I want to dry cure...

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

grimsawyer USER_AVATAR
Grimsawyer
Pilgrim

I want to dry cure...

Postby Grimsawyer » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:42 am

What is the ratio of salt and tender quick you'd use per pound of pork (or a combo of 65/35 pork/beef) to stuff and dry cure. Have some recepies on spices floating around in my head(made good hot links, wanna goof with some dry, LOL)and I know you don't want your spice amounts to exceed your salt amounts, but what would that be? Also what % of fat is most ideal for dry cured meats? Is tender quick a product that would work for dry cure? Hope to hear from you all soon! Dying to put my spin on some pepperoni's and such... :stir:

(Used some tender quick in some summer sausage that I smoked and it turned out GREAT!!! not enough fat though, and only have hog casings so was a bit skinny, LOL! Was still AWESOME!!!)
magnus392
Pilgrim

Re: I want to dry cure...

Postby magnus392 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:27 pm

This place has a lot of cool recipes, here is their Pepperoni:

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-re ... peroni-dry
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:37 pm

If you look at the pepperoni recipe it includes a bacterial culture for fermentation if you aren't familiar with the requirements of fermenting meat don't try it. Yes it can be done at home but it does take special equipment (unless you live in a Mediterranean environment ).
I'm going to say the same for dry curing meats it is rarely done commercially anymore because of the risk. Things that dry easily like jerky are safe but with larger cuts you must know what you are doing. Have I done it before? Yes. Am I still alive? Yeah. Do I do it anymore? NO. Why? Because it is much easier to safely get good results doing a wet cure.

Sausage for smoking can be safely cured using TQ or pink salt and following a recipe.

BTW Magnus the link you have is to an outstanding site for curing, smoking and sausage making.
tarde venientibus ossa....
magnus392
Pilgrim

Postby magnus392 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:56 pm

Thanks Tom, I haven't used much off of it yet, but come deer season I wanna try some venison summer sausage:)
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:05 pm

Summer Sausage.... the stuff I make isn't dry cured with cultures in a humidity controlled environment. Just meat, curing salts, seasonings and some real low and slow smoking. Bring it up to temp but don't melt the fat. Good stuff to be sure.

Someday perhaps I'll have the stuff to make stuff that costs $20/pound plus but until then its the same old same old.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
s036mgr
Pilgrim

Postby s036mgr » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:21 pm

I believe the cure you are looking for is called insta cure #2. I can speak from experience you do not want to leave the cure out I had to trash 100 pounds of sausage. Also bleach rinse all of your equipment before you start to kill all bacteria. A good book to purchase is Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytec Cutas. It is worth the trouble. I have had good luck the past three years using cold smoke.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:47 pm

s036mgr wrote:I believe the cure you are looking for is called insta cure #2. I can speak from experience you do not want to leave the cure out I had to trash 100 pounds of sausage. Also bleach rinse all of your equipment before you start to kill all bacteria. A good book to purchase is Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytec Cutas. It is worth the trouble. I have had good luck the past three years using cold smoke.

I do not recommend using cure #2 unless you know what you are doing and likely have spent a good deal on equipment.
Stick with cure #1 it works fine for what ever you are going to make until you are an expert at meat curing.
I also am not a huge fan of Rytek Kutas' book it is misleading for a novice by trying to get the rookie sausage maker to buy their supplies from Kutas' business. There really is nothing wrong with what Kutas conveys in his text there are just better guides available. Go buy a book by Marianski the guy behind the website listed above.

Have a good safe cure and enjoy.
atcnick USER_AVATAR
atcNick
Outlaw

I want to dry cure...

Postby atcNick » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:44 am

I 2nd the Marianski books, I've got two of their books.

-Nick via Tapatalk
-Nick

Custom R&O Offset
Lang 84D w/Chargriller SOLD
Weber Performer
22" Weber One Touch Gold Kettle
18" Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Smokey Joe
jarhead USER_AVATAR
Jarhead
Bandolero

Postby Jarhead » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:51 pm

As mentioned stick with wet cure. Much safer for hobbyist and home sausage maker.
My favorites are Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing
and
The Wedliny Domowe Website
"Gunny"
FEC-100, WSM 22.5, WSM 18.5, 3-UDS's and a NB Bandera
Owner/Pitmaster "Debbie's Que Shack"
KCBS CBJ
Jarhead's World on the 26 inch Kettle
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:14 pm

Jarhead wrote:As mentioned stick with wet cure. Much safer for hobbyist and home sausage maker.
My favorites are Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing
and
The Wedliny Domowe Website

I agree with your choices they are good ones.

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”