties or logs and freeze. They are great as a sausage hamburger.
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:35 am

The 275° temperature will be a problem. If you are really good at timing it could work but if not you will have problems.
tarde venientibus ossa....
chaostheory
Rustler

Postby chaostheory » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:04 pm

What problems will I have at 275 for 45 minuets? Im very new at sausage. Iv only made it a few times. Im just trying to do it much like franklin does at his place. Something that is quick and easy to just throw on the smoker and cook until done. Do it need to cold smoke the sausage or can I just cook it?
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:45 am

chaostheory wrote:What problems will I have at 275 for 45 minuets? Im very new at sausage. Iv only made it a few times. Im just trying to do it much like franklin does at his place. Something that is quick and easy to just throw on the smoker and cook until done. Do it need to cold smoke the sausage or can I just cook it?

If you want "smoked" sausage you will need to cold smoke it to get that smoke flavor and mahogany color but there is no good reason not to just cook and serve the sausage. Aaron has a distinct advantage in that he knows when his sausage will be sold and almost exactly how long it will be on the cooker. If you limit the cook time to 45 minutes it may work out fine but the temperature problems with sausage occur when the IT goes beyond 170°F the fat renders out, the protein denatures contracting and forcing the grease (and flavor) out leaving a wrinkled greasy tube with a nice sawdust texture and tough casing.
If you have a warmer (140°F) to hold the sausages until sale that will help a lot.
Keeping the casings from getting dry and tough is another issue, if the cooker has enough moisture or you can baste to help.

Experiment to find out how things work and good fortunes to you.
tarde venientibus ossa....
chaostheory
Rustler

Postby chaostheory » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:42 am

Thank you for the the information. I will do some test runs and see what I come up with.
Raider18
Cowboy

Postby Raider18 » Sat May 16, 2015 11:23 pm

Aaron's sausage is precooked by a vendor he is just warming up the sausage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”