Smoked Corned Beef aka Mock Pastrami

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

beercuer USER_AVATAR
beercuer
Rustler

Smoked Corned Beef aka Mock Pastrami

Postby beercuer » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Ah,... the woody aroma of hickory fills the air again! You know how when Saint Patrick's Day comes along, corned beef prices get real cheap?-- Well, that's when I stock up. That's what I'm working on today, but to make mock pastramis out of them. First I de-brined them for two days, then slathered with mustard, rubbed with what the little enclosed spice packets are provided, and blasted 'em with coarse ground pepper. Here's what I got going to the pit:

Now they've been on the pit for awhile, and I still have some ways to go. Tonight is the last game of the regular season for the Lakers, and I want to enjoy a good "sports" dinner. Till later... :D
Got beer???
kenny 13 USER_AVATAR
Kenny 13
Outlaw

Re: Smoked Corned Beef aka Mock Pastrami

Postby Kenny 13 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:25 pm

Those are gonna be good once they're done.

You concerned about the way the Lakers have closed out the season? NBA season is over for me after tonight since the Hornets don't even make the playoffs. It's been a long, injury riddled season :?
Large Big Green Egg
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold

What's On The Grill?
beercuer USER_AVATAR
beercuer
Rustler

Postby beercuer » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:41 pm

Hi, Kenny!

I am quite concerned about the Lakers. They have not been playing championship style BB. But I still have hope. Yeah, personal injuries sure can hurt the team overall. Even so, I think your Hornets could take LA right now, given the chance. But I did not say that. I am obliged to "keep the faith." At least you got the Superbowl!!! :D
Got beer???
saltfly USER_AVATAR
saltfly
Pilgrim

Postby saltfly » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:21 pm

Kobe should be in jail.

Go Flyers and Phillies tonight!
tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Postby tex_toby » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:24 pm

I bet that is going to be great, bc! I must admit, I don't remember ever even trying pastrami before. I'd love to have a taste!

The Mavs come on in less than an hour to try and lock in the #2 seed. I'm frying up a little chicken fried chicken for supper!
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.
beercuer USER_AVATAR
beercuer
Rustler

Postby beercuer » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:54 pm

Great minds think alike, Tex.-- I fried some chicken drums last night. Served 'em cold. Fried chicken is excellent sports food, hot or cold.

What are we going to do, amigo? I'd like to see Dallas go all the way, but I have to stay true to the Lakers. And Dallas worrues me. Can't stand Nowitzki (please forgive spelling)-- He just does not miss, and is a real troublemaker. But Dallas is very strong this year. I do hope you enjoy your game.

Wish I could share this pastrami with you. Be great to watch the games together. Plan to turn it into hot pastrami sandwiches on Kaiser rolls with potato salad on the side and stuff. Meanwhile, :D
Got beer???
tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Postby tex_toby » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:52 pm

It all depends on which Mavericks show up to play. We have the Jeckel & Hyde team. I'd love to see them do it, but they have their work cut out for them. :bball: Although the Lakers have been in a slump, I bet things change real fast when those games start to really mean something. :wink:

tex :texas:
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:44 pm

Coriander and Black pepper next time, toss the spice packet. I'm sure it will turn out good. :D
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
kenny 13 USER_AVATAR
Kenny 13
Outlaw

Postby Kenny 13 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:01 pm

tex_toby wrote:It all depends on which Mavericks show up to play. We have the Jeckel & Hyde team. I'd love to see them do it, but they have their work cut out for them. :bball: Although the Lakers have been in a slump, I bet things change real fast when those games start to really mean something. :wink:

Tex, I think you said it all right there. Lakers haven't really had anything to play for lately.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:37 am

what dats said, spice packet is good if you plan to boil or roast it. Coarse BP, Coriander and I like a shake of granulated garlic when I smoke them, Either way it's good eatin!
beercuer USER_AVATAR
beercuer
Rustler

Postby beercuer » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:54 pm

... Several days later,...

Mighty nice of whoever to let me know my post was moved. Sorry I posted in the wrong spot. I merely thought of it as a smoking thing.

DATs & SteerCrazy-- :banana: :banana: :banana: You guys are kidding me, right? Garlic is good (especially fresh minced), but coriander? Coriander can quickly become too overbearing. There is already enough present in the curing solution. If you really want to go the more traditional pastrami route, then ground juniper berries in the rub is for what is called (or alternatively, work in some gin). Please, I have 35 years experience tending the pit, so I ought to know something of which I am talking. In fact, I wrote the definitive "how to" on doing pastrami for another forum. But if coriander floats your boat, go for it, I say.

Anyway, I'll go ahead and share the follow up of my results. May not meet some folks standards, but I was happy with it.

Here is the way it went. These were point, not flat cut, so they had a little mor fat. That's no issue for me.

Here they are when I first put them on the grates:

And here they are just before foiling:

Here is the way it all sliced up. I layered the meat on the Kaiser rolls, wrapped in foil, and heated them in the oven for 15 minutes to get a really good hot pastrami expereience.

At last, here it is plated. I just wuv globs of mustard. I further topped it with the sliced tomatoes and sauerkraut. That's potato salad on the side. Man, that stuff goes good with pastrami. This was a most enjoyable dinner, just right for the game. :D

Got beer???
tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Postby tex_toby » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:17 pm

That looks great, bc. I have never tried anything like that, but I would love to give it a go! :) I'm sure there may be some regional differences regarding different flavors. That said, send any leftovers to me. I'll dispose of it properly. :lol:

Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

beercuer USER_AVATAR
beercuer
Rustler

Postby beercuer » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:27 pm

What a guy!-- Thanks, Tex! True enough, pastrami is a very broad definition, merely meaning a preserved meat. Variations are great, even among packaged varieties. Meanwhile, if you get a chance, simply pick up a sample from your market to give it a try. I swear it's addictive. I sure wish I could get some to you without it spoiling. I look to give it a go with Swiss on rye next.

Seeing that you so enjoy your briskets, I bet you'd enjoy curing and smoking :D one of these from scratch.
Got beer???
kenny 13 USER_AVATAR
Kenny 13
Outlaw

Postby Kenny 13 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:59 pm

Outstanding beercuer! I'm gonna have to give pastrami a try too. I love the deli stuff, but I bet it cannot compare to homemade.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?
beercuer USER_AVATAR
beercuer
Rustler

Postby beercuer » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:02 am

I thank you, Kenny! :D And you are absolutely right-- There is something extra special, satisfying, and fresh about homemade, especially if one does not resort to using Tender Quick (if starting from a regular brisket).

The End.
Got beer???

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”